End of UMass/FSU game | The Boneyard

End of UMass/FSU game

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UMass called for hanging on the rim on what should have been a dunk + Foul. It was a horrendous call, and I could not ever remember seeing a basket waived off for hanging on the rim in a big game with the game on the line. I didn't care that much either way, and then I wondered what the spread was.

FSU was up by 3 at the time. Spread was FSU -3, and they won by 5.

The NCAA has to investigate the end of that game. Any time you have a weird call that impacts not just the game, but which team covers the spread, they should have to investigate.

Reaction Score
It was a missed foul call, but I don't know how you can still count the basket when he hung on the rim for a good five seconds and altered the path of the ball. UMass went to the line 24 times to Florida State's 18. I know that's not always the best arbiter of balanced officiating, but if the officials wanted FSU to win by more than 3 they wouldn't have waited that long.

Reaction Score
Congress, drop what you're doing (or not doing) and quick, investigate this UMass/FSU game!

Reaction Score
It's only UMESS. There goes their first ranking in 15 years. No biggie.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
During my misspent youth, we would occasionally call in a game and get told that the game was "off". No explanation, just that the game was off. I wonder if there are books out there where this game was off this afternoon.

If he hadn't held the rim he would have cracked his skull when he came down. The announcers thought the call was ridiculous too. I watch a lot of hoops, and waiving off a basket for hanging on the rim is a very rare call. I can't think of another one I have seen this season. Has there been one in a UConn game?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
During my misspent youth, we would occasionally call in a game and get told that the game was "off". No explanation, just that the game was off. I wonder if there are books out there where this game was off this afternoon.

If he hadn't held the rim he would have cracked his skull when he came down. The announcers thought the call was ridiculous too. I watch a lot of hoops, and waiving off a basket for hanging on the rim is a very rare call. I can't think of another one I have seen this season. Has there been one in a UConn game?
Nobody takes the game off because they have an idea a fix is in - they just load up the incoming money on the losing side.

Games are usually off because of a key injury being in question.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nobody takes the game off because they have an idea a fix is in - they just load up the incoming money on the losing side.

Games are usually off because of a key injury being in question.

Maybe we were just asking for the wrong side of the games. You couldn't make a bet on a Northwestern game with any real bookie from New Jersey to Boston near the end of Birdsong's time there. A kid from Simsbury was involved in that, if I remember correctly.

Actually, a bookie wants no part of a game if there are rumors of a fix, because he won't know which way the fix is going unless he is in on it himself. Bookies can't perfectly balance their books on each game, particularly in college basketball, so they are just betting that there are enough losers across their entire book for the night to offset the winners.

It is easier just to say a game is "off".

Reaction Score
The correct call should have been to waive off the basket if they thought the hang influenced the shot( I did ). No way you waive off the foul and make that call. 1/15 from 3 and 10 missed fts don't help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom