Early Bracketology | The Boneyard

Early Bracketology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it is still very early, but with the Regionals being hosted by 3 potential Top 8 teams (Louisville, ND and Stanford), being assigned to anyone of these three Regionals is an automatic disadvantage. Thinking out loud here, but theoretically, shouldn't the #1 overall seed earn a "pass" on having to play on another top-ranked contenders home floor? Outside of Duke and ND, I can't see any team challenging UConn for the overall #1 seed, and I really don't see either one of them running the table. So, assuming UConn is the #1 overall seed, I can't see them being sent anywhere else but Nebraska (i.e. the UConn Regional).

Does anyone disagree that a #1 overall UConn team will not be sent to the Nebraska Regional, as this is the most equitable option?

What is your order of preference as far as what Regional you would like your team assigned to, simply based on who is hosting it? Personally, ND is the only Regional I really want to avoid given UConn's recent history with ND...playing at Louisville and Stanford would provide an extra challenge but wouldn't cause me too much concern.

How are you feeling if you are Duke, Maryland, Kentucky, Tennessee, Baylor or any other possible #1 or #2 seed?

What is the criteria for hosting Regionals and how often will a team be able to host? Financially this makes sense, but it's not the most equitable solution. I guess the truly great teams will find a way to overcome and advance...playing at home is an advantage but certainly doesn't guarantee victory.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Answering your last question first - schools being able to host a Regional on their home floor is a one-time event. It was allowed for the first time this year, not well received, and will be shelved.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The other question raises an issue that the seeding committee will have to resolve. Normally, the top overall seed is given the closest Regional, but there has never been a situation where that assignment would match them up against another #1 seed. I think that will be eliminated without having to change the rules.

It seems likely that ND and Stanford will earn #1 seeds. Even if Stanford stumbles, I cannot imagine a scenario in which a top seeded UConn would go to Stanford.

It seems possible that Louisville will get a 2, rather than a 1 seed. If UConn cannot go to ND because they are both #1s, then Louisville is next closest. However. the two will have played at least twice in regular season, and almost certainly a third time, so I don't think the committee will want the two in the same regional (It is allowed, per their principles, IIRC, as long as they are the top two seeds. However, they got enough negative publicity about Baylor and TAMU that they will try to avoid it.)

That leaves Nebraska as the most likely location.

Oddly, if Louisville stumbles further, and gets a seed lower than 2, it makes is less likely that UConn would be in the at regional, as that is prohibited, not just discouraged (subject to an exception not likely to apply, namely that there are five teams from the conference in the region)

Reaction Score
The top seeds at this point: UConn, Duke, Notre Dame, and Tennessee, although I don't know if UT will hold on. They're certainly not a guaranteed number one seed. Let's see how they play against Kentucky. They should win. Maybe Stanford improves enough to climb back into a number one seed.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The top seeds at this point: UConn, Duke, Notre Dame, and Tennessee, although I don't know if UT will hold on.

UT had a nice win against TAMU, but that is probably saying more about TAMU than UT.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
UT had a nice win against TAMU, but that is probably saying more about TAMU than UT.

Toledo beat TAMU ? when was this ?

Reaction Score
I was super excited to hear that Stanford is one of the regional sites. Maybe I'll luck out and get to go to a game or two. It'd be a long shot if we went there to play, though.
I have a friend who goes there. Is a typical Stanford kid. Got a huge academic scholarship in and is smart as a tack. Not a big sports person, but I hope we can go see a game together.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This continues my hope that ND gets at least a #1 seed. If for some reason the Irish slip to the second line you can plan on being in South Bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom