ESPN not happy with LHN? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN not happy with LHN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Frank,
Your numbers aren't quite right. The Phillies just signed a new deal that puts them ahead of the Rangers, and several others are at the end of deals that were inked a decade or so ago will be coming in with new deals over the next few years that exceed Texas. They are only in the top 5 because of when we are in the cycle. Houston is pennies behind. The Red Sox deal isn't really comparable to anyone elses, since they essentially own NESN outright (80%) stake unlike most others that are controlled by others. As some better known teams sign deals over the next few years, Texas will drop in the rankings.

As to how this reflects on the LHN, that was a non-starter when Texas gave in to pressure not to carry high school football. They have the problem all these nets have. there is only so much market for replays of the 1972 Texas-Nebraska game and the Charlie Strong show. Unlike say, the BTN, they are stuck with 1 team, not 12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So the AAC is going to kick out teams.... no chance. AAC is stuck now at 11 with the moves to add ECU, Tulane, and Tulsa with 12 when Navy is on board. Aresco will not jettison anyone from this league.

Where did I say the AAC was going to kick teams out? If the other conferences swell to 16, the AAC will lose programs the old-fashioned way - they'll walk out the front door.

Do try to keep pace with the other children.

pj

Reaction Score
Where did I say the AAC was going to kick teams out? If the other conferences swell to 16, the AAC will lose programs the old-fashioned way - they'll walk out the front door.

Do try to keep pace with the other children.

Yes. If a B12 remnant / AAC merger takes place, it will be the top AAC teams moving to the B12 and leaving the weak AAC teams behind, not the B12 teams joining the AAC, which would create a too-large conference with too many weak teams.

Reaction Score
I think we're getting really far ahead of ourselves here. For one the LHN hasn't been canceled yet, I'm not sure that the appetite of other conferences to put up with Texas's never ending flow of BS is that high (Nebraska might actually consider leaving the B1G if Texas joined) and the Big 12 hasn't even fallen apart yet.

But if that were to happen, PJ's forecast is probably the right one.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes. If a B12 remnant / AAC merger takes place, it will be the top AAC teams moving to the B12 and leaving the weak AAC teams behind, not the B12 teams joining the AAC, which would create a too-large conference with too many weak teams.

If it were to happen, I wonder what the re-negotiated tv rights would look like. They would certainly look better than the current AAC deal (even if it was noticeably less than the current B12), and it might be with FOX. That would be very interesting...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
upstater said:
ESPN needs to get out of this LHN deal quick before it brings down the entire network.

lolololol

Reaction Score
LHN bringing Disney down? OK, I know you don't like your current situation but c'mon...

Baylor would give another chance for teams to play in Texas when not playing UTA. It puts the ACC in another new state, plus UConn shuts out the B1G from New England. :)

The B1G is desperate for another big-time football and they might even suspend the AAU rule for OU. This is the same exact reason they were jonesing for ND all those years. This is what happens when they have to carry the likes of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and now two East schools that the folks in the heartland think don't belong. The SEC and Pac12 has them scared. Even the ACC is catching up.

The SEC don't need more football power. So they can be fine with decent all-around athletic programs like WVU. Keeps them in the geographic footprint.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
LHN bringing Disney down? OK, I know you don't like your current situation but c'mon...

Baylor would give another chance for teams to play in Texas when not playing UTA. It puts the ACC in another new state, plus UConn shuts out the B1G from New England. :)

The B1G is desperate for another big-time football and they might even suspend the AAU rule for OU. This is the same exact reason they were jonesing for ND all those years. This is what happens when they have to carry the likes of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and now two East schools that the folks in the heartland think don't belong. The SEC and Pac12 has them scared. Even the ACC is catching up.

The SEC don't need more football power. So they can be fine with decent all-around athletic programs like WVU. Keeps them in the geographic footprint.

The hyperbole coming from ACC folk is getting a little overboard. You have FSU and Clemson and that it, at least for football.

Reaction Score

Which two events have a higher probability of occurring:
1) A Big Ten school leaving the B1G to go to the ACC.
2) An ACC school leaving the ACC to go to the B1G.

The answer to this question will tell if the ACC is catching up. BTW, There are no possible scenarios where the SEC or Pac 12 try to poach from the B1G.

Reaction Score

You've gone nuts....coming from the guy whose conference(ACC) is in the shadows between 2 Mega-conferences(B1G/SEC). Sounds like someone's scared just not the B1G !! BTW didnt Minnesota and ACC power Cuse clash last fall?

Reaction Score
Which two events have a higher probability of occurring:
1) A Big Ten school leaving the B1G to go to the ACC.
2) An ACC school leaving the ACC to go to the B1G.

The answer to this question will tell if the ACC is catching up. BTW, There are no possible scenarios where the SEC or Pac 12 try to poach from the B1G.
I don't think the SEC or the Pac12 would need to poach a school from the B1G. So, yes, I would agree. The key, here, is that Disney is betting long on a Sun Belt (no, not the SBC) strategy. They have pulled everything possible to get the pay TV operators to sign up the SECN at the rates they wanted. UConn in the ACC would benefit both sides tremendously. Recruitment in new territories. Better geography. The B1G has history and legacy but future is in the growing states. I think Disney will agree to start the ACC Net soon after realizing the profits from the SECN. They'll let the B1G go completely to other networks since they will make so much money that they won't become necessary to their bottom line. Nothing against everyone else but that is how I see things. :)

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The SEC Network and the Big Ten Network, predictably, have sold well. The SEC is selling lights' out and the Big Ten Network is doing very well.

I don't think that bodes well for the mythical ACC Network. The SEC and Big 10 are dominant in every market they're in and that's what moves carriers.

I don't see where the ACC cracks in - they're subservient to the SEC and Big 10 wherever they overlap and their northeastern wing is either in the middle of nowhere (SU) or buried in their own market (BC). I don't know why ESPN would throw more money into a property they already own outright just to be able to sell a network to carriers in North Carolina and Virginia.

Being the house band for ESPN has had huge advantages for the ACC in terms of money and promotion, but this is the downside. I think that's why you've seen the ACC Net talk fade despite last year's talking points suggesting that a decision was imminent.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The SEC Network and the Big Ten Network, predictably, have sold well. The SEC is selling lights' out and the Big Ten Network is doing very well.

I don't think that bodes well for the mythical ACC Network. The SEC and Big 10 are dominant in every market they're in and that's what moves carriers.

I don't see where the ACC cracks in - they're subservient to the SEC and Big 10 wherever they overlap and their northeastern wing is either in the middle of nowhere (SU) or buried in their own market (BC). I don't know why ESPN would throw more money into a property they already own outright just to be able to sell a network to carriers in North Carolina and Virginia.

Being the house band for ESPN has had huge advantages for the ACC in terms of money and promotion, but this is the downside. I think that's why you've seen the ACC Net talk fade despite last year's talking points suggesting that a decision was imminent.

Unless you peruse the SU board, in which case, the ACCN is full steam ahead! Which is hilarious on several levels.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Upstater was joking. So CA you can save the pontification.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They have the AAC.

Only the in conference games though right? Not like they get UConn and Boise or BYU...

Reaction Score
I heard ESPN's original plan was to give The ACCN away free to every carrier who signed up for The SECN. The problem was it made everyone not want to sign up for The SECN. They scrapped that plan and things are now going great.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's necessary to create another channel when you can just convert ESPNU to an ACCN.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's necessary to create another channel when you can just convert ESPNU to an ACCN.

So they are going to take a channel that they charge everyone that pays for a subscription so they could charge roughly the same amount to a third their subscribers? ESPN is smarter than that.

pj

Reaction Score

It's true, once the other power conferences have created their own networks, ESPNU is going to be ACC+AAC. At least you'll be getting paid for it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
My dad's initials were LHN. He's spinning in his grave watching his initials being plastered all over the internet as a reference to anything having to do with T-Sip U.

As for the aforementioned T-Sips, the notion that they would ever voluntarily join a conference they're not allowed to absolutely dominate in all ways is ludicrous. It will never happen.

Next to the definitions of the words 'insufferable', 'arrogant' and 'obnoxious' in the dictionary, there should be photos of almost any UT fans.

Reaction Score
Isn't that where most ACC games are already buried?

Once Disney finishes it's contract with the Big Ten, they'd be able to clear space on the 2 main ESPNs for the ACC, SEC and some of the B12. That would then allow them to move up games now on ESPN3 to ESPN U. The AAC also would get more face time. Imagine if UConn were in the ACC:

Noon ABC:

Virginia-Virginia Tech
UNC-Duke
UConn-Syracuse
UConn-BC

Noon ESPNU/ACCN

UConn-Virgnia
UConn-Pitt

3:30 ESPN 2:

UNC-Virginia
UConn-Clemson
Louisville-Virginia Tech
Miami-UConn

3:30 ESPNU/ACCN

UNC-UConn
Virginia-UConn

8:00 ESPN

FSU-ND
Clemson-FSU
FSU-Miami
UConn-ND

Of course, this all depends on how good the football team would be in the future should the conference get enough sense to invite you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom