During Realignment, Four Others From Big 12 Took a Look at Big Ten Switch | The Boneyard

During Realignment, Four Others From Big 12 Took a Look at Big Ten Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think Texas and OU eventually go somewhere (with or without Texas Tech, OSU, and Kansas). Then the leftovers will form something with the AAC schools, the MWC schools, or maybe some combination of both conferences.

I don't think the Big 10 would put up with Texas and their infinite demands. They might consider Oklahoma and Kansas, but I doubt it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Conclusion: I look forward to welcoming WV to the AAC in the not so distant future. I'd like to have TCU, Baylor and others, but I suspect those schools will take a hard look at the Mtn West conference. Plus, we can't dilute our precious tv contract with too much Texas football, can we?

Serious Conclusion: The rumblings of UConn having a golden ticket sourced from the 'car wash employee' is more likely the case of due diligence noise than facts in stone in a lockbox. In CRA, nothing is assured until its signed and announced.

Reaction Score
I found this passage in the article of interest. " The topic: Was the Big Ten, which had 11 members at the time, interested in adding five Big 12 schools? The feedback from Big Ten school officials was positive, both sources said. The sticking point was devising a revenue-sharing plan to satisfy all." Of the five universities mentioned, only four were AAU members (Iowa State, Kansas, Nebraska - still AAU at the time, Texas A & M) . Was lack of AAU membership for Oklahoma not a sticking point then? If not, then it lends further credence to the thought that AAU membership, although preferable, is not required by the B1G and a university or combination of universities that are institutional fits and enhance revenue for the conference will be considered for membership regardless of AAU status.

Reaction Score
The instability that he speaks about is why the Big 12 is working to become more stable with expansion. The problem is that the Big 12 is unable to poach schools from other P5 schools for a while. In the meantime, they can expand with BYU, Cincy or UCF.

That results in a conference title game, better conference stability and more money for the conference.

The ACC is going to continue to be behind the Big 12 in finances.

It is up to the Big 12 to become more stable since it is a functional conference.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I suspect a lot of this talk was decidedly on the Big 12 schools side... and not so much on the Big 10s. Heh

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Realignment talk on 1620 The Zone in Omaha today:

Edit: Realignment talk starts at 6:30

Reaction Score
I hate to put pressure on our football team,but they have to show they are on the way up this season.
The last go round we were in a down cycle and our HOF basketball coach retired.
We couldn't get less attractive if we tried.
We had even managed to turn a BCS bowl bid into a. Negative

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I hate to put pressure on our football team,but they have to show they are on the way up this season.
The last go round we were in a down cycle and our HOF basketball coach retired.
We couldn't get less attractive if we tried.
We had even managed to turn a BCS bowl bid into a. Negative

its also on the fans. I get the whole "we have better things to do with our time" thing but that excuse doesn't really fly with the way a lot of these people think. Doesn't have to be 38k+ for every game by any stretch of the imagination, just can't have anymore of the 3500 type crowds a la SMU.

Reaction Score
They (the two guys on the podcast) made a great point about timing. Why on earth would an AD of that league come out with this now if you're trying to keep the league stable?

Reaction Score
its also on the fans. I get the whole "we have better things to do with our time" thing but that excuse doesn't really fly with the way a lot of these people think. Doesn't have to be 38k+ for every game by any stretch of the imagination, just can't have anymore of the 3500 type crowds a la SMU.

I completely sympathize with the fact that The AAC provides less than stellar opponents for fans in CT to get excited about. That said if ever there was a time for UCONN Fans to show their support for their team, its now. CR is not over, the wheel is still spinning and UCONN needs to show that it is a viable draw for prospective conferences. As fans its the only thing we can control.

Reaction Score
They (the two guys on the podcast) made a great point about timing. Why on earth would an AD of that league come out with this now if you're trying to keep the league stable?
OU is like that guy who picks a fight with his girlfriend with the hope that she breaks up with him. It is very clear that OU wants out. What I find interesting is that there has been little to no talk from OSU. The last time, it was very clear that OU wouldn't leave OSU behind. What changed?

Reaction Score

I was there, but I can't fault anyone for staying home. If I recall we lost. We can't have anymore of those type of losses if you want bigger crowds.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Realignment talk on 1620 The Zone in Omaha today:

Edit: Realignment talk starts at 6:30

Does it ever piss off anyone else to hear commentators say that the B1G would be interested in Kansas because of basketball stated with such certainty, while ever one seems to write off UConn's MBB value because football drives the bus?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OU is like that guy who picks a fight with his girlfriend with the hope that she breaks up with him. It is very clear that OU wants out. What I find interesting is that there has been little to no talk from OSU. The last time, it was very clear that OU wouldn't leave OSU behind. What changed?

Good question. If OU went to the B1G, I think Ok ST would have a fair chance of getting a decent look from the SEC (decent football, basketball, new market & an indirect tap into Texas) and a more likely than not opportunity to join the PAC simply due to the limited expansion opportunities that the PAC has due to geography. Iowa St and K St along with Texas Tech and the XII privates would have a less clear future.

Reaction Score
Good question. If OU went to the B1G, I think Ok ST would have a fair chance of getting a decent look from the SEC (decent football, basketball, new market & an indirect tap into Texas) and a more likely than not opportunity to join the PAC simply due to the limited expansion opportunities that the PAC has due to geography. Iowa St and K St along with Texas Tech and the XII privates would have a less clear future.
Maybe I am allowing my emotions get the best of me, but I don't see OU to the B1g as this inevitable slam dunk for OU. It could be a case of be careful what you wish for. OU benefits a ton from playing UT and their "brand" of football doesn't necessarily fit the B1g style. It would not shock me one bit that 5 years from now, assuming OU joined today, that their football program would more resemble the mediocrity of Nebraska's vs the dominance of the Ohio State. On the field, both the PAC12 and SEC are far better fits. And this overvaluing of Kansas is simply silly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Does it ever piss anyone else to hear commentators say that the B1G would be interested in Kansas because of basketball stated with such certainty, while ever one seems to write off UConn's MBB value because football drives the bus?

If there's an additional thing that I've learned during all of this CR stuff (in addition to CR Rule #1), it is that the metrics *always* change when it comes to evaluating UConn vs anyone else.

"Sports are cyclical - Kansas football will be good again someday." vs "UConn football is terrible and always will be."
"Adding Kansas/UNC/Kentucky/Syracuse/Pitt...would be great for B1G basketball!" vs "Football drives the bus and UConn football will always and forever be terrible."
"Rutgers and Maryland offer growth potential once they're added to the B1G" vs "If UConn was P5 worthy, they'd already be in a P5 conference."
"Markets dominate TV decisions. Adding KU adds the 31st DMA in Kansas City!" vs "UConn only carries Hartford/New Haven (#30) and has zero presence in NYC or anywhere else."
"Academic integrity is at the core of everything we do at 'XYZ' Conference, that's why we can't invite UConn and their APR issues." vs "It is unfortunate that the NCAA levied such a heavy penalty against Syracuse and is considering doing the same against UNC. They aren't UConn afterall!"
"We are interested in hockey as it might be a growing sport for us on our BTN...so let's invite an upstart team that plays in the desert!" vs "UConn is only in its first year in Hockey East and did not win the title...they don't bring the 'juice' that Arizona State would bring in hockey."
"UConn is too much of an outlier for our conference; the travel would be absurd." vs "BYU is 30 mins closer to all of our teams than UConn and is a quick flight."

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Maybe I am allowing my emotions get the best of me, but I don't see OU to the B1g as this inevitable slam dunk for OU. It could be a case of be careful what you wish for. OU benefits a ton from playing UT and their "brand" of football doesn't necessarily fit the B1g style. It would not shock me one bit that 5 years from now, assuming OU joined today, that their football program would more resemble the mediocrity of Nebraska's vs the dominance of the Ohio State. On the field, both the PAC12 and SEC are far better fits. And this overvaluing of Kansas is simply silly.

OU was just as big of a program when they were in the Big8 as they are now. As long as the RRR continues, they will have their connection to Texas. Since there is a major state fair run around the RRR, my guess is that will continue for quite some time. Oklahoma's proximity to Texas will never change, they will always be right next door. They are only 150 miles from Dallas while UNL is 640 miles. Nebraska's downfall can be attributed to many possible reasons, one the biggest being them no longer being able to accept under qualified students.

In all reality, OU would fit in either the Big10, SEC, or the PAC. They have to decide which fits best for their entire university from athletics, to culture, and academics.

Reaction Score
OU was just as big of a program when they were in the Big8 as they are now. As long as the RRR continues, they will have their connection to Texas. Since there is a major state fair run around the RRR, my guess is that will continue for quite some time. Oklahoma's proximity to Texas will never change, they will always be right next door. They are only 150 miles from Dallas while UNL is 640 miles. Nebraska's downfall can be attributed to many possible reasons, one the biggest being them no longer being able to accept under qualified students.

In all reality, OU would fit in either the Big10, SEC, or the PAC. They have to decide which fits best for their entire university from athletics, to culture, and academics.
If they blow up the Big12, I doubt Texas will keep the RRR. If UT was willing to drop A&M, they will surely drop OU. The Big12 was the Big8 extended, so of course OU was able to thrive. Everything remained in tact. How many kids that OU recruits would rather play TCU/Baylor/OSU than Purdue/NW/Rutgers? The answer...............not many. Using your list, joining the B1g..............athletics negative, culture negative, academics positive.

Reaction Score
If there's an additional thing that I've learned during all of this CR stuff (in addition to CR Rule #1), it is that the metrics *always* change when it comes to evaluating UConn vs anyone else.

"Sports are cyclical - Kansas football will be good again someday." vs "UConn football is terrible and always will be."
"Adding Kansas/UNC/Kentucky/Syracuse/Pitt...would be great for B1G basketball!" vs "Football drives the bus and UConn football will always and forever be terrible."
"Rutgers and Maryland offer growth potential once they're added to the B1G" vs "If UConn was P5 worthy, they'd already be in a P5 conference."
"Markets dominate TV decisions. Adding KU adds the 31st DMA in Kansas City!" vs "UConn only carries Hartford/New Haven (#30) and has zero presence in NYC or anywhere else."
"Academic integrity is at the core of everything we do at 'XYZ' Conference, that's why we can't invite UConn and their APR issues." vs "It is unfortunate that the NCAA levied such a heavy penalty against Syracuse and is considering doing the same against UNC. They aren't UConn afterall!"
"We are interested in hockey as it might be a growing sport for us on our BTN...so let's invite an upstart team that plays in the desert!" vs "UConn is only in its first year in Hockey East and did not win the title...they don't bring the 'juice' that Arizona State would bring in hockey."
"UConn is too much of an outlier for our conference; the travel would be absurd." vs "BYU is 30 mins closer to all of our teams than UConn and is a quick flight."

It's on Warde to change this perception/reality. Rutgers, TCU, BC, PITT, Cuse, LCC, Cincy, UCF and now Memphis all had negatives but are somehow now all more worthy than UConn. Ridiculous.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If they blow up the Big12, I doubt Texas will keep the RRR. If UT was willing to drop A&M, they will surely drop OU. The Big12 was the Big8 extended, so of course OU was able to thrive. Everything remained in tact. How many kids that OU recruits would rather play TCU/Baylor/OSU than Purdue/NW/Rutgers? The answer.....not many. Using your list, joining the B1g....athletics negative, culture negative, academics positive.

Yet the fair is set around the RRR for the next 10 years. It's the main attraction and, since we know that Texas legislature can force UT to do what it wants UT to do (bringing in Baylor), do you think that Texas would be able to stop the biggest attraction at the state fair?

As for who recruit would want to play, you list the worst of the Big 10 and the best of the rest of the Big12. Do you think that OU recruits would want to play the Big12 schools you listed or Nebraska (every year), Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State? Do you think Oklahoma would want to be on a conference network like the BTN or stay in a conference where their exposure is limited? Except for baseball, the athletics are just as good, if not better than the Big12.

The culture is different, but that's where UNL, and to a lesser extent, Iowa can help. If Kansas were to join along with OU, they would be a huge culture bridge as well. A pod of OU, KU, UNL, and Iowa would be culturally acceptable, I might guess. If they were looking at a Texas school too, like some have said, that would make them feel more at home. Who that would be or how they would fill out to 20 is anybody's guess, but a pod of five Great Plains schools,would be culturally relevant.

Again, any conference but the ACC would be a great fit for OU. All have their pluses and minuses, just any possible expansion candidate.

Reaction Score
Yet the fair is set around the RRR for the next 10 years. It's the main attraction and, since we know that Texas legislature can force UT to do what it wants UT to do (bringing in Baylor), do you think that Texas would be able to stop the biggest attraction at the state fair?

As for who recruit would want to play, you list the worst of the Big 10 and the best of the rest of the Big12. Do you think that OU recruits would want to play the Big12 schools you listed or Nebraska (every year), Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State? Do you think Oklahoma would want to be on a conference network like the BTN or stay in a conference where their exposure is limited? Except for baseball, the athletics are just as good, if not better than the Big12.

The culture is different, but that's where UNL, and to a lesser extent, Iowa can help. If Kansas were to join along with OU, they would be a huge culture bridge as well. A pod of OU, KU, UNL, and Iowa would be culturally acceptable, I might guess. If they were looking at a Texas school too, like some have said, that would make them feel more at home. Who that would be or how they would fill out to 20 is anybody's guess, but a pod of five Great Plains schools,would be culturally relevant.

Again, any conference but the ACC would be a great fit for OU. All have their pluses and minuses, just any possible expansion candidate.
No, I believe UT will always play a game at the Cotton Bowl for the state fair. I also think they can replace OU with a few other rivals that would still keep many Texans attending the fair happy. (Maybe A&M) Historically, OSU/Baylor/TCU are far from Big12 elite and I did purposely leave out other weak B1G programs such as Indiana and Illinois. Point is, I just don't see the B1g as this home run for Oklahoma. I can very easily argue that joining the Pac 12 with 3 additional Big12 schools(including OSU) or joining the SEC with perhaps 1 additional school would both be better fits. Weighing the pros/cons for OU, I feel the B1g is a distant third.

Reaction Score
I also think they can replace OU with a few other rivals that would still keep many Texans attending the fair happy. (Maybe A&M) Historically, OSU/Baylor/TCU are from Big12 elite and I did purposely leave out other weak B1G programs such as Indiana and Illinois. Point is, I just don't see the B1g as this home run for Oklahoma. I can very easily argue that joining the Pac 12 with 3 additional Big12 schools(including OSU) or joining the SEC with perhaps 1 additional school would both be better fits. Weighing the pros/cons for OU, I feel the B1g is a distant third.

Turnabout is also "fair" play (pun not originally intended). OU wants to play a game in Dallas. The prospect of OU playing a game with someone other than Texas will probably keep Texas at the table for the RRR.

The academic wing at OU ostensibly prefers BIG. That's at least 50% of the house right there. When you add the prospect of reviving the Nebraska game, and add financial stability that is hard to match, that's easily enough to tip the scales. The only question is if the Big Ten can pack the stadium like the SEC could. I think that gets back to the Nebraska game. With the likelihood of a blue-blood filling the gap when playing @Nebraska, I think season ticket sales at OU would be very high. Certainly much higher than with PAC.

Reaction Score
It's on Warde to change this perception/reality. Rutgers, TCU, BC, PITT, Cuse, LCC, Cincy, UCF and now Memphis all had negatives but are somehow now all more worthy than UConn. Ridiculous.

You're right on point. For better or worse, fball is carrying the day for the immediate future, and priority number 1 has to be to put a competent and consistent fball team together. Anything else is putting the cart before the horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom