ESPN: An ode to college basketball's underappreciated coaches | The Boneyard

ESPN: An ode to college basketball's underappreciated coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's an Insider's article. Other coaches highlighted in the article include Larry Krystkowiak at Utah, Lon Kruger at Oklahoma, Dan Hurley at URI, Bob McKillop at Davidson, and Gregg Marshall at Wichita St.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...e-college-basketball-underappreciated-coaches

Kevin Ollie, Connecticut Huskies

If it's possible for a coach who won a national title to be underappreciated, Ollie is that coach.

The track record of coaches who are next in line in a given job after a bona fide legend has departed is not uniformly stellar. North Carolina did better than most programs in this regard, but whether your example of choice is Indiana under Bob Knight's successor, Georgetown in the immediate aftermath of John Thompson or the series of coaches who cycled through UCLA in the decade after John Wooden's departure, filling large coaching shoes is a daunting task.

This is the facet of Ollie's tenure in Storrs that's most impressive. Jim Calhoun was both a legend and indeed Ollie's own coach, and the temptation for a new hire to promise everything will stay exactly the same must have been overwhelming. Yet the new guy has been able to forge his own path, whether in terms of X's and O's (I know you young people see Connecticut shooting 3s, but there was a time when that didn't happen), tempo (Ollie plays a bit slower than Calhoun typically did, though perhaps it's the game itself that's decelerating) or even something as basic as interacting with the media. (I can never imagine Ollie saying to a reporter: "My best advice to you? Shut up." I just can't.)

Mind you, Ollie has kept a lot of Calhoun's good stuff. It's still next to impossible to make 2s against the Huskies, and UConn's still too cool to try to force turnovers. But give UConn's head coach full credit for blazing his own trail in the shadow of a predecessor who more or less built a national power from scratch. That can't be easy to do, but Ollie has made it look that way.

Reaction Score
I was just shocked when I saw Ollie in that list, I clicked on it to see who was there. I don't in any way think of KO as underappreciated

Reaction Score
I was just shocked when I saw Ollie in that list, I clicked on it to see who was there. I don't in any way think of KO as underappreciated
I agree. I looked at the rest of the list and was thinking how is Ollie lumped in with that group.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I dunno. You still hear "only won with Calhoun's players." That's insulting.

Reaction Score
When you look at the current landscape of coaches Ollie is top 10 and certainly not underappreciated at least here in CT. He may not be coaching in the P5 and getting the exposure but he can coach his arse off, proven when he beat the greats during post season play and when it mattered. Oh and he has been schooled by some of the best in the business.

ECr7-EkWEhDOMoAizF4rwHfHnvk_

Reaction Score
Uh, what? Calhoun was one of the first to really embrace the three-pointer, especially with the 1990 team.
I wonder if he meant "bigs" shooting 3s? Because when we had Villanueva Calhoun didn't love him taking 3s. And then we had Daniels last two seasons ago more or less have free range to shoot from the 4.

It's a stretch, though, because the line is, as it is written, objectively false.

Reaction Score
Its always nice to get positive media coverage, but this article probably would have been better titled "Best coaches not in the P5" (sans Kruger at Oklahoma).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wonder if he meant "bigs" shooting 3s? Because when we had Villanueva Calhoun didn't love him taking 3s. And then we had Daniels last two seasons ago more or less have free range to shoot from the 4.

It's a stretch, though, because the line is, as it is written, objectively false.

On the other hand, Caron shot the three. I know most people didn't think of him as a big, but he did play some 4 for UCONN.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
On the other hand, Caron shot the three. I know most people didn't think of him as a big, but he did play some 4 for UCONN.
Same with Nadav, Burrell and Donnyell. All three of those guys spent a ton of time as prototype stretch 4s.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Large population and some have KO in their tops list and some don't. This writer obviously is familiar with people who don't.

His summation should have said sooner as opposed to later reporters will have ten toes in for Ollie.

Reaction Score
If imagine the list of coaches to win 20+ games in each of their first 3 years is probably very short. Not to mention the national title and 2 conference championship game appearances.

Reaction Score
JC's first year at UConn was also the first year of the three-point line. Phil Gamble took them a lot, but then became ineligible. I think those last few weeks of that season, we probably didn't shoot many of them based on personnel.

So if when the writer said "there was a time when that didn't happen", he meant 7:30 pm on February 19, 1987, I think he has a fair point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom