Elizabeth Williams | The Boneyard

Elizabeth Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is she not healthy? Has she always had the funky-looking shot? I'm struggling to understand what's going on. She doesn't look like the same player who showed up in Durham 3 years ago.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think they mentioned her getting a case of the "yips" on her shot, kind of like Charles Barkley's golf swing. I had never noticed her shot looking so strange before last night. She seems to jump to shoot, but then doesn't shoot until her feet are almost back down on the court.

Reaction Score
I still wish she came to UCONN.......under Geno's care, she would have been a super star or a bust......She might be the type player who does not do well under pressure or Big games. I don't know her and I hope she finds herself..........Too much talent to waste.........

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I was stunned by her foul shot motion. I think many subscribe to the theory that if it looks weird, but does go in, don't mess with it, but they reported she is hitting 54%. Why aren't they changing her motion, it can't get worse.

[edited]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...does not have any offensive moves to speak of. The lack of her development while at Duke under the direction JPM's coaching is appalling.

Reaction Score
When I watch EW, I think Kiah Stokes. They both seem like nice easy going girls w/o the intensity of
some of their other teammates. They are both supposed to be really good students.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't think she has 'Regressed' as much as it is that she has not 'Progressed' as much as we think she should have. Her post moves and shots are not done with any confidence and she is methodical. Even in HS , when she and KML were ranked 1 and 2 , she was not smooth but efficient. Never a leaper but had good timing on blocking shots. Now it seems she still has no Go-To low post moves or much of a low post game. Unlike Stef who has developed a outside shot and a good low post game to speak of. Williams would have made an Outstanding and excellent PF in the UConn system.

Reaction Score
She could have been so much of a better player under Geno's coaching.

Players who UCONN wants and choose to go elsewhere frequently wind-up not getting the most out of their talent.

Too bad they cant see that before they go down the wrong road and choose a school other than UCONN.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
She could have been so much of a better player under Geno's coaching.

Players who UCONN wants and choose to go elsewhere frequently wind-up not getting the most out of their talent.

Too bad they cant see that before they go down the wrong road and choose a school other than UCONN.
There are plenty of reasons besides basketball to choose a particular school.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was stunned by her foul shot motion. I think many subscribe to the theory that if it looks weird, but does go in, don't mess with it, but they reported she is hitting 54%. Why aren't they changing her motion, it can't get worse.

[edited]

It's not just her foul shots imo. Most of her shots (farther out than 2-3 feet) appear as though they were practically shot from the hip. They start so low. For a strong, tall girl, that is completely the wrong technique.

Reaction Score
Oh stop being so even handed.;)

There are plenty of reasons besides basketball to choose a particular school.

I understand and know that I made a strong statement but for an elite player who has invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours elevating perfecting her game, the quality of program and coaching she will recive in college should be an absolutely major factor in a college choice.

While Duke is an elite academic institution the quality of ediucation one will get @ UCONN in the honors program is right up there. a player will not by any means be short changed academically if they go to a UCONN instead of a Duke.

Remember, UCONN has made, and continues to make, great strides academically and the school's reputation has dramatically improved as well.

UCONN = a Public Ivy (or close to it)

Reaction Score
The progression and development of Isabelle Harrison's game compared to EW is startling considering how much higher EW was ranked out of HS. Harrison consistently hits the jumper, has a plethora of different post moves and hits free throws at over a 70% clip. In addition, she's a very good shot blocker and has fixed her foul problems that she struggled with earlier in the season.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Eddy

Duke has had an exemplary academic rep for decades.
For any kid who is interested in anything other than a major WNBA career, Duke is a splendid choice (like Stanford).
I think to question a kid's choice in this regard is silly.

I really like the athleticism of the Duke kids and their skill-sets (and their personable and tasteful manner).
This is a lovely group of superior athletes who have gotten shortchanged by inferior coaching (and I chose the word carefully).
There is no real half court offense and the defensive scheme(s?) As exposed by both Burke and Lobo is unworkable.

The intelligence and talent of this group certainly does not preclude putting in a "Princeton" type offense.
What they have been instructed to do at present is not a recipe for national success. Of course, all top 25 teams routinely destroy the lower 100s; duh! Proves nothing.

Elizabeth Williams is the locus classics of the failure in coaching. She may be unfit or hurt, but, in a game like this she is one sad sack.

It's true, they (and nobody else) has a Stewie or a KML which makes defeat at least most likely.

But a group like this, in the hands of a truly professional coach, could make a far better showing than this group did last evening.

Perhaps it starts with defense and the fitness to commit to a shutdown style.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Yeah...once upon a time a post player was pressured by her parents to select Duke over UConn,
and so she did. Soon though she hurt her knee and became dissatisfied by her therapy progress and left Duke. This was in the aughts, and she finally shows up at UConn but with a knee that would never be the same. Still, she could give us maybe 10 minutes of jaw-dropping play, and we were left to say..."If only..." I still shake my head sometimes in remembering.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand and know that I made a strong statement but for an elite player who has invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours elevating perfecting her game, the quality of program and coaching she will recive in college should be an absolutely major factor in a college choice.

While Duke is an elite academic institution the quality of ediucation one will get @ UCONN in the honors program is right up there. a player will not by any means be short changed academically if they go to a UCONN instead of a Duke.

Remember, UCONN has made, and continues to make, great strides academically and the school's reputation has dramatically improved as well.

UCONN = a Public Ivy (or close to it)
These kids are choosing a college where they'll play basketball, not choosing a team where they can take classes when they aren't playing. The student athletes choose the place that has academics and basketball, yes, but also has the right size and location of the campus, the right array of clubs and activities, and is the right distance from home.

I just went through the college selection process with my oldest son and he was intent on finding the school that "felt" right to him. We didn't look at any schools that didn't have the academics he wanted so it was all of the peripheral things that became important when we visited the schools. For a student to be truly happy at college, he or she needs to look for the right school first and, apparently, Elizabeth did or she would have transferred by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom