Enoch | The Boneyard

Enoch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Should Enoch get all the minutes as backup center? Clearly, he has greatest upside. Would Ollie lose Nolan with strings of DNP? Should Ollie discard small ball(Miller, Facey at center) for Enoch's development? Or just play it by ear?

Reaction Score
We do not have a center with a post move. Neither Brimah or Nolan can get the ball down low, pivot and with good footwork get up a short range shot against a decent opponent with touch. Can Enoch? We don't know but the sentiment on this board is to find out clearly. Can he defend? I don't know that either but in our last game it seemed like we were being abused down low anyway. Even Drummond struggled in his first year with us but he got the floor time to develop.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Can't look at the position in a vacuum. Hamilton at the 4 tends to be our most effective mismatch offensively so putting the personnel on the floor to exploit that mismatch is critical. We'll be playing small as a result most of the year.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Maybe on Wednesday, but I don't think he should be playing against a team like Maryland unless we're in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Maybe on Wednesday, but I don't think he should be playing against a team like Maryland unless we're in foul trouble.

He was good against Karnowski for the most part because he couldn't move quick, but his physical ability was much better than AB in the low post did not get pushed around. He did react slow to a help situation where a guy laid it up when he didn't get there but hey we've been living with that for 2 years now, it can't be worst. Eventually, maybe next year, he will get more minutes against better teams than now. For now I would like to see him improve the thinking on the defensive end f he does that he will steal some time.

Reaction Score
Should Enoch get all the minutes as backup center? Clearly, he has greatest upside. Would Ollie lose Nolan with strings of DNP? Should Ollie discard small ball(Miller, Facey at center) for Enoch's development? Or just play it by ear?

He has the best hands, footwork, and body of all of our bigs. Is he polished? No. But, Brimah and Nolan are not close to being polished either. Of course he should play and he should of been playing all season. Still don't understand why he didn't get more minutes against the likes of Maine, Furham, and UNH. 3 games that could of been used to help develop the kid and Adams instead of playing Omar, Cassel, and Nolan so much.

Reaction Score
I agree he is slow in helping out and his def needs a lot of work but even with that being said I feel he is better than Nolan. Nolan on defense isnt very good either. He can take a charge but sure, but his man D has been suspect since the NCAA Tourny in 2014. I'd rather Enoch learn now in December so he could be much better by Feb and March.

Reaction Score

I doubt JC would ever play Cassell or Nolan ahead of Enoch and Adams. Enoch definitely should see minutes.

Reaction Score
Judging from the few games so far this season, our bigs can't score, rebound or defend at a consistent level when facing top tier teams. I think Enoch should be able to at least rebound. And he has great hands to catch lob passes. I think the only reason he hasn't gotten playing time yet is because he has looked lost on defense. Once he picks up on our defensive scheme, I see him getting more minutes. Enoch will get Hamilton's assist average even higher. Seems like Brimah averages about 5 missed easy baskets per game.

Reaction Score
I agree he is slow in helping out and his def needs a lot of work but even with that being said I feel he is better than Nolan. Nolan on defense isnt very good either. He can take a charge but sure, but his man D has been suspect since the NCAA Tourny in 2014. I'd rather Enoch learn now in December so he could be much better by Feb and March.

I agree and playing him will help his defense improve. The biggest think that bothers me about Nolan and Brimah to a smaller degree is that the defense help off those guys and clog up our offense. I think Steve gives our guards more room to maneuver as well as improving our rebounding. Brimah blocks shots but many times he leaves his guy on the weakside to block a shot giving him an easy put back.

Reaction Score
Cassell doesn't have anything to do with Enoch's minutes. And Phil is a very good P&R defender, so there are times where he will make more sense than Enoch.
I said Adams and Enoch. So yes Cassell has had an effect on Adams minutes.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I said Adams and Enoch. So yes Cassell has had an effect on Adams minutes.
Ok why are we talking about Adams and Enoch as if they're one piece though? Adams is more advanced at his position than Enoch is.

And Calhoun used to play veterans over young guys with potential too. I remember people complaining about Austrie getting minutes over Doug Wiggins.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I agree and playing him will help his defense improve. The biggest think that bothers me about Nolan and Brimah to a smaller degree is that the defense help off those guys and clog up our offense. I think Steve gives our guards more room to maneuver as well as improving our rebounding. Brimah blocks shots but many times he leaves his guy on the weakside to block a shot giving him an easy put back.
thabeet used to do the same thing, only difference is we had stix and adrien to get the rebounds

Reaction Score
thabeet used to do the same thing, only difference is we had stix and adrien to get the rebounds

Thabeet averaged 8 rbs his soph year and 10 his junior year. Brimah averaged 4 last year and is on pace for 5 this year.

Reaction Score
I think Steve's time is coming. Probably sooner than later.

Our coaches (any coaches for that matter) have a good feel for who can play defense. KO has very explicitly said Steve is struggling defensively. You could make the argument that Brimah and others are struggling defensively, but I don't that's really the case. Everyone gave up points against Gonzaga, but I don't think they were consistently out of position. They just got out-played physically in most cases. Steve can probably help us there, but first he needs to be in the right position and clearly the coaches aren't content with his positional defense in practice. Once Steve get's that down (and he will) Steve will get lots of PT.

Also, I am not a big Brimah guy, but he hasn't played bad. Brimah has not fouled out and both Cuse and Gonzaga really took it too Brimah. He had to sit on the bench a little because fouls, but not an unreasonable amount. Coming into this year one of the things we all wanted was Brimah to not commit bad fouls. Thus far I think it's mission accomplished.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Thabeet averaged 8 rbs his soph year and 10 his junior year. Brimah averaged 4 last year and is on pace for 5 this year.
that doesnt change the fact that when he went for blocks and missed that he had adriend and stix to clean up... right now no one is doing that which is allowing easy putbacks... but if were comparing them thabeet was also bigger and much larger than brimah is now

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UConnSwag11 said:
that doesnt change the fact that when he went for blocks and missed that he had adriend and stix to clean up... right now no one is doing that which is allowing easy putbacks... but if were comparing them thabeet was also bigger and much larger than brimah is now

Well we thought that Miller was supposed to do that

Reaction Score
Judging from the few games so far this season, our bigs can't score, rebound or defend at a consistent level when facing top tier teams. I think Enoch should be able to at least rebound. And he has great hands to catch lob passes. I think the only reason he hasn't gotten playing time yet is because he has looked lost on defense. Once he picks up on our defensive scheme, I see him getting more minutes. Enoch will get Hamilton's assist average even higher. Seems like Brimah averages about 5 missed easy baskets per game.
I agree. AB was over matched against the bigs for Syracuse and Gonzaga. So, yes, when Enoch learns to rotate on the defense, he should be getting more playing time.

Reaction Score

But Thabeet was a ton better in both the physical play on the low block and being in position to make a play. While his balance was a little off too he was more of a menacing figure in so many ways.

Reaction Score

Thabeet was bigger but Brimah is still 7 feet. No reason this guy should not be grabbing more rebounds. Just saying that he sacrifices great def rebounding position for a block attempt when it is not needed many times.

Reaction Score
I think Steve's time is coming. Probably sooner than later.

Our coaches (any coaches for that matter) have a good feel for who can play defense. KO has very explicitly said Steve is struggling defensively. You could make the argument that Brimah and others are struggling defensively, but I don't that's really the case. Everyone gave up points against Gonzaga, but I don't think they were consistently out of position. They just got out-played physically in most cases. Steve can probably help us there, but first he needs to be in the right position and clearly the coaches aren't content with his positional defense in practice. Once Steve get's that down (and he will) Steve will get lots of PT.

Also, I am not a big Brimah guy, but he hasn't played bad. Brimah has not fouled out and both Cuse and Gonzaga really took it too Brimah. He had to sit on the bench a little because fouls, but not an unreasonable amount. Coming into this year one of the things we all wanted was Brimah to not commit bad fouls. Thus far I think it's mission accomplished.

It's good he hasn't fouled but it's also bad. When you aren't in the picture to foul it's not good either. Hey he is a little better rebounding, it ends there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I doubt JC would ever play Cassell or Nolan ahead of Enoch and Adams. Enoch definitely should see minutes.

You are crazy
JC almost always went with the vets first - one of the rare occasions was KEA

Reaction Score
We almost went the whole thread, so far, without mentioning Miller. Miller has space because Nolan and Brimah are who they are. Earlier someone typed that you can't look at this in a vacuum. Enoch will develop nicely over the course of this year. BTW ... Brimah isn't fouling as much for 2 distinct reasons. He has learned this game over 3 years; and he has guys replacing him for key minutes when he has some issues/matchups that don't work.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Thabeet was bigger but Brimah is still 7 feet. No reason this guy should not be grabbing more rebounds. Just saying that he sacrifices great def rebounding position for a block attempt when it is not needed many times.
I agree that he should be grabbing 8 rebounds, he has alligator arms most of the time, but the other players need to help out with their on ball defense and boxing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom