ECU Crowd | The Boneyard

ECU Crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
I attended the ECU game on Thursday and here are some of my observations:

The fans were friendly and enthusiastic. They have a reputation of being somewhat fanatics but it certainly wasn't in evidence on Thursday. Probably something to do with the opponent. I heard it was quite a different story for the UNC game.

The sports complex is rather new and was well organized. Particularly nice baseball field.

Stadium was about 75%-80% filled. About 1/2 of the fans were in their seats by game start. About 80% of the students were in their seats at game time.

Almost all of the fans abided by the "Black Out".

Since the center section seats are painted a deep purple it was hard to tell on TV how many seats were empty, but at least 20% were empty by midway through the 1st Quarter. I would say that 20% of the fans in attendance left at halftime.

I parked in a Church Parking Lot about 3/4 ile from the stadium. Except for our group on 10 there wasn't any tailgating going on in this lot. The walk to the stadium was through a residential area with street parking and some residents having parking on their lawns. There was some tailgating going on here but nothing like at the Rent. It might have been different in the larger lots at the University but I was on the other side of the stadium.

Scalping tickets were pretty sparse and the prices were 1/2 or less of face value and their weren't many takers (probably the level of competition).

Overall a good experience.

Just some random thoughts, make your own opinion against The Rent.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sadly, I think most of this is because UCONN has become the sleepy opponent similar to what MAC teams used to be to us (during the Edsall years). We need a few more showings like we gave on Thursday night to change that.

If the atmosphere is the same there for basketball, then they'll never support hoops at ECU (I doubt that it will be).

Reaction Score
We should not throw stones at attendance. If we're able to fill 3 rows of students I'll be surprised. Noon game the day after Halloween? Yep everyone will have their alarms set for 9:00 to get on the bus.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We should not throw stones at attendance. If we're able to fill 3 rows of students I'll be surprised. Noon game the day after Halloween? Yep everyone will have their alarms set for 9:00 to get on the bus.

How about a high in the mid-40's and a chance of rain? That help?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
IS ECU's stadium on campus? If so, that would help with the 80% of students being in the section by kickoff.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Yes the Sports Complex is on campus and is convenient to the student population.. Greenville is a rather small town dominated by the University, Medical School and cotton farms.

I made my observations just to give the BY some idea as to game day environment at one of our conference schools. It was not meant to denigrate the UCONN experience, only to point out the different atmosphere. Some good some not as good.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that ECU usually has a raucous gameday atmosphere. I'm simply pointing out that it was less than capacity because we were the opponent. I'm sure that stadium was completely different when UNC was in town.

We will be lucky to have an announced crowd over 20K on Saturday. 3 rows of students seems about right. 2 rows will leave at halftime. Shame too since it will be a wonderful halftime dedication to Jazz.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
How about a high in the mid-40's and a chance of rain? That help?
windy too. The only people who look forward to that is the real die hards
N.N.N.A. (Negative need not apply)

The game is 6 days away, it's Homecoming, and the first home game in a month. Nothing is for certain, least of all the weather.

Reaction Score
We will be there but I am not looking forward to the cold weather, especially with rain. I was hoping the weather would be comfortable until well into November. Oh well. Truthfully I would rather a lite snow then rain, but Mother Nature didn't consult me.
I wouldn't miss this tribute to Jazz for anything even if my son had to carry me into the stadium.

Reaction Score
I think a ESPN commentator referenced the enthusiasm for most AAC competition vs Vir. Tech., Carolina (S), etc is reflected in the low attendance.

Reaction Score
I attended the ECU game on Thursday and here are some of my observations:

The fans were friendly and enthusiastic. They have a reputation of being somewhat fanatics but it certainly wasn't in evidence on Thursday. Probably something to do with the opponent. I heard it was quite a different story for the UNC game.

The sports complex is rather new and was well organized. Particularly nice baseball field.

Stadium was about 75%-80% filled. About 1/2 of the fans were in their seats by game start. About 80% of the students were in their seats at game time.

Almost all of the fans abided by the "Black Out".

Since the center section seats are painted a deep purple it was hard to tell on TV how many seats were empty, but at least 20% were empty by midway through the 1st Quarter. I would say that 20% of the fans in attendance left at halftime.

I parked in a Church Parking Lot about 3/4 ile from the stadium. Except for our group on 10 there wasn't any tailgating going on in this lot. The walk to the stadium was through a residential area with street parking and some residents having parking on their lawns. There was some tailgating going on here but nothing like at the Rent. It might have been different in the larger lots at the University but I was on the other side of the stadium.

Scalping tickets were pretty sparse and the prices were 1/2 or less of face value and their weren't many takers (probably the level of competition).

Overall a good experience.

Just some random thoughts, make your own opinion against The Rent.

I was there as well. I too heard fans were hostile, however my experience was quite the opposite. A number of ECU fans came up to me after the game to congratulate UCONN for a gritty performance. Most were naturally surprised that the game was so close.

ECU is a serious football stadium. a very impressive facility. One of the nicest I have been to. I am surprised that the Big East/AAC took so long to invite them in. They were a great replacement for Louisville. I was also at Tulane which wasn't bad but did not compare to the ECU game day experience.

I am hoping ECU runs the table impressively to give the American the nod over Marshall, Colorado State and Boise State for the Group of 5 representative in a major bowl. Safe to say the playoffs are not going to happen.

I found it interesting that their student section is called the boneyard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom