Excerpt from Pat Summitt's biography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I read the excerpt. Excellent.

Yes, like so many others, my Mom has Alzheimer's, but at least she is 96 and she was 93 before she began exhibiting symptoms. We recently moved her into a small home-style care center with 5 other residents. Like Pat, one of the residents was an early on-set case, although her Alzheimer's is called 'frontal lobe" and leads to muscle control problems before the memory problems begin. This woman has both (now), and it was tragic to see her husband visiting with her, she is in her early 60's.

Incidentally, I think I saw somewhere recently that Pat is living in some sort of "resort style" care facility "while her house is renovated", however, it appears unclear if she is returning to her home at some point.

Reaction Score
Some older guy had a Pat Summit t-shirt at the game this weekend. I thought he might know Pat so I asked him if she was going to be at the game. I'm not sure if he understood what I was asking him but he said something about her "having to be with her brother" for the first game but might come to the second game. He asked me if I knew her. I told him I was just a fan.

Reaction Score
It will hurt, but I want to read this book.

Living in fear, in a parallel world that I could not see, my mother passed away 18 months ago.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm going through it now. I'd be tough for me to read. I've said it before, but old age is the greatest thief the world has ever seen. It takes everything you hold dear, sometimes at knife point. Finally at the end it often takes your dignity.

Reaction Score
I post here having just returned from a visit to the convalescent home to see my wife. After three years or so at home she has been in institutional care for 4 1/2 years now. So I know dementia, up close and personal as they say. She's 72 now and physically pretty healthy . Frontal temporal dementia is her version, and regardless of what name it hides under, it is no fun for family and caretakers. All the money Pat Summitt has will only change where she spends those years, $$ will not get her memory back. I have nothing but the greatest sympathies for Pat's family as they will sit with her and agonize as more and more of who she was fades away. There will be a point where Pat will not know much of the who or where or why of anything. A blessing for her, the curse for Tyler and the rest of her family. I will try to forgive Pat for the false and unfounded and futile complaints over Geno's recruiting sucessess in Pat's back yard over Maya, I will never forget it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I post here having just returned from a visit to the convalescent home to see my wife. After three years or so at home she has been in institutional care for 4 1/2 years now. So I know dementia, up close and personal as they say. She's 72 now and physically pretty healthy . Frontal temporal dementia is her version, and regardless of what name it hides under, it is no fun for family and caretakers. All the money Pat Summitt has will only change where she spends those years, $$ will not get her memory back. I have nothing but the greatest sympathies for Pat's family as they will sit with her and agonize as more and more of who she was fades away. There will be a point where Pat will not know much of the who or where or why of anything. A blessing for her, the curse for Tyler and the rest of her family. I will try to forgive Pat for the false and unfounded and futile complaints over Geno's recruiting sucessess in Pat's back yard over Maya, I will never forget it.
Bill remain strong in your role as a caregiver. Be reassured that she chose you long ago knowing in times like these that you would be there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, there is a new development in Alzheimer's research. Apparently, there is a virus (a phage, actually) that breaks down that protein build up in the brain. The results have been dramatic. Mice have had their senses improved and cognitive function restored. Although a long way away from being a treatment, it is huge development in the fight against this disease. Here's a link to an article on it if anyone is curious.

My prayers go out to anyone who is dealing this disease either personally or through a family member.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm going through it now. I'd be tough for me to read. I've said it before, but old age is the greatest thief the world has ever seen. It takes everything you hold dear, sometimes at knife point. Finally at the end it often takes your dignity.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this issue. Your comment about losing dignity made me truly sad, but I am sure that it comes from the heart. To point, I have only dealt with physical issues but I know that as a diabetic I am more likely to deal with Alzheimer's and any time I have a memory issue it alarms me.

For your sake, and the sake of anyone else dealing with this disease, I hope advancements are made that will bring some relief. God bless you and my prayers are with you.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It will hurt, but I want to read this book.

Living in fear, in a parallel world that I could not see, my mother passed away 18 months ago.

I am sorry for your loss. I know that watching your mom deal with this disease must have been incredibly painful and I am sorry that you had to go through that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I know that the hatred for Tennessee is pretty stiff here, but I truly would like for everyone to consider letting bygones be bygones and not make disparaging remarks about her. She is one of the great icons in women's basketball and is responsible for much of the development of the game in the US. In the big picture she deserves everyone's respect.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I am sorry that you are dealing with this issue. Your comment about losing dignity made me truly sad, but I am sure that it comes from the heart. To point, I have only dealt with physical issues but I know that as a diabetic I am more likely to deal with Alzheimer's and any time I have a memory issue it alarms me.

For your sake, and the sake of anyone else dealing with this disease, I hope advancements are made that will bring some relief. God bless you and my prayers are with you.
Thank you. And to be clear, it is my mother who has the onset. It was selfish and irresponsible of me to lead anyone to believe it was I who has ALZ. As if somehow it's all about me. It is however comforting to know others care.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
This is a timely post as it will be 5 years on Saturday since my mom passed away. She was afflicted with Alzheimer's, though it was ultimately repeated bouts with pneumonia that killed her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom