Duke's Guard Situation 2014-2015 | The Boneyard

Duke's Guard Situation 2014-2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
  • As of now, Duke has to hope Alexis Jones recovers well from her injury. Otherwise, their backcourt consists of Ka'lia Johnson (good rebounder, but not the best ball handler), Jenna Frush (walk-on who averages less than 2 min per game) Greenwell (who is really a wing, but can play shooting guard), and possibly Sierra Calhoun could play some guard. In any event, I would suppose that they are going to face backcourt pressure in every game they play next year. How they handle this, and if any of the above players can learn to run the point, will go a long way to determining their season. If they get consistent help there, they should be fine as the rest of the team is talented If none of those players can handle the pressure, they could struggle to hold onto 3rd place in the ACC (behind ND, NC) as Syracuse and GT should both be improved. Would like to hear others opinions on this, especially tridukefan.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This signing maybe makes next season less untenable, but not by much.

I wonder if Duke showed any interest in Australia's Kristy Wallace. She was just in the states visiting Purdue, Louisville, Washington. SMU and Baylor. She'll announce next week. She can play either guard position though some think is best as the point guard.

Reaction Score
It sounds like a great opportunity for Riggs...to go from a community college to getting a degree from Duke! And she'll get a chance to play and contribute, as the cherry on top.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Wallace is a hard nosed guard and could have helped Duke. Looking forward to hearing of her choice and watching her transition to the US.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wallace is a hard nosed guard and could have helped Duke. Looking forward to hearing of her choice and watching her transition to the US.

We often hear "hard nosed" in connection with Aussie players. They grow 'em tough down under.

Reaction Score
Duke should be alright if they are healthy. PGs ....Jones, Riggs, maybe Johnson. Wings Calhoun, and Greenwell.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke should be alright if they are healthy. PGs ....Jones, Riggs, maybe Johnson. Wings Calhoun, and Greenwell.

Personally I would hope to see Jones redshirt this season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Duke signing a JUCO player demonstrates how they'll waive their academic standards to get a player to enroll. Can't see Stanford or ND ever doing this just to get a player. How can Duke consider themselves an Elite Academic Institution when players that play from them don't meet the same standards as non-players. They are no different then UConn. Duke's Men's basketball team has been doing this for years, and I suspect with the sudden improvement of their football team, they're also relaxing academic standards to get players to enroll.

Reaction Score
IMHO Duke signing a JUCO player demonstrates how they'll waive their academic standards to get a player to enroll. Can't see Stanford or ND ever doing this just to get a player. How can Duke consider themselves an Elite Academic Institution when players that play from them don't meet the same standards as non-players. They are no different then UConn. Duke's Men's basketball team has been doing this for years, and I suspect with the sudden improvement of their football team, they're also relaxing academic standards to get players to enroll.
From the article:
"An outstanding student, Riggs was named to the Dean’s List in the Spring of 2013 and President’s List (High Honor Roll) in the Fall of 2013 at Salt Lake Community College. She was also a four-time Honor Roll selection in high school."

Reaction Score

Every school in the country including Stanford and Notre Dame have different admissions standards and criteria for athletes. In fact when ND was negotiating with Urban Meyer to be their Football coach the main sticking point in the negotiations was the number of admissions waivers that he was granted per year.

Reaction Score
I suspect with the sudden improvement of their football team, they're also relaxing academic standards to get players to enroll.
Seven Duke football players were inducted into the National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society this year.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.d...843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209484008&DB_OEM_ID=4200

"Duke’s seven selections tied Boise State for the most of any FBS program. Duke has now placed at least four players on the NFF Hampshire Honor Society in three consecutive seasons. The seven Hampshire Honor Society citations come on the heels of an historic season for the Blue Devils, who won a school-record 10 games and the ACC Coastal Division and played in the 2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl on New Year’s Eve.

The NFF Hampshire Honor Society is comprised of college football players from all divisions of play who maintained a cumulative 3.2 grade point average or better throughout their college careers. A total of 838 players from 267 schools qualified for membership in the society's eighth year, setting a new record for the number of members in the history of the program, which began in 2007.

“We continue to raise the bar each year for the number of student-athletes who qualify for membership in the Hampshire Honor Society,” said NFF President & CEO Steve Hatchell. “The Hampshire Honor Society plays an important role in highlighting that college football players clearly play a leadership role in the classroom as well as on the playing field. We congratulate each of these young men for their commitment to excellence.”"

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
This signing maybe makes next season less untenable, but not by much.

I wonder if Duke showed any interest in Australia's Kristy Wallace. She was just in the states visiting Purdue, Louisville, Washington. SMU and Baylor. She'll announce next week. She can play either guard position though some think is best as the point guard.

Where have you gathered info about when Wallace will announce? I knew she visited Louisville (and others) but had not heard anything since. link?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
IMHO Duke signing a JUCO player demonstrates how they'll waive their academic standards to get a player to enroll. Can't see Stanford or ND ever doing this just to get a player. How can Duke consider themselves an Elite Academic Institution when players that play from them don't meet the same standards as non-players. They are no different then UConn.

She is different.

3.9 GPA in high school. Standout academically. Was not recruited at all. Wanted to stay close to home (comes from a tight knit Mormon family), but also wanted to play. Only SLCC offered that for her.

There is also a strong, though small, Mormon community at Duke (saw this first hand when I was a student at Duke Law School) and in the Triangle area. And the Duke men's program had Jabari Parker for one year, as its most recent Mormon member of the men's basketball team (Matt Christensen and a few others came before him).

Duke does get allowances for athletes (1 or 2 for women's basketball), in terms of not having the same academic qualifications as other Duke students. But merely because she went to a junior college does not mean she did not qualify academically or that Duke lowered its standards. This is truly the unique situation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
thread_direction.gif

Every school in the country including Stanford and Notre Dame have different admissions standards and criteria for athletes. In fact when ND was negotiating with Urban Meyer to be their Football coach the main sticking point in the negotiations was the number of admissions waivers that he was granted per year.

Please dont let Cardfan see this post :rolleyes:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Riggs may be a great student and would have been admitted to Duke from High School using the standards that Duke uses for their normal students. However, I'm tired of Schools that pass themselves off as Elite Educational Institutions and then make exceptions for their athletes just so they can have good teams. IMHO standards should be the same regardless of whether they're an athlete or not. That's why I admire Stanford, because they do it the right way when it comes to their Admission Requirements. Stanford has proven you can have great teams and still have athletes meet the same requirements that Normal Students have to meet. I wonder how many National Championships Tara would have if they admitted one or two elite basketball players that did not meet their normal admission requirements. I would bet it would be more then two. A couple of Elite players to go along with Nneka and Chiney would have made a huge difference.

I'm not saying Duke should have Stanford's Admission Requirements. As someone said in this thread, school determine their own admission standards. What I am saying what is required for the Normal Student, should apply to the Athletes as well. One Standard for All Students.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
However, I'm tired of Schools that pass themselves off as Elite Educational Institutions and then make exceptions for their athletes just so they can have good teams. IMHO standards should be the same regardless of whether they're an athlete or not. That's why I admire Stanford, because they do it the right way when it comes to their Admission Requirements. Stanford has proven you can have great teams and still have athletes meet the same requirements that Normal Students have to meet.

Not all of Stanford's basketball players would have been admitted if they were not basketball players, I can almost guarantee that. I'm sure they meet some baseline qualification. But they are getting into Stanford because they play basketball. Make no mistake about that. According to google, the admission rate for Stanford is 6.6%. I really doubt every Stanford player is in the top 7 percent of the applicant pool, academic wise. Athletes will never be held to the same admissions standard as non-students. At any school.

Back on topic, do we know how Jones's recovery is doing. I think if she's 100%(big if) they will be in fine shape. Plus now they have Riggs and Kalia Johnson has all summer to work on her handle. I think Duke will be very, very good next season. Besides, they are due some good luck.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Duke should have Stanford's Admission Requirements. As someone said in this thread, school determine their own admission standards. What I am saying what is required for the Normal Student, should apply to the Athletes as well. One Standard for All Students.

If that were the case, virtually all schools, including UConn, would be missing a few players.

And once the students are on campus, they still have to compete academically and maintain the same academic standing/standards/requirements.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking one of the keys for Duke will be Becca Greenwell. She was all-eveything coming out of high school and has not played 1 play in college ball. She red-shirted last year because of her knee, and she also missed her Jr. year in high school because of a knee. Not sure if it was the same knee or a different one.
I hope she gets healthy, and stays that way, because she could really spread their offense out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom