ESPN: Stewie NPOY, Geno COY, KLS FOY! (merged threads) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN: Stewie NPOY, Geno COY, KLS FOY! (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The amount of responsibility that each player has should be considered when voting, IMO. You cannot really compare numbers as Samuelson is playing next to Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. Heck, I could score and rebound if I had those three taking all of the heat off of me. That it the reason I thought that Sims was the POY in her senior season, she was putting a team on her back, not playing as part of one of the best classes ever assembled.

Hmm, I doubt it.

Reaction Score
The amount of responsibility that each player has should be considered when voting, IMO. You cannot really compare numbers as Samuelson is playing next to Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck. Heck, I could score and rebound if I had those three taking all of the heat off of me. That it the reason I thought that Sims was the POY in her senior season, she was putting a team on her back, not playing as part of one of the best classes ever assembled.
She might have been the MVP, but that isn't the award that is given its the best player award.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You are not alone in this opinion - EricSD I think expresses it her quite often - but I quite strongly disagree. Using that logic, Geno, Pat, Kim, Muffet, etc. would be out of the running for every winning coach of the year because they have more talent than most of their opponents. TN give the lie to that logic this year - great talent, terrible team = bad coach.
The same applies to Sue Bird or Brittany Griner - do you not give them an award because they played with TASS and Sims/Williams Hayden, et al, and had the advantage of Kim and Geno coaching them? In fact if you trade Anigwe and Lou I suspect Anigwe's numbers at Uconn would be mediocre and Lou's would be stratospheric at Cal but they would both be basically the same players they are today. The quality of the team you play on greatly influences the number of shots you take, the statistics you put up, etc. The better the teammates you play with, generally the lower the statistics, the worse the higher

I'm not arguing for ESPN being right on this award - I already said I think they blew it big time. Just that most season awards are aiming to identify the best player, not the most important player to their team. And for that, teammates are not really that big a part of the equation. Heck EDD would have won the most important player to her team award every year she played - she personally accounted for most of the team wins each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom