ESPN U First Night Flyaround | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN U First Night Flyaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
People just kind of look different down in Kentucky. They have a very distinct look, those people in the crowd.
Cal said UK was the only one doing this anymore, and that 80=90% of the people there couldn't get tickets so this was for them. He's a humanitarian.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
The ESPNU round table threw out some high praise for KO during the broadcast. It is around the 1:30 mark if you DVR'd it. Jay Williams said that at 21 he would drive from Chicago to Milwaukee to break down game film. The whole panel gushed about KO & JC.

It was great as they had to interrupt a conversation about the Syracuse NCAA investigation to watch UConn unveil two Banners.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cal said UK was the only one doing this anymore, and that 80=90% of the people there couldn't get tickets so this was for them. He's a humanitarian.

Did anyone notice how ginormous Calipari is, a regular butterball.

Reaction Score
Hey dummy. I didn't say UCONN's show was unimpressive It was great on the thrice. I was talking about the u's presentation. I take it you work for Disney
Sorry, I thought you were insulting the show UConn put on, I guess I'm so used to posters whining about things on this board. Trust me I dislike pretty much everything about ESPN.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
ESPN has already crowned Kentucky. It only goes down from here.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice how ginormous Calipari is, a regular butterball.
He also had a bald spot last year that looks like it's been taken care of. They let him sit at the podium with the "analysts" during the first half of his scrimmage and nobody else could get a word in.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kentucky's players get the hype. UConn is under the radar. I like it that way. Less distractions early in the season.
The UConn players won't get any better or worse because the media is talking about other programs. It's up to KO and the players to show the world what they have. We'll see what happens.

I thought the UConn coverage was outstanding. They showed an enthusiastic crowd, highlighted Ray's appearance, emphasized UConn's championships and talked up KO. Loved when Jay Wright was going on and on about KO, suddenly realized he was talking up a rival and stopped. I came away feeling UConn's recruiting strongly benefitted from what took place at Gampel and the coverage of the night.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
100% agree.... Was there a 3 point contest? Who won? Espn3 ended after scrimmage

Kentucky's players get the hype. UConn is under the radar. I like it that way. Less distractions early in the season.
The UConn players won't get any better or worse because the media is talking about other programs. It's up to KO and the players to show the world what they have. We'll see what happens.

I thought the UConn coverage was outstanding. They showed an enthusiastic crowd, highlighted Ray's appearance, emphasized UConn's championships and talked up KO. Loved when Jay Wright was going on and on about KO, suddenly realized he was talking up a rival and stopped. I came away feeling UConn's recruiting strongly benefitted from what took place at Gampel and the coverage of the night.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you guys didn't watch the ESPN3 feed, you f---ed up.

My lord, UConn smacked this one out of the park.

Kentucky was happy to have Drake. We had Ray Allen.

We won again.

Did Drake do his Alex Rodriguez impression? Damn lethal!

Reaction Score
Watching the replay of UConn First Night reply on ESPN3. Sweet!

Reaction Score
I guess I'm outta luck with "The Undisputed Leader in Sports" (DIRECTV). Currently watching ESPNU's replay: a sweaty Sean Miller in short shorts and Dickie V being a parody of a parody of himself.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
100% agree.... Was there a 3 point contest? Who won? Espn3 ended after scrimmage

The preliminaries ran long so they bagged the three-point contest - I think the night was the better for it.

Again, if anyone hasn't seen the event, go to ESPN3 and watch the replay. UConn did a brilliant job from start to finish.

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
Its alright uk talk, is just that "talk" and talk has been proven cheap.

We don't need talk, we are blue collar, putting work in. If you think about it we historically aren't spotlighted until March/April. College basketball needs uk, dook, vitale, espn, etc. The only reason we need them is to have someone or something to move out of our way, stomp on, or embarrass/humiliate. I love to gloat that we are bigger than all of that, we are at the top.

There are a lot of kansas, dooks, uks, mich states, etc. out there but only one King of college basketball. So fans and joe public can relate to those 'princesses', hence the big target audience.
We are all alone. Everyone and Everything else actually don't know how we (i.e. UConn world) are living, so I give them some slack and actually understand what's happening. They are all wannabes.

Rings, Trophies and Championships are the results of our actions, no words needed!

This pic is who we are in college basketball, and what other fan or broadcaster can relate to riding in this?

I'm sure Herb Chambers is a fan.

I woke up in a new Bugatti!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He would have to be really freaking good to start over Purvis or Hamilton, not a bad problem to have.
yeah but purivs didnt transfer to not start... he's good enough to start... cassell should come in and run the offense when boat is out

Reaction Score
TT had tubby smith dress as shaft and drive a bike into the arena... Didn't end well...

I'm so glad Uconn does do cheap stuff like this. Kevin Ollie is too legit to be dressing up like a fool.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad Uconn does do cheap stuff like this. Kevin Ollie is too legit to be dressing up like a fool.
I kind of liked it although it didn't end well.

Reaction Score
watched some of this. Missed Vitale and his annual suck fest to Calipari, and Coach K. It's like the never ending loop. Same ***T, different Day. Duckie V, slathering over UK, and Duke. Hasn't this gotten a little old. Time for Duckie V to retire to the Villages in Florida. He has outlived his relevance. As to the madness night. Was impressive to see Ray Allen, and all the girls return to the nest, for the adulation. Seth Greenberg, and Jay Wright had it RIGHT, about Kevin Ollie, and his love affair with Uconn. It's home, and the atmosphere that keeps him here. You do notice the friendship/"affection" between Kevin and Geno. This is real, not contrived/strained like the former relationship between Geno and JC. That, in and of itself it a positive. All in all, UK had the glitz, and pseudo rock star................UC, had the real stars Sue, Becca, Maria, Shea, and the big star, Ray, to trump the nonsense in Lexington. Advantage..................UCONN.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I thought you were insulting the show UConn put on, I guess I'm so used to posters whining about things on this board. Trust me I dislike pretty much everything about ESPN.

Thanks. Your not a dummy, your a great fan. Sorry for the insult

Reaction Score
yeah but purivs didnt transfer to not start... he's good enough to start... cassell should come in and run the offense when boat is out

I'm thinking all 3 start - Boat, Rodney and Sam Jr and the 4 is open!! TSam as the backup point off the bench.........

Reaction Score
watched some of this. Missed Vitale and his annual suck fest to Calipari, and Coach K. It's like the never ending loop. Same ***T, different Day. Duckie V, slathering over UK, and Duke. Hasn't this gotten a little old. Time for Duckie V to retire to the Villages in Florida. He has outlived his relevance. As to the madness night. Was impressive to see Ray Allen, and all the girls return to the nest, for the adulation. Seth Greenberg, and Jay Wright had it RIGHT, about Kevin Ollie, and his love affair with Uconn. It's home, and the atmosphere that keeps him here. You do notice the friendship/"affection" between Kevin and Geno. This is real, not contrived/strained like the former relationship between Geno and JC. That, in and of itself it a positive. All in all, UK had the glitz, and pseudo rock star......UC, had the real stars Sue, Becca, Maria, Shea, and the big star, Ray, to trump the nonsense in Lexington. Advantage...UCONN.

Do we really always have to relive the "Geno/JC strained relationship" every time we see Geno and KO hug or smile at each other? It's irrelevant all they did was win championships while coaching in the same building do they need to mount each other for everyone to have been happy?

Vitale better be talking about Kentucky and Duke, they have 20 McD AA's between them while we have our guys who are ranked in the middle of the pack. Who actually cares if they talk about our guys because they always surprise? Heck being Drake's "2nd father" is really impressive anyway isn't it?:rolleyes:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm outta luck with "The Undisputed Leader in Sports" (DIRECTV). Currently watching ESPNU's replay: a sweaty Sean Miller in short shorts and Dickie V being a parody of a parody of himself.
@tcf15 has posted this. You may have missed it. Should have the ESPN3 broadcast available on uconnhuskygames this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom