ESPN summary of UConn Pre-AAC and after | The Boneyard

ESPN summary of UConn Pre-AAC and after

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After a long football life in the Yankee Conference, UConn grew ambitious enough to attempt FBS life in the early 2000s. The Huskies had a readymade spot in a power conference waiting for them, and they met the moment for a little while, winning either eight or nine games in five of their first seven Big East seasons. But things fell off course when Randy Edsall left for Maryland in 2011, and they were in no way playing like a power-conference program when they lost their power designation.

They left the AAC to return to the Big East in non-football sports, and they've been independent since 2020. Life has been mostly hard. Since earning a share of the Big East title -- and winning the tiebreakers to earn a Fiesta Bowl bid -- in 2010, they've suffered 12 straight losing records. They were left behind, but they were already in the process of falling apart when that happened.

IMG_2446.jpeg

I have to say the Covid gap is very annoying. Thanks Randy!

Reaction Score
After a long football life in the Yankee Conference, UConn grew ambitious enough to attempt FBS life in the early 2000s. The Huskies had a readymade spot in a power conference waiting for them, and they met the moment for a little while, winning either eight or nine games in five of their first seven Big East seasons. But things fell off course when Randy Edsall left for Maryland in 2011, and they were in no way playing like a power-conference program when they lost their power designation.

They left the AAC to return to the Big East in non-football sports, and they've been independent since 2020. Life has been mostly hard. Since earning a share of the Big East title -- and winning the tiebreakers to earn a Fiesta Bowl bid -- in 2010, they've suffered 12 straight losing records. They were left behind, but they were already in the process of falling apart when that happened.

View attachment 100496
FIfY

1715103989267.jpeg

Reaction Score
Once again, I guess ESPN forgot to mention that they were the orchestra leader in UConn's being left out of a power conference. Yet, they still allowed to pick the pockets of Ct taxpayers while twisting the knife in UConn's back.

Reaction Score
Getting to the Fiesta Bowl and we were already failing? Only a handful of teams played in the premier bowl games. I guess losing that game was about the worst thing that could happen.

Reaction Score
Losing the Fiesta Bowl didn't hurt us, UConn put up a good fight. I was at the game and don't think we were out played. The head coach had checked out before the game, and that cost the team. It was the next hire that hurt UConn, and the one after that. If we had hired a JM after RE left who knows where we would be today.

Reaction Score
Losing the Fiesta Bowl didn't hurt us, UConn put up a good fight. I was at the game and don't think we were out played. The head coach had checked out before the game, and that cost the team. It was the next hire that hurt UConn, and the one after that. If we had hired a JM after RE left who knows where we would be today.
There is a lot of truth in this and if the last sentence had happened we would be in a major football conference.

Reaction Score
Had the Fiesta Bowl been a week earlier, Edsall leaves and Addazio takes the UConn job rather than the Temple job. That alone might have forestalled the slide from Pasqualoni (who found talent, but didn't have the systems to utilize it).

Reaction Score
Once again, I guess ESPN forgot to mention that they were the orchestra leader in UConn's being left out of a power conference. Yet, they still allowed to pick the pockets of Ct taxpayers while twisting the knife in UConn's back.
This 1000x

Reaction Score

View attachment 100496
What killed UConn after Edsall left was having Hathaway to pick up the pieces. Some bad HC hires and a total ignorance of Edsall’s former staff at UConn, Rob Ambrose, Todd Orlando, Joe Moorhead, and others (TJ Weist, Lashlee, who passed through Storrs well after Edsall unceremoniously left. Had Edsall been more respectful and above board about taking the Maryland job, the damage could have been much much less, both at UConn and Maryland.

Reaction Score
Not only that but we became the poster boy for why CFB needed a Playoff. ESPN stood to make a fortune with a Playoff and used us as the main reason why the current system didn't work. I still remember the College Football Gameday panel laughing derisively when mentioning UConn in the Fiesta Bowl.

I also blame ND, BC and our own leadership for where we are today.

When the future looks back they will see that no other team has been more devastated by Conference realignment than UConn.

Reaction Score
A complete lack of cohesive leadership and vision- A Small time thinking Board of Trustees and a revolving door of presidents (5 or 6) and athletic directors(3) in Storrs since the Fiesta Bowl is why we’re here.

Even if Mora were hired the day after that game, we’d still be in the same situation.

Reaction Score
Even if Mora were hired the day after that game, we’d still be in the same situation.
i don't think so, but we'd still be hurting. Again, Hathaway and the like is why things are the way they are. He was at best a caretaker with absolutely no hustle from an old era of ADs where the world didn't change and you could just glad hand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom