ESPN supporting Houston move to Big XII? | The Boneyard

ESPN supporting Houston move to Big XII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If this happens and the Big XII also invites UCF, Cincy and possibly Memphis, the AAC should get adequate replacement parts and can survive until UCONN gets an invite to the B1G or ACC. You know they have contingency plans already in place.

If those four were to go, the American would probably invite UMASS, a good local rivalry for UCONN. I could also see a Florida International who just beat UCF and is also huge with 47,000 students. The AAC would also probably raid CUSA for the best of the rest. The AAC's superior TV contract (to CUSA's) might attract some of the teams from CUSA or possibly a Northern IL from the MAC. Obviously the AAC's TV contract is no where near what the old Big East' was but better thn CUSA's or the MAC.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/7/9/8925259/espn-ready-to-support-houston-to-big-12

Reaction Score
First of all, that bleacher report article is date for July 9th. It's hypothesis by fans & should be treated as such.
Second, if true, will ESPN also support changing the name of the XII back to the Southwest Conference as, save for Rice & SMU, that old conference will have been resurrected like a phoenix from the ashes?

Reaction Score
It does appear like a possible resurgence of the SWC, which was pretty dam good. I know a one week showing on the field is no precursor of future success(es), there is a new coach at SMU that has the locals fired up. Certainly resulted in an uptick in recruiting in the 2015 class. If team progress, performance, and fan interests continues to accelerate in the wake of their performance against Baylor, I could see the new SWC, aka expanded Big 12, taking SMU (for the Dallas market) as opposed to Memphis

Reaction Score
Carl,
I always appreciate you positive outlook. You may be going a bit too far today! ;)

If those 4 leave the AAC, I'm going to jump on fishy's bandwagon...we're screwed!

I say we join the Yankee Conference

Reaction Score
If this happens and the Big XII also invites UCF, Cincy and possibly Memphis, the AAC should get adequate replacement parts and can survive until UCONN gets an invite to the B1G or ACC. You know they have contingency plans already in place.

If those four were to go, the American would probably invite UMASS, a good local rivalry for UCONN. I could also see a Florida International who just beat UCF and is also huge with 47,000 students. The AAC would also probably raid CUSA for the best of the rest. The AAC's superior TV contract (to CUSA's) might attract some of the teams from CUSA or possibly a Northern IL from the MAC. Obviously the AAC's TV contract is no where near what the old Big East' was but better thn CUSA's or the MAC.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/7/9/8925259/espn-ready-to-support-houston-to-big-12

If we lose UCF, Cincy, Memphis, and Houston, I would add Marshall, Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, and WKU. It would suck because Cincy is the closest thing to a brand name left in the conference (other than us, of course), but Marshall provides a decent replacement in that regard. The other three bring solid basketball and adequate football. I don't want UMass. NIU would be a good choice, also. I could see grabbing them instead of WKU or ODU.

Reaction Score
kill me.jpg

Reaction Score

And that's why you're called 'Confident' Carl....I do love you're positive views though esp in contrast to the gloom and doom posters. You're right though...with some of these names/candidates being tossed around in CR it seems UConn must already be on someones 'B1G/ACC' unofficial 'in waiting' list or the CR world has gone mad.

Reaction Score
If that all happens, dropping football and going back to the Big East becomes a very viable option.

Reaction Score
The Big XII is likely going to expand at some point and we aren't an option even though our conference mates are. This isn't news to anyone, and is this source or site even valid at all anyway?

Reaction Score

I appreciate the optimism, but in reality if these schools find a spot in a P5 conference and we are still on the outside looking in, I give up. No way does a land grant state university (ranked in the top 60 nationally) with as good of an athletic department as us gets left out over these schools. If that is the case, we go independent or take up the DEFCON5 plan of dropping football and go back to the Big East.

pj

Reaction Score
The Big XII is likely going to expand at some point and we aren't an option even though our conference mates are. This isn't news to anyone, and is this source or site even valid at all anyway?

The only reason UConn wouldn't be considered is if we are ticketed to a better conference. As Sherlock Holmes would have said, the dog that isn't barking in these news stories is telling us a lot.

Reaction Score
Carl,
I always appreciate you positive outlook. You may be going a bit too far today! ;)

If those 4 leave the AAC, I'm going to jump on fishy's bandwagon...we're screwed!

Quite frankly, I am being more realistic than most. The Big XII is eventually going to expand because they need to have a playoff. I would be shocked if they didn't pluck the best football schools in the American. If that happens the replacements should work out although it makes a Mike Aresco "Power 6" conference less likely.
The AAC will still be a decent G5 conference with the best and most logical replacement teams they can get. UCONN just needs to get better in Football and hope we get an invite to either the B1G or the ACC. I think that's being pretty real.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If that all happens, dropping football and going back to the Big East becomes a very viable option.

NO! Not until 2020. If we're still in the AAC at the start of 2020 and the AAC is UConn + 11 rope a dope schools, then we can open up that can.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) I don't buy it. I understand political pressure and all that, but why would a network rubber-stamp a deal that fails to expand a conference's footprint?

2) Let's say that did happen....ESPN would fold up the contract and I think the AAC would no longer be viable as an ongoing concern.

Reaction Score
If we get screwed we should just start up a niche Yankee conference 2.0 and get competitive in New England ( in football) Just state to state rivalry.

Keep basketball in a league, or go completely independant and book 2-3 games a year in each P5 conference and the rest whomever.

Please Big 10 though.

Reaction Score
The only reason UConn wouldn't be considered is if we are ticket to a better conference. As Sherlock Holmes would have said, the dog that isn't barking in these news stories is telling us a lot.
I'd love for you to be right, but we're so far from the Big XII we really aren't an option in there eyes, I'd imagine.

If we were far away but in Florida, well at least Florida has tons of football talent to tap into.

Reaction Score
If we lose UCF, Cincy, Memphis, and Houston, I would add Marshall, Louisiana Tech, Old Dominion, and WKU. It would suck because Cincy is the closest thing to a brand name left in the conference (other than us, of course), but Marshall provides a decent replacement in that regard. The other three bring solid basketball and adequate football. I don't want UMass. NIU would be a good choice, also. I could see grabbing them instead of WKU or ODU.
I'd love for you to be right, but we're so far from the Big XII we really aren't an option in there eyes, I'd imagine.

If we were far away but in Florida, well at least Florida has tons of football talent to tap into.
The Big 12 has football players, what they really lack is eyeballs, If the goal of exspansion is the ultimate survival of the conference than UConn and BYU are actually no brainer additions.
If the goal is to get to a number to have CCG ,while the anchor schools are eyeing an exit ,thenwho you add is irrelevant.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has football players, what they really lack is eyeballs, If the goal of exspansion is the ultimate survival of the conference than UConn and BYU are actually no brainer additions.
If the goal is to get to a number to have CCG ,while the anchor schools are eyeing an exit ,thenwho you add is irrelevant.
I'm not so sure eyeballs is the only reason you pick teams x and y. I think there are several factors in play and I just don't think we check enough boxes for the Big XII. 10 years from now our sports teams will be in one of three conferences - The B1G, ACC or Big East. Not the Big XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom