ESPN's Top 25 For Next Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN's Top 25 For Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Tennessee has A LOT of talent but like the article said, it all depends on that talent learning to play together. If they do learn (and I think they will), they're easily a final four team. SC fans know Deshields very well and if she's anything like she was her freshmen year then SC will have it's work cut out for them in the SEC this year. I really think it's 2a and 2b with SC and Tennessee next year.

Agree. I think Tennessee's addition of Diamond DeShields and Mercedes Russell improves the talent for the entire team. But Holly has yet to show that she can balance this team full of talented young ladies. This is what separates good coaches from really good ones. DeShields is going to "jack up" tons a shots a game (just a prediction) and this reminds me of M. Simmons. Look where that got them.........no where. But, DeShields is a much better player than Simmons.

Baylor is going to be a very tough out for anyone.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Baylor wins a third NC any season from here on, it will be on a roster completely different from 2012...which was completely different from 2005. That would be three "standalone" championships,a potential feat for Kim Mulkey that only Pat Summitt and Geno Auriemma have accomplished. I don't see 2015-16 as Baylor's year, but Kim has her program headed in the right direction yet again.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I really like #1. After that, eh, it's early. Not sure S. Carolina is gonna be much better than they were this year. And most teams are going to improve quite a bit. I think losing the senior leadership of Welch and Ibiam could hurt. But Mitchell will most likely take that over. Really depends on how big a Soph jump Wilson, White, Cuevas get.

I'll give Muffett some credit, I still think ND will be good. Better than Maryland anyway. Even losing Loyd (big loss), but returning Allen (who may be the 2nd best PG in the country), Turner (who I think can be as good if not better than Wilson), Reimer (who seems to be getting it together) is a good core. Add in a really nice recruiting class, along with Mabrey (Sr), Westbeld and Huffman. Should still be a very formidable team.

I think Duke could be better next year too. Granted Williams will be a big loss. But what they were missing this last year (besides a decent coach) was guard play. And they got that coming in spades. Lambert (McD AA) and Salvadores will definitely help there. Allow Greenwell to play the 2/3. They also have Belton (McD AA) coming back from injury. Plenty of height and now some decent guards. Just have to see if they can put it together.

Baylor will be really good too. Losing Agbuke, but adding in 2 AA bigs (Brown, Mompremier), with Johnson, Davis, Prince, Wallace coming back. Still also have Small and Wright. AND you add in Alexis Jones. That's a heck of a team.

Tennessee should also have a great shot at getting back to the FF. Adding in Deshields and Russell, that's a lot of talent. On talent alone, without good coaching, they should be formidable. Cooper is going to be a player for them too. On paper they look really good next year. Have to see what Warlick can do.

Not sure why Florida St was so low. They've already proved themselves better than UNC and Louisville and they have all their main players coming back. ???

Louisville loses a bit with the seniors, Hammond, Smith and Schimmel. They will be talented with Hines-Allen, Moore, Durr, Cole, but very young.

UNC loses some leadership too. But with McDaniels coming back they should be ok, Probably about what they were this year.

Maryland should be as good as last year, but not improving a lot. (while other teams do) I can see them winning the B1G again, but not a FF team again. Just thing there will other teams stronger.

Texas should be good too. Better than last year. They probably weren't as bad as UCONN made them look. They basically bring everyone back, and add in 2 very good recruits. With Stafford, Lang, VanderZee, Hosey across the top, and Davenport, Atkins, McCarty, Higgs in the backcourt, they are looking pretty good.

UCLA wasn't listed at all. Teams that win the NIT usually have a pretty decent following year. Their 2014 recruiting class was excellent (Canada, Caldwell, Drummer). As sophomores we might see them step up. They bring back most of their starters, and add in a decent FR post player. I expect they'll land somewhere in the teens in the polls next season.

All in all, should be a good WBB season next year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Always fun to speculate I guess, but in a sport that is famed supposedly for being so "predictable," it's also interesting to see how Creme did with the 2014-15 "way too early" preview, actually done last year in July.

Top 2 in NC: UConn (1 right)
Top 4 who got to FF: UConn, USCar (2 right)
Top 8 who got to E8: UConn, ND, USCar, UTenn (4 right)
Top 16 who got to S16: UConn, ND, USCar, UTenn, Texas, Louisville, Maryland, Duke, Iowa, Baylor, UNC (11 right)

So for the total of 30 prediction associations with final performance, the rate is 60%. Kind of ehhh for such a no-surprises sport. A lot will happen before March rolls around again.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not sure why Florida St was so low. They've already proved themselves better than UNC and Louisville and they have all their main players coming back. ???

I had the same thought. FSU loses basically just Conwright, who is good but not a massive loss. He's ignoring what FSU's returning players have already done while giving Louisville's freshman credit before they even step on campus.

I also think Duke is too low. There's some serious "Ewing Theory" potential with Elizabeth Williams and having more than one guard who can actually handle the ball will be an immense help for them.

UNC is too high for me. I think ND's about right...maybe I'd argue for better than Maryland because ND has so thoroughly pantsed them the last two times they've played.

I'm fine with where he's put Tenn. but they have a lot to prove to me. When I watched them this year, their tendency was to bog down into players taking turns going 1-on-5. That worries me because that also seems to be DeShields preferred method of playing basketball. If it all comes together, they will be special but I could see it going either way.

Reaction Score
When Diggins departed, all the so-called "expoits" jumped off the ND bandwagon. Same thing happened when McBride left. Now it's Jewell saying bye-bye that causes folks to insist that the Irish have fallen off the elite map. When's everyone gonna give Muffett her obviously deserved due? I think Tenn will be hugely improved, and maybe even second best, but ND will still be right there!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm fine with where he's put Tenn. but they have a lot to prove to me. When I watched them this year, their tendency was to bog down into players taking turns going 1-on-5. That worries me because that also seems to be DeShields preferred method of playing basketball. If it all comes together, they will be special but I could see it going either way.
However, she's really really good at it. And for most teams they play, that should be enough.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
However, she's really really good at it. And for most teams they play, that should be enough.

Yeah, they'll get away with not playing team offense just like they did most of this year. But it will matter when it comes to the elite 8 and getting them over the hump and back to the final four.

Reaction Score
Back in the day when widespread hope existed on this Board that Diamond would play for UConn, her abundant talents were extravagantly recognized. Interesting how she suddenly became a less-valued commodity when she elected to go elsewhere. Sorry, but she's the real deal, as is that Freshman guard Tenn has coming in....they will be formidable, and, even if Vol-hate is in our collective DNA, Holly will do just fine with them. I put them and ND ahead of SC for next year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes with her talent and skill level. I think she will be The best player at Tennssee since Parker.The opponents will have to know where she is. The other thing is having Russell back. A fully healthy player who can score and block shots. I think we will see why she was the top ranked player out of HS. Even ranked ahead of Diamond.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Back in the day when widespread hope existed on this Board that Diamond would play for UConn, her abundant talents were extravagantly recognized. Interesting how she suddenly became a less-valued commodity when she elected to go elsewhere. Sorry, but she's the real deal, as is that Freshman guard Tenn has coming in....they will be formidable, and, even if Vol-hate is in our collective DNA, Holly will do just fine with them. I put them and ND ahead of SC for next year.

I like to think I've been skeptical of DeShields since before it was cool.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had the same thought. FSU loses basically just Conwright, who is good but not a massive loss. He's ignoring what FSU's returning players have already done while giving Louisville's freshman credit before they even step on campus.

I also think Duke is too low. There's some serious "Ewing Theory" potential with Elizabeth Williams and having more than one guard who can actually handle the ball will be an immense help for them.

I put FSU at 6...... but after thinking about it..... I probably would have them at 5 ahead of MD. Romero is at worst the 3rd best PG in the country next year.

Im not sure what "Ewing Theory" means...:confused: But I look forward to Duke being a under the radar team next season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Diggins departed, all the so-called "expoits" jumped off the ND bandwagon. Same thing happened when McBride left. Now it's Jewell saying bye-bye that causes folks to insist that the Irish have fallen off the elite map. When's everyone gonna give Muffett her obviously deserved due? I think Tenn will be hugely improved, and maybe even second best, but ND will still be right there!
I agree, though we knew that McBride was talented before Skylar left, and we knew that Loyd was very talented before McBride left. I'm not sure who is the next star player there, especially at guard. But I think that Turner may be an AA next year and Lindsay Allen is really good. My guess is that at least one of the freshman guards will be an impact player early join. My guess is Ogunbowale, because of her aggressiveness. My top 5 are UConn, Baylor, ND, SC, and Tenn. I also agree that Duke MAY be very underrated. They may have been too dependent on Williams, and clearly they were missing guards. Greenwell and Stevens should be very good, and Salvadores could be a star. Can JPM coach them up?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I put FSU at 6. but after thinking about it..... I probably would have them at 5 ahead of MD. Romero is at worst the 3rd best PG in the country next year.

Im not sure what "Ewing Theory" means...:confused: But I look forward to Duke being a under the radar team next season.

It's a Bill Simmons concept: http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711 The idea is based off the fact that Ewing was a highly-hyped star yet his teams often played better without him. The qualifications for the Ewing Theory are:
  1. A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).
  2. That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's a Bill Simmons concept: http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1193711 The idea is based off the fact that Ewing was a highly-hyped star yet his teams often played better without him. The qualifications for the Ewing Theory are:
  1. A star athlete receives an inordinate amount of media attention and fan interest, and yet his teams never win anything substantial with him (other than maybe some early-round playoff series).
  2. That same athlete leaves his team (either by injury, trade, graduation, free agency or retirement) -- and both the media and fans immediately write off the team for the following season.
Good theory. Good article. Williams could be a prime example.

Reaction Score
Tennessee will have a ton of talent.... Especially with the players they are adding to the roster. What happened with Russell this year???? They make me nervous....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tennessee will have a ton of talent.... Especially with the players they are adding to the roster. What happened with Russell this year???? They make me nervous....
Surgery on both her feet. Supposedly, she is back 100%.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

You should be. I think Tennessee will be very good next year. Final Four good. If Warlick doesn't come through with all of that talent on the roster.. her continued employment as HC should seriously be under consideration. Tennessee is STACKED. I am NOT looking forward to playing them next year. They are always pumped up to play SC.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Always fun to speculate I guess, but in a sport that is famed supposedly for being so "predictable," it's also interesting to see how Creme did with the 2014-15 "way too early" preview, actually done last year in July.

Top 2 in NC: UConn (1 right)
Top 4 who got to FF: UConn, USCar (2 right)
Top 8 who got to E8: UConn, ND, USCar, UTenn (4 right)
Top 16 who got to S16: UConn, ND, USCar, UTenn, Texas, Louisville, Maryland, Duke, Iowa, Baylor, UNC (11 right)

So for the total of 30 prediction associations with final performance, the rate is 60%. Kind of ehhh for such a no-surprises sport. A lot will happen before March rolls around again.

First, using all of the predictions and adding them together assumes they are of equal value. It is harder to gauge the Sweet 16, as there are a lot of variables, including injuries. It may be predictable at the top, but only at the very top.

11 out of 16 teams correct in the 2015 Sweet 16 when the preview was done in April 2014? That is pretty darn impressive. That was before major transfers were announced. That is before the impact of injuries that take place in the offseason. Give credit where it is due; Crème did a good job with his predictions last year.

Reaction Score
Yes with her talent and skill level. I think she will be The best player at Tennssee since Parker.The opponents will have to know where she is. The other thing is having Russell back. A fully healthy player who can score and block shots. I think we will see why she was the top ranked player out of HS. Even ranked ahead of Diamond.
I agree that DD will be the best player at Tenn since Parker, but those are lofty expectations for Russell. If she is back "100%" she still hasn't played up to speed basketball an a entire year. Her freshman year she did some nice things but nothing that screamed best freshman in the world... and I've heard some say it was because she was bothered with her foot but even then that makes what 2 years she's been 100%? I think Russell needs to embrace the defensive anchor role her first season back for Tenn to be a top 3 squad. There will be plenty of shots thrown up in Tenn offense next year. Tenn just needs her to clean up the misses.

I do not expect DD to have a dropoff in her game like some may want to say. The difference between her and Russell is she has been practicing with the team ALL YEAR. She still is in basketball shape. If anything it will take her a month of games if not sooner to officially be back in "game shape"... Does Tenn play Baylor next year? That will be a MUST SEE.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I agree that DD will be the best player at Tenn since Parker, but those are lofty expectations for Russell. If she is back "100%" she still hasn't played up to speed basketball an a entire year. Her freshman year she did some nice things but nothing that screamed best freshman in the world... and I've heard some say it was because she was bothered with her foot but even then that makes what 2 years she's been 100%? I think Russell needs to embrace the defensive anchor role her first season back for Tenn to be a top 3 squad. There will be plenty of shots thrown up in Tenn offense next year. Tenn just needs her to clean up the misses.

I do not expect DD to have a dropoff in her game like some may want to say. The difference between her and Russell is she has been practicing with the team ALL YEAR. She still is in basketball shape. If anything it will take her a month of games if not sooner to officially be back in "game shape"... Does Tenn play Baylor next year? That will be a MUST SEE.
Yes Diamond is a elite athlete. The thing I was saying about Russell. Yes she missed the past season. I think because she is now fully health. We will see a lot more of her game this year. Yes she will get some points on rebounds. At times she will get the ball on offense also. She has been practicing since Janurary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom