Duke is holding forum for season ticket holders who didn't renew | The Boneyard

Duke is holding forum for season ticket holders who didn't renew

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been posted...I was reading on the Duke board that several posters who didn't renew their season tickets have been contacted by the university to participate in a forum to express why they didn't renew. Pretty much al the reasons listed on the board have to do with Coach P...her social media stuff, not acknowledging seniors, players transferring, coaches leaving for lateral moves, failure to compete with the top teams...

Very interesting move by Duke. Wonder if anything will come of it.

My husband went to Duke, and while it's SUPER fun to beat them by 30 each year and rub it in his face, a real rivalry would probably be even more fun.

Reaction Score
you did a great job of summarizing the reasons Coach P is not popular at Duke - if she didn't have a long term contract she would be gone. I think she has one more chance with the recruiting class of 2015. They need to go to the elite 8 or better, and keep the class together, or Coach P is history.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Apologies if this has been posted...I was reading on the Duke board that several posters who didn't renew their season tickets have been contacted by the university to participate in a forum to express why they didn't renew. Pretty much al the reasons listed on the board have to do with Coach P...her social media stuff, not acknowledging seniors, players transferring, coaches leaving for lateral moves, failure to compete with the top teams...

My husband went to Duke, and while it's SUPER fun to beat them by 30 each year and rub it in his face, a real rivalry would probably be even more fun.

Plus if your husband is the same bloke who has supported your UConn fandom in various ways prior to your marriage (including getting you tickets to the Stanford game in late 2012), you have to take it at least a *little* easy on the guy...

Reaction Score

One thing that sucks about Duke is you can't order handicap seating. Can you believe that. How long ago was the ADA enacted and you still can't order handicap seating at Duke. We purchased tickets for last years Jimmy V Classic and were told we had to show up early to exchange our regular seats for handicap seats... if available. Anyone can turn in their regular tickets, in person, at anytime for handicap seats for any future game. But you can't order them or have them mailed to you if you send the regular tickets to the ticket office. After trying to reason with people in the ticketing office and I don't even remember who else.... they changed their policy so they would put you on a list. Just what we wanted... a list, if seats are available. We decided not to drive 600 miles and take a chance we couldn't get seats. What a joke. You would think a premier program like Duke Basketball would be better than that.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
That's bizarre...I hope someone comes back to post over there what was said at the meeting.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One thing that sucks about Duke is you can't order handicap seating. Can you believe that. How long ago was the ADA enacted and you still can't order handicap seating at Duke. We purchased tickets for last years Jimmy V Classic and were told we had to show up early to exchange our regular seats for handicap seats... if available. Anyone can turn in their regular tickets, in person, at anytime for handicap seats for any future game. But you can't order them or have them mailed to you if you send the regular tickets to the ticket office. After trying to reason with people in the ticketing office and I don't even remember who else.... they changed their policy so they would put you on a list. Just what we wanted... a list, if seats are available. We decided not to drive 600 miles and take a chance we couldn't get seats. What a joke. You would think a premier program like Duke Basketball would be better than that.

The ADA was signed into law on July 26, 1990, by President George H.W. Bush. It has undergone several revisions but stands as Federal Law. I suggest two solutions:

1. File a complaint with the Department of Justice; or,

2. Publish (local or campus paper) a bitchy letter to embarrass the administration.
You might also consider doing a video of a severely disabled vet being denied HP seating.

Shame the bastards!

Reaction Score
i think of tenn and duke in the sense that in the last few years, they are getting the players, yet are not relevant on the biggest stage.......... something is on the horizon I am sure

Reaction Score
Duke Admin is taking notice and change is coming soon............Tha would be a great schol for Jen Rizzotti or bring back GG

Reaction Score
From many of her tweets and comments I've read over the last few years the Duke coach seems to live in a reality all her own. Her bosses must be aware that her coaching will be a topic and that it won't be very complimentary. I can only infer that they want to give her a wakeup call and are doing it in a way that is sure to be embarrassing to her. Or they are greasing the exit.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Duke obviously didn't sell many season tickets this year because I ordered a ticket for the USC/Duke game this week and I'm 3 rows behind one of the benches.

Reaction Score
The UCONN ticket office won't send out a questionaire anytime soon to the people who didn't renew season tickets! They'd have a thousand or so letters to go through!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke Admin is taking notice and change is coming soon..Tha would be a great schol for Jen Rizzotti or bring back GG

Around the same time UCONN gets that Big 10 invite ? :rolleyes:

Duke obviously didn't sell many season tickets this year because I ordered a ticket for the USC/Duke game this week and I'm 3 rows behind one of the benches.

Usually the seats in the area behind the visitor bench arent taken up by season ticket holders anyway. When i order tickets for a big game... those are usually the ones that are available. Not sure if it's any different this year..... havent ordered for any of the games yet. One of the good things about playing in Cameron Indoor... is a crowd of 5,000-6,000 can get pretty loud. Probably louder than 10,000 people at a arena that holds 18-20 K like the Colonial Center or Thomas Boling Arena.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
you did a great job of summarizing the reasons Coach P is not popular at Duke - if she didn't have a long term contract she would be gone. I think she has one more chance with the recruiting class of 2015. They need to go to the elite 8 or better, and keep the class together, or Coach P is history.
Coach has already made some small adjustments cut down on the tweets lots of praise
for the assistance coaches. The administration has bought into all our injuries we
have had for our record, in short she is there as long as she likes.

Reaction Score
Didn't Coach McCauley coach at Maine and Michigan State rather successfully? What happened?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I didn't think those are available as season tickets?? Perhaps a dookie can clarify.

I say this because that is where we sat as "General Admission" for an in-season tourney we saw there.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Didn't Coach McCauley coach at Maine and Michigan State rather successfully? What happened?

I believe it's McCallie and she apparently likes the nickname "Coach 'P,' short for her maiden name of Palumbo.

Yes, she was successful at Maine, then at Michigan State, but she has not quite fulfilled the expectations many Duke fans had for her when she succeeded (no pun) Coach G. This becomes more frustrating to the Dookie faithful because she has consistently recruited well yet disappointed so often in big games.

I defer to Cam on this topic.

Reaction Score
The ADA was signed into law on July 26, 1990, by President George H.W. Bush. It has undergone several revisions but stands as Federal Law. I suggest two solutions:

1. File a complaint with the Department of Justice; or,

2. Publish (local or campus paper) a bitchy letter to embarrass the administration.
You might also consider doing a video of a severely disabled vet being denied HP seating.

Shame the bastards!
Hard to believe getting handicapped seats these days would be any kind of issue. Duke sounds a little backward and ignorant on this matter if this is accurate.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Yes, she was successful at Maine, then at Michigan State, but she has not quite fulfilled the expectations many Duke fans had for her when she succeeded (no pun) Coach G. This becomes more frustrating to the Dookie faithful because she has consistently recruited well yet disappointed so often in big games.

I defer to Cam on this topic.

Coach P's Strengths:
1) Recruiting. It has never been better. Initially, it was just getting players from states that traditionally did not send a lot of players to Duke, or, if they did, they transferred (California - Brooke Smith, Rometra Craig). California has sent Chelsea Gray, Oderah Chidom, Kendall Cooper, etc. to Duke. But Coach P has plucked recruits from other states not traditionally known as basketball powerhouses or for sending players to Duke (Missouri - Kathleen Scheer), but also getting international players (Vernerey, Salvadores). Also, Duke has top five classes year after year.

2) Overall record. Coach P has won 82.7 percent of her games at Duke. She has won ACC Coach of the Year in three out of the last five seasons. Duke has made the Elite Eight in four of seven seasons.

3) Academics. Lots of All-ACC honors and high-achieving student-athletes.

Coach P's Weaknesses:
1) Record against top-tier opponents. At Duke, she is 7-21 against Top 5 teams. And many of those games (such as the games against UConn) have not been close.

2) No Final Four appearances. When you are hired to build upon an existing successful program, it is not going to be accepted if
you maintain the status quo, much less take a step backward.

3) Turnover. Five assistant coaches left in seven years, with only one for a head coaching job. Plus, there have been transfers and defections, without much explanation.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
And then there is the comparison to her predecessor, Gail Goestenkors. These statistics are from McCallie's 7 years at Duke stacked up against Goestenkors's last 7 seasons at Duke.

Overall record:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 199-41 (82.92 percent)

NCAA record:
Goestenkors: 23-7 (one NCAA runner-up, three Final Fours, five years at least making the Elite eight, all seven years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 16-7 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, five years at least making the Sweet 16, two second round losses)

Against UConn:
Goestenkors: 2-2 (2-2 for her career; 2-1 against UConn over her last seven years)
McCallie: 0-7 (and only one loss was less than 22 points)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 14-13 (51.85 percent)
McCallie: 7-21 (25.0 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 25-13 (65.79 percent)
McCallie: 18-23 (43.90 percent)

Here is the conundrum for Duke - McCallie's record at Duke consists of winning nearly 83 percent of games with four Elite Eights in seven years. Almost anywhere else, that gets a coach a raise. But it is a step backward for Duke, from someone who was expressly hired to take Duke to the next level. Duke used to be a perennial Final Four participant and was regularly discussed as a legitimate national title contender. Now, Duke is mentioned as a possible Elite Eight team and a team that regularly gets embarassed in games against elite opponents

Reaction Score
Geno mentioned on Sunday about coaches not wanting to play UCONN and I am sur his comments were for Coach P ears and the folks at Duke, Tenn, GA and Texas............

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

As I read the link I could not help but think that the focus seemed to be on the possibility (real or imagined) of someone(s) gaming the system by faking either a disability or the bona fide need for an accompanying person, or both. The rigmarole to buy an HP ticket would discourage many.

Here in Connecticut I can state with absolute certainty that the need for a companion seat was formerly assumed and honored but is now ignored at both Gampel and XL I have a wheelchair space for two games (one each site) plus a seat elsewhere for my accompanying wife. We will manage but I know others who can't.

An ideal policy solution to all contingencies appears to be beyond the reach of lawmakers and arena managers alike. I am pleased to identify two establishments that are super accommodating to us HP folks: Hartford Hilton (we'll be there night of December 29 for 9 p.m. Duke game) and Madison Square Garden (January 4, Jamie Dixon Classic). We are grateful to both.

Reaction Score
Just read the article. Does not seem that these procedures would meet the intent of the law or the common sense approach to buying tickets. It's common to see handicap access tickets displayed alongside other tickets for every ticket selling venue I've ever seen. Just checked Duke's web site for tickets. It's not set up for buying handicapped seating directly from the box office. Rather pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom