Empowered Ben does it again! | The Boneyard

Empowered Ben does it again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the authority to make a blockbuster deal, Ben Cherington traded Brent Lillibridge to Cleveland for right-handed pitcher Jose De La Torre. Jose is 26 years old and has never appeared in the majors. This means the Sox have picked up Zack Stewart (currently in triple A and struggling) and Jose De La Torre for Kevin Youkilis (.281, 5 Hrs and 19 RBI in 23 games for the White Sox). Playoffs here we come!

Reaction Score
Given the authority to make a blockbuster deal, Ben Cherington traded Brent Lillibridge to Cleveland for right-handed pitcher Jose De La Torre. Jose is 26 years old and has never appeared in the majors. This means the Sox have picked up Zack Stewart (currently in triple A and struggling) and Jose De La Torre for Kevin Youkilis (.281, 5 Hrs and 19 RBI in 23 games for the White Sox). Playoffs here we come!
Youkilis had very little trade value; I believe he is in the last year of his contract so whoever gets him will only have him for 1/2 of the season. He has played well for the WS after stinking up Fenway so good luck to him. Middlebrooks is the future and they had to trade him.
Youkilis played hard for most of his time in Boston but the one thing I didn't like about him was his constant whining to the umpires. He pissed off the umpires and that is never a good idea because they end up taking it out on the team. As I recall, Manny went after him because of this.

Reaction Score
Youkilis had very little trade value; I believe he is in the last year of his contract so whoever gets him will only have him for 1/2 of the season. He has played well for the WS after stinking up Fenway so good luck to him. Middlebrooks is the future and they had to trade him.
Youkilis played hard for most of his time in Boston but the one thing I didn't like about him was his constant whining to the umpires. He pissed off the umpires and that is never a good idea because they end up taking it out on the team. As I recall, Manny went after him because of this.
Actually the Youkilis trade was not the point I was trying to make. I am sorry that I wasn't clearer. My point is that Ben has been empowered to make whatever trade he needs to make to improve the team and while other teams are making significant deals, Ben trades Brent Lillibridge to Cleveland for right-handed pitcher Jose De La Torre. That is about as exciting as watching the grass grow.

Theo probably did too much but Ben does nothing, at least so far.

Reaction Score
Actually the Youkilis trade was not the point I was trying to make. I am sorry that I wasn't clearer. My point is that Ben has been empowered to make whatever trade he needs to make to improve the team and while other teams are making significant deals, Ben trades Brent Lillibridge to Cleveland for right-handed pitcher Jose De La Torre. That is about as exciting as watching the grass grow.

Theo probably did too much but Ben does nothing, at least so far.
I see your point but maybe they would have to give up young prospects for an outside shot at a playoff spot and they may not think it is worth it it. The Sox don't have a shot unless Beckett and Lester start pitching like top of the rotation guys. Lester has the stuff to rebound but Beckett's fastball is only 92 at best so he has to become a different type of pitcher. This may be a year when they may be better off standing pat.

Reaction Score
I see your point but maybe they would have to give up young prospects for an outside shot at a playoff spot and they may not think it is worth it it. The Sox don't have a shot unless Beckett and Lester start pitching like top of the rotation guys. Lester has the stuff to rebound but Beckett's fastball is only 92 at best so he has to become a different type of pitcher. This may be a year when they may be better off standing pat.
I don't think they should be giving up prospects for a shot at the playoffs. They have too many holes to get to the playoffs and no chance at a meaningful run, if they somehow got there. They should be dumping some of their players for prospects or players who can help them next year. I would be willing to part with Beckett, Aviles, Shoppach, Salty and Sweeney for starters. If there was some reasonable way to do it, I would add Lackey, Dice K (although this problem will fix itself at year end) and Carl Crawford to the list. I would also try to move Jacoby Ellsbury because the Red Sox apparently will make no attempt to sign him.

They need help at catcher, shortstop (Iglesias may never hit enough) and one top-of-the-rotation starter. That's what Ben should be focused on.

Reaction Score
I'd love to move most of the players you mentioned but there is no way i can see to move DiceK, Lackey, and Crawford. Sweeney, Shoppach won't bring much and Ellsbury will be a free agent so he is gone. I actually like Avilles but in Punto's role. I like Salty. He has a strong (sometimes inaccurate) arm, hits for power and his catching has improved a lot. You can add a real CF after this season to the list of needs.

Reaction Score
I'd love to move most of the players you mentioned but there is no way i can see to move DiceK, Lackey, and Crawford. Sweeney, Shoppach won't bring much and Ellsbury will be a free agent so he is gone. I actually like Avilles but in Punto's role. I like Salty. He has a strong (sometimes inaccurate) arm, hits for power and his catching has improved a lot. You can add a real CF after this season to the list of needs.
I think we have the center fielder in Jackie Bradley. He may be a better hitter that Jacoby but probably will not have the burst of power that we saw last year. He is better defensively, has excellent speed and a much stronger throwing arm. He was hitting .359 at Salem when they moved him to AA Portland. He was tearing the league up there but injured the hamate bone in his hand. He is 22 years old and could be ready late next year.

I like Salty too because he seems to care. But he is not strong defensively and some of the pitchers seem to do better when Shoppach is catching. I think he would be an excellent backup catcher.

Reaction Score
I think we have the center fielder in Jackie Bradley. He may be a better hitter that Jacoby but probably will not have the burst of power that we saw last year. He is better defensively, has excellent speed and a much stronger throwing arm. He was hitting .359 at Salem when they moved him to AA Portland. He was tearing the league up there but injured the hamate bone in his hand. He is 22 years old and could be ready late next year.

I like Salty too because he seems to care. But he is not strong defensively and some of the pitchers seem to do better when Shoppach is catching. I think he would be an excellent backup catcher.

Bradley is at least 1 year if not 2 years away from making it to the big leagues. I like him too, but he's really turned it up a notch this season.

Reaction Score
Bradley is at least 1 year if not 2 years away from making it to the big leagues. I like him too, but he's really turned it up a notch this season.
I agree on Bradley but the next player to make the Sox roster could be J.C. Linares. This is the first year he has been healthy and he seems to hit no matter where he is. Unfortunately, his best position may be DH.

Reaction Score
The Sox are making a run, and I would say that sometimes the best thing to do is stand pat. Renting players for a few months can be a real hassle. And now that it's more difficult to get any compensation, it can be more costly than it's worth. The Sox just have to get more consistency pitching wise. If they do, they'll be in good shape. I still think they're the main threat to the Yankees being able to run away with it. There's still a lot of baseball left, and I think that come the end of September the Red Sox and Yankees will be fighting it out once again!

Reaction Score
The Sox are not making a run, they've won 4 in a row but every winning streak this season has been followed by a losing streak because the starting pitching is bad/inconsistent and that is not changing. After the 3 division leaders, the Sox are trailing 5 other teams in the AL hunt to play 1 do-or-die 50-50 shot game. I'd put their odds on advancing to the AL division series at less than 2%. They are 9th out of 14 AL teams and if anyone thinks that's contending I've got some $50 grandstand seats to unload (no bites for last night's game out of 100+ people in my company).

Its clear to most that the Sox have been focused more on maximizing revenue than wins these past 3 years and that trend is only worsening. Best case scenario is they are accepting 'bridge year' for 2012-13 with Bobby V and trying to shed the awful contracts and contend once purged. I speculate that the lack of trades was to try and keep some semblance of contending going on and keep ticket sales up. I bet that come September they will float many of the big contracts on waivers to see if anyone will bite. Crawford, Beckett and Ellsbury probably biggest candidates for this. A much more sensible strategy versus getting next to nothing back AND paying the contract ala Youkliss.

Reaction Score
The Sox are not making a run, they've won 4 in a row but every winning streak this season has been followed by a losing streak because the starting pitching is bad/inconsistent and that is not changing. After the 3 division leaders, the Sox are trailing 5 other teams in the AL hunt to play 1 do-or-die 50-50 shot game. I'd put their odds on advancing to the AL division series at less than 2%. They are 9th out of 14 AL teams and if anyone thinks that's contending I've got some $50 grandstand seats to unload (no bites for last night's game out of 100+ people in my company).

Its clear to most that the Sox have been focused more on maximizing revenue than wins these past 3 years and that trend is only worsening. Best case scenario is they are accepting 'bridge year' for 2012-13 with Bobby V and trying to shed the awful contracts and contend once purged. I speculate that the lack of trades was to try and keep some semblance of contending going on and keep ticket sales up. I bet that come September they will float many of the big contracts on waivers to see if anyone will bite. Crawford, Beckett and Ellsbury probably biggest candidates for this. A much more sensible strategy versus getting next to nothing back AND paying the contract ala Youkliss.
I agree about making a run. They just don't have the starting pitching. Buchholtz and Dubront are solid. Lester is trying but hasn't figured things out yet. There is still an outside chance that he will get it together. Beckett doesn't care. He is pitching badly but his golf game is coming along. I have no problem with the fans booing him when he was injured. Why should they respect him? Cook is just not good enough any more. Good hitters can handle him with ease. Dice K is done and Lackey will not contribute anything this year. They should put Morales back in the rotation for the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
I agree about making a run. They just don't have the starting pitching. Buchholtz and Dubront are solid. Lester is trying but hasn't figured things out yet. There is still an outside chance that he will get it together. Beckett doesn't care. He is pitching badly but his golf game is coming along. I have no problem with the fans booing him when he was injured. Why should they respect him? Cook is just not good enough any more. Good hitters can handle him with ease. Dice K is done and Lackey will not contribute anything this year. They should put Morales back in the rotation for the rest of the year.
Agreed, massive media overeaction to fans booing as if its some mortal sin and reflects badly on the city's character. Never mind crime, poverty etc.. did you hear them HISS and yell at the overpaid, ambivalent athlete!? For shame

Reaction Score
The Sox are making a run, and I would say that sometimes the best thing to do is stand pat. Renting players for a few months can be a real hassle. And now that it's more difficult to get any compensation, it can be more costly than it's worth. The Sox just have to get more consistency pitching wise. If they do, they'll be in good shape. I still think they're the main threat to the Yankees being able to run away with it. There's still a lot of baseball left, and I think that come the end of September the Red Sox and Yankees will be fighting it out once again!
Still think the Sox are making a run? I don't understand Cherington's moves at all. He has done almost nothing significant since he took over. Now with the Sox clearly going nowhere, he signs a 36 year old outfielder whose best years are behind him. He should be unloading some of the excess baggage to contenders and picking up some players who have a future.

Maybe he has been told to do nothing but if so, that is even worse. Either he has no authority or he doesn't know what to do. Shame on Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom