EDD: 45 points, 11 boards, 6 blocks | The Boneyard

EDD: 45 points, 11 boards, 6 blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
EDD has simply been on fire the whole season long. Not having Fowles has required more of her and she has delivered.

Reaction Score
So Candace Parker was MVP and ROY in '08...

Might EDD win MVP and Most Improved Player in '15? lol!

So we saw a huge statistical improvement with Skylar Diggins last year and now Elena Delle Donne. Might the common denominator be that both were able to forgo playing overseas and focus on the WNBA season?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Being a rookie in the WNBA is really tough. The college season ends and then the young women are expected to play 34-40 games at a higher level almost immediately thereafter.

Reaction Score
EDD is a class act. She put her family before basketball.

Indeed! I met her briefly once and she was quite gracious and poised. And I've always admired her SO much for her very sincere and dear-to-her-heart involvement with community service and charitable causes.

But I think I mention my "common denominator" point only to emphasize the possible wear and tear of WNBA athletes playing overseas in the off-season. And it's quite possible that the negative impact goes beyond the physical effects of fatigue or burnout from playing game after game. It very well might indicate the importance of dedicating time to drills, skill work, rehab, strength training, etc. I do hope that the league grows to the point where one day all the players can "diversify" their off-season training and tailor it more toward peaking during the WNBA season. However, there certainly are some positive aspects about our WBB athletes playing overseas (such as the exposure to other cultures). Just an interesting subject to muse about.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Sky are going to need EDD's points unless something changes defensively which is where Fowles is missed the most. The Sky lead the WNBA in points per game (88 and Tulsa is next at 82) but are 11th in points allowed at 81.

Reaction Score
I actually have thought about the EDD vs. Candace comparison before. Obviously Candace rebounds significantly better. But EDD actually might have an edge on blocking shots? (I haven't looked at the stats).

Even though it certainly is more than fair to say that EDD is surpassing Candace as a scorer, I think Candace could definitely score more than she does if she was utilized a bit differently. I remember Candace looked quite natural in knocking down the 3-ball during her debut game (34 points), and I was like, "Woah! Where did that come from?" (thinking back to watching her at Tennessee). But it seems she hasn't tried outside shooting or maximized that part of her skill set/talent.

EDD certainly is the queen at the FT line, though!

Then, of course, you'd have to compare them on defense...but that's not as fun, lol!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
yes it's close. So far this year EDD is the MVP. They both do some things diffent. Just like a EDD vs Maya I'm sure you will admit would also be close.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Being a rookie in the WNBA is really tough. The college season ends and then the young women are expected to play 34-40 games at a higher level almost immediately thereafter.

EDD was 3rd in MVP voting as a rookie, iirc. She has always been an MVP level performer when healthy.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
imagine if Geno and the coaching staff had their paws on her for 4 years

In the case of this young woman, I don't think it would make much difference
Maybe in slightly better shape...you want more points, more blocks?
45 with 19 for 19 from the foul line isn't enough?
There are some athletes who transcend coaching (and U Delaware was not exactly a mecca for excellent coaching)
and Ms Elena is locus classicus for this unusual skill set and competitive fire.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If she just stays healthy, she is a lock to be in Rio...imo.

Frankly I have long considered Breanna to have an excellent chance to be on our 2016 Olympic team.
Given the incredible depth of talent we have, I am beginning to be more hesitant about the word 'excellent'.
Go Breanna!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Indeed! I met her briefly once and she was quite gracious and poised. And I've always admired her SO much for her very sincere and dear-to-her-heart involvement with community service and charitable causes.

But I think I mention my "common denominator" point only to emphasize the possible wear and tear of WNBA athletes playing overseas in the off-season. And it's quite possible that the negative impact goes beyond the physical effects of fatigue or burnout from playing game after game. It very well might indicate the importance of dedicating time to drills, skill work, rehab, strength training, etc. I do hope that the league grows to the point where one day all the players can "diversify" their off-season training and tailor it more toward peaking during the WNBA season. However, there certainly are some positive aspects about our WBB athletes playing overseas (such as the exposure to other cultures). Just an interesting subject to muse about.
Don't overlook the "other" common demominator between EDD & Skylar. Both are beautiful women with enough off court endorsements which enable them to not have to go overseas and play. This is not my original though credit Beemer, ETT, Orantagun and may other from a previous thread titled something like EDD not playing overseas. My hope is that the league with DT sitting out a season will acknowledge the problem & take steps to correct it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
EDD is an offensive machine. But taking this much of the burden on her shoulders will be tiring and could wear her down by the end of the season. She needs to give her body some rest so that the Lyme Disease stays dormant, otherwise that could crop up at any time and derail her.

Reaction Score
I'm delighted she's playing so well. This must mean her Lyme disease is now under control which is great for her and the WNBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom