Ex-Big East commissioner Aresco enjoying success with new conference | The Boneyard

Ex-Big East commissioner Aresco enjoying success with new conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ugh. It makes me mad that we won trophies for this crappy conference still headquartered in Providence.

PROVIDENCE — Whether he’s at the Final Four, a big-time football bowl game or dining in a favorite restaurant near his apartment in Providence, Mike Aresco always finds himself selling the American Athletic Conference. It’s a job that’s getting easier by the month.

UConn’s titles mean the NCAA’s basketball championship trophies will remain in the American’s sparkling offices in the Capital Center district.

Since he took over the helm of the Big East in August of 2012, Aresco says he’s come to enjoy Providence. The American has a long-term lease on its Park Row offices and a staff with such employees as senior associate commissioners Tom Odjakjian and Donna DeMarco, who have lived in Rhode Island for more than 20 years.
“Providence is a great city and we’ve kept the majority of our staff and no one is looking to move,” Aresco said. “Our membership didn’t see any reason to move the office and lose some great staff members. We’re all about the future and creating something good for this collection of schools.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...esco-enjoying-success-with-new-conference.ece

Reaction Score
Ugh. It makes me mad that we won trophies for this crappy conference still headquartered in Providence.

PROVIDENCE — Whether he’s at the Final Four, a big-time football bowl game or dining in a favorite restaurant near his apartment in Providence, Mike Aresco always finds himself selling the American Athletic Conference. It’s a job that’s getting easier by the month.

UConn’s titles mean the NCAA’s basketball championship trophies will remain in the American’s sparkling offices in the Capital Center district.

Since he took over the helm of the Big East in August of 2012, Aresco says he’s come to enjoy Providence. The American has a long-term lease on its Park Row offices and a staff with such employees as senior associate commissioners Tom Odjakjian and Donna DeMarco, who have lived in Rhode Island for more than 20 years.
“Providence is a great city and we’ve kept the majority of our staff and no one is looking to move,” Aresco said. “Our membership didn’t see any reason to move the office and lose some great staff members. We’re all about the future and creating something good for this collection of schools.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...esco-enjoying-success-with-new-conference.ece

No mention that is a dead conference walking.

Reaction Score
I know I shouldn't hate someone I don't know, but I can't help but despise Aresco. So much.

Reaction Score
Between the lines......we are locked in to a long-term lease and can't afford to break it and relocate. At least, I hope that is the reason they are staying

Reaction Score
His membership didn't see a reason to move the offices b/c every member is looking to move thru the AAC to a P5 conference so they could not give a where the offices are located.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would guess that Regus is in Aresco's address book.

Reaction Score
His membership didn't see a reason to move the offices b/c every member is looking to move thru the AAC to a P5 conference so they could not give a where the offices are located.

It is particularly insulting that the AAC remains in Providence - it was the Providence centric leadership of the old BE that doomed it. But SH, WM and the BOT will just grin and bear it while they feverishly work to get us out of the gulag. UConn wants to take no ownership of any AAC decisions - it just wants "OUT" ASAP!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Everyone, we need to take it easy. I've heard it mentioned more than once that we are remaining in Providence because it would cost more not to remain there. And with our $hitty tv contract, does anyone actually want to spend MORE of our money to be in a city like NYC? Additionally, with our current membership, does anyone believe that the headquarters would remain in the northeast if we moved it?!?

The guy is trying to sell the conference as hard as he can. That's a good thing. Because if we end up stuck in this conference by the time 2019 rolls around, I want us to have the best chance possible for a decent renegotiation of the tv contract. So I hope he continues to sell the hell out of this conference...

Reaction Score
Everyone, we need to take it easy. I've heard it mentioned more than once that we are remaining in Providence because it would cost more not to remain there. And with our $hitty tv contract, does anyone actually want to spend MORE of our money to be in a city like NYC? Additionally, with our current membership, does anyone believe that the headquarters would remain in the northeast if we moved it?!?

The guy is trying to sell the conference as hard as he can. That's a good thing. Because if we end up stuck in this conference by the time 2019 rolls around, I want us to have the best chance possible for a decent renegotiation of the tv contract. So I hope he continues to sell the hell out of this conference...

No matter how you slice it, Hell by definition is hot and no one escapes. Therefore making all the excuses in the world on how he is trying to sell it, is IMO just not good enough. We are trapped, just one more thing about the AAC that is awful, The conference cannot move its headquarters IF it wanted to. There is zero flexibility on any of the decisions. I just wonder, why when the C-7 took the Big East nomenclature/Brand, they didn't keep the Providence offices with this illustrious staff??? In fact to think we are headquartered in a state with no real football! What does that tell you? how in the world do you sell / spin that? Best to not even talk about it then to make it look like the mud on your face is make-up. Really, everyone else knows it for what it is. Again, don't sell what can't be sold, ignore it, and hope it just goes away or gloss over it. And why would it be bad to be headquartered in the NorthEast??? Maybe for UConn having permanent offices in the football rich south would actually be better-again just my opinion!

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just kills me that this jackhole couldn't say anything nice about us, hell he barely mentioned us while shouting the virtues of 'ville who was on the way out and now he gets to talk about being at the helm while two more NCs were added to the conference resume? pal, just .

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No matter how you slice it, Hell by definition is hot and no one escapes. Therefore making all the excuses in the world on how he is trying to sell it, is IMO just not good enough. We are trapped, just one more thing about the AAC that is awful, The conference cannot move its headquarters IF it wanted to. There is zero flexibility on any of the decisions. I just wonder, why when the C-7 took the Big East nomenclature/Brand, they didn't keep the Providence offices with this illustrious staff??? In fact to think we are headquartered in a state with no real football! What does that tell you? how in the world do you sell / spin that? Best to not even talk about it then to make it look like the mud on your face is make-up. Really, everyone else knows it for what it is. Again, don't sell what can't be sold, ignore it, and hope it just goes away or gloss over it. And why would it be bad to be headquartered in the NorthEast??? Maybe for UConn having permanent offices in the football rich south would actually be better-again just my opinion!

Let me slow your roll a little bit and ask you a serious question: Do you honestly believe that it matters, even one iota, where our head offices are located? I mean, seriously. Even one iota?!?

The question is of course rhetorical, since I can tell you with great certainty that it does not matter at all. Not one bit. It doesn't change our membership. It doesn't change our contract. It doesn't change our ability to succeed in the conference and / or leave it. For clarity's sake, I wasn't suggesting that we need to keep the headquarters in the northeast. I was saying that a move from Providence would likely be a move away from the northeast, for those who believe that we MUST be in NYC like our C-7 counterparts. It really really really really really doesn't matter. A cheaper lease....that's fine with me....

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco isn't our biggest problem. In fact HIS biggest problem has been that everything he has PREDICTED has been wrong. We lost the BCS bid (I know no more BCS) the TV contract wasn't lucrative, the bowls pretty much suck despite him claiming otherwise.

Overall though, I feel he inherrited an impossible situation and while he hasn't distinguished himself he sure is better than the last clown who was commissioner of the league we were in. He is better just by not being named John Marinatto.

Reaction Score
I just wish people would understand what actually took place. Same conference, different name. The New Big East is the new conference, and it stinks. Mike Aresco took over the conference which has been UCONN's home for over 30 years and he's doing a great job.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know if it was Aresco's fault or not, but the conference can't afford a commissioner making $1MM/year when there is no revenue. We need a cheaper commissioner.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In hindsight it would have been nice to stick the C7 with the lease as part of the exit agreement.

Problem with that, is the American kept the old BE staff who probably live close by. I'll assume the judgement Aresco and the schools made was that continuity of staff trumped a better location.

I don't know if that'd be enough to remain in Providence under that lease but at least it's something.

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco goes to sleep every night thinking, "OMG, they are actually paying me to do this. WTF did I do today?"

Read the article about Aresco in the Orlando Sun Sentinel from Sunday, 4/20. He actually believes he and the AAC had something to do with UConn's success. But being delusional pays pretty well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom