Duke's Assistant Coach Nate James on 1999 Championship | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke's Assistant Coach Nate James on 1999 Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke looked very impressive all '98-99 season, but part of that was the ACC being down that year. If memory serves (and when it doesn't, there's Wikipedia), they only had 3 teams (out of 9) in the tournament. The Big East had 5/13 then members.

Based on seeding, UConn also had the "harder" road to the Final 4, playing a 16, 9, 5, and 10 seed. Whereas Duke played 16, 9, 12, 6.

Regardless, from early March (just after mid-terms) through Mid-May (Graduation) was one of the best 3 month stretches of my life. I just wish I remembered more of it...
Sorry dook was an outstanding team in 98-99, formidable and well coached. If we put them down or look for pimples it diminishes our victory. To me both teams were equal, Ricky Moore was the difference that night. A one possession victory does not make one dominate, but we only had to be for one game.

That was the best Championship game I ever witnessed eclipsing the Valvano victory.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Dook's assistant coach Nate James is a delusional moron.

Uconn was the better team, the more athletic team, Rip was the best player on the court, Special K & Ricky were the best guards and Jim Calhoun the better coach. Dook however, did win the battle of the hype.

We win one and done, we win a short series, we win a long series. But he can tell his kids and that delusional fan base all the stupid Stop he so desires, maybe it helps him sleep at night

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sorry dook was an outstanding team in 98-99, formidable and well coached. If we put them down or look for pimples it diminishes our victory. To me both teams were equal, Ricky Moore was the difference that night. A one possession victory does not make one dominate, but we only had to be for one game.

That was the best Championship game I ever witnessed eclipsing the Valvano victory.
1. I'm not putting Duke down. I am pointing out that the delta in their perceived dominance was not as great in reality.
2. I am also not looking for pimples. I am pointing out facts.

UConn was more experienced and had deeper depth. Duke barely went eight deep and only six players in the NC game had more than ten minutes. When they did go 8-9 deep, they were already basically up by 20. UConn routinely went 9 deep. Langdon (5th year) and Carrawell (Jr.) were Duke's only experienced contributors. The rest were Freshmen and Sophomores. All of UConn's starting 5 and Mouring experience the '98 "neutral" court Elite 8 game vs. UNC and only Jones and Moore were fulfilling their eligibility.

Reaction Score
1. I'm not putting Duke down. I am pointing out that the delta in their perceived dominance was not as great in reality.
2. I am also not looking for pimples. I am pointing out facts.

UConn was more experienced and had deeper depth. Duke barely went eight deep and only six players in the NC game had more than ten minutes. When they did go 8-9 deep, they were already basically up by 20. UConn routinely went 9 deep. Langdon (5th year) and Carrawell (Jr.) were Duke's only experienced contributors. The rest were Freshmen and Sophomores. All of UConn's starting 5 and Mouring experience the '98 "neutral" court Elite 8 game vs. UNC and only Jones and Moore were fulfilling their eligibility.

One of the things, is that Duke dominated during the season. They lead the nation in fg %, 3 pt fg %, rebound margin, and margin of victory.

I remember JC saying something to the effect of: "Duke dominated so many teams, because the teams were intimidated by the name on the front of the Duke jersey". I think many teams bought into the hype and were scared of Duke. The FF was the "Duke Invitational". I remember a talking head claiming that, "Duke's starting five was the best team in the country, and their bench was the number 2 team in the country". You think the Huskies resented this overhype?

Reaction Score
I believe the reality of the game and the outcome is right in Nate James delusional statement. The fact they ALL believed what in fact he still says, is part of the reason they were confused with the outcome. They lost partially because the arrogance he still portrays and partially because UConn was lot better than he and many others thought going in!

Reaction Score
We lost twice that year. One game without Jake and Rip and another without one of them in the others first game back. If those guys dont get hurt we go undefeated that season because we were great that season. How anyone had Duke such a big favorite or think that they could win 9/10 games against us is high on crack! That Uconn team was great and would not have gotten dominated by anyone.

Reaction Score
Duke and UConn were both outstanding, outstanding, teams the entire season. Duke was recognized as such. UConn much less so.

You know what -- BFD. They played a tournament, the two best teams made the final and the team that won was the best team. Wtf cares what Nate James or anyone else thinks

Reaction Score
More than a bit of revisionist history here, my esteemed rivals.

As I recall the '99 Huskies traded #1 ranking throughout that season with Duke. Your squad was really good and hardly the shocking upset some like to recall. Yes, my sweet Devils were favored and I thought them to be unstoppable. But Rip & Company outplayed my boys that night, and not through some miracle of pulling a Villanova versus Georgetown. That game hurts to this day, but honestly, was it much of an upset?

I don't think so.

Hoping for a great game tomorrow and hopeful, but not assured of a Devil win.

-Devil out...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
DevilYouKnow said:
More than a bit of revisionist history here, my esteemed rivals. As I recall the '99 Huskies traded #1 ranking throughout that season with Duke. Your squad was really good and hardly the shocking upset some like to recall. Yes, my sweet Devils were favored and I thought them to be unstoppable. But Rip & Company outplayed my boys that night, and not through some miracle of pulling a Villanova versus Georgetown. That game hurts to this day, but honestly, was it much of an upset? I don't think so. Hoping for a great game tomorrow and hopeful, but not assured of a Devil win. -Devil out...

I think you need to clue Nate James into that fact.

Reaction Score

As I recall the '99 Huskies traded #1 ranking throughout that season with Duke. Your squad was really good and hardly the shocking upset some like to recall. Yes, my sweet Devils were favored and I thought them to be unstoppable. But Rip & Company outplayed my boys that night, and not through some miracle of pulling a Villanova versus Georgetown. That game hurts to this day, but honestly, was it much of an upset?

I don't think so.

-Devil out...

Thanks and I agree. The media hyped up how good Duke was and how the 1999 Championship game would be a coronation of one of the best college basketball teams ever. Looking at each team and their results that season, it was clear it was close to an even match. UConn was the better team that day and it should not have been as much of a shock, though ESPN and CBS made it feel that way.

Reaction Score
Thanks and I agree. The media hyped up how good Duke was and how the 1999 Championship game would be a coronation of one of the best college basketball teams ever. Looking at each team and their results that season, it was clear it was close to an even match. UConn was the better team that day and it should not have been as much of a shock, though ESPN and CBS made it feel that way.

well, to be fair, Khalid jumping around yelling that we shocked the world might have something to do with that preception too.

Reaction Score

I don't think so.

-Devil out...
Well, based upon this link it was the biggest upset ever in a championship game based upon point spread. Even bigger than Georgetown/Villanova. My recollection was that Georgetown/Villanova was a bigger spread, but for sure it was one of the top few championship game upsets based upon point spread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_M...ball_Championship#Notable_point_spread_upsets

Obviously in reality it wasn't a big upset, because the point spread was mostly driven by you dominating the ACC, which was a crap conference that year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Speed kills. If James didn't learn that in the 1999 Championship Game, he should go find another profession.
Very true.

One thing that irked me after the game was a handful of talking heads claiming the pace of the game was a major factor. I was convinced then and still am today that the pace played clearly to Duke's favor. I thought that a game played in the 70's (where that game fell) gave them a slight advantage, in the 80's we would have had a slight advantage and in the 90's we would have had a clear advantage. Contrary to what most people (especially Duke's players) believed at that time, we were both quicker and deeper than Duke was and that they would not have realized it until it was too late, a faster pace would have destroyed them.

James can believe whatever fairy tale he wants. The reality is that in the one game that did count, we walked away with the prize. If there were ten games, we would win seven, maybe eight.

Reaction Score
On the way out the door from IZOD last night some drunk, old Duke alumni was bragging that the Blue Devils had beaten UConn twice in a row now. A UConn guy heard it and asked when was the last time Duke beat UConn in a meaningful game. He responded that all games were meaningful. In turn, as I was standing next to his should, I responded, after seeing his Duke jacket that had special badges for each of their national title wins, why he did not have a 'Second Place' badge for 1999? His retort was colorful.

Reaction Score
On the way out the door from IZOD last night some drunk, old Duke alumni was bragging that the Blue Devils had beaten UConn twice in a row now. A UConn guy heard it and asked when was the last time Duke beat UConn in a meaningful game. He responded that all games were meaningful. In turn, as I was standing next to his should, I responded, after seeing his Duke jacket that had special badges for each of their national title wins, why he did not have a 'Second Place' badge for 1999? His retort was colorful.

Love fairy tale retorts - let's hear it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom