duffy--Ollie is the right fit, but how about Pasqualoni? | The Boneyard

duffy--Ollie is the right fit, but how about Pasqualoni?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From what I read on the football forum most of the posters want to see PP gone. But even more want to see the offensive coordinator gone. That is unlikely to happen since both PP and GDL have been friends since Cuse and both have gone from team to team together.

I would give PP one more year. He finally has his recruits lined up as opposed to what he inherited from RE and if they make progress this season continue to observe. I feel a football coach cannot turn a program around for at least four years. A bb coach needs at least two years. The debate on the football side is over the offensive line which prior to PP's arrival was very good. Now they are abysmal even though most of the football posters don't feel there was a talent drop off. It's hard to tell because PP inherited no QB's and weak running backs and maybe the problem is with those positions.

Reaction Score
Holy crap, a sports writer speaking like a fan, i love it. He just said it more logically than boneyard.

Reaction Score
From what I read on the football forum most of the posters want to see PP gone. But even more want to see the offensive coordinator gone. That is unlikely to happen since both PP and GDL have been friends since Cuse and both have gone from team to team together.

I would give PP one more year. He finally has his recruits lined up as opposed to what he inherited from RE and if they make progress this season continue to observe. I feel a football coach cannot turn a program around for at least four years. A bb coach needs at least two years. The debate on the football side is over the offensive line which prior to PP's arrival was very good. Now they are abysmal even though most of the football posters don't feel there was a talent drop off. It's hard to tell because PP inherited no QB's and weak running backs and maybe the problem is with those positions.

The thing is, PP wasn't hired to turn a program around; he was hired to be a steady hand and maintain course, given that the program he inherited had just gone to 4 straight bowls. He's turned that into two straight losing seasons, and destroyed two of the previous mainstays of the program, the offensive line and the running game. I guess you could say he's already turned the program around--in the wrong direction. He was never expected to take UConn to the next level-he just had to hold steady. Since he can't even do that, he deserves to go; after next year, if he turns in another losing season, there shouldn't be any calling for him to get a fourth year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The thing is, PP wasn't hired to turn a program around; he was hired to be a steady hand and maintain course, given that the program he inherited had just gone to 4 straight bowls. He's turned that into two straight losing seasons, and destroyed two of the previous mainstays of the program, the offensive line and the running game. I guess you could say he's already turned the program around--in the wrong direction. He was never expected to take UConn to the next level-he just had to hold steady. Since he can't even do that, he deserves to go; after next year, if he turns in another losing season, there shouldn't be any calling for him to get a fourth year.

I'm not a great fan of PP and no fan at all of GDL. But the fact is that the offensive cupboard was pretty bare when PP took over. And the difference between the UConn "success" and the last two years in terms of wins and losses is pretty paper thin. Even our BCS year, the league sucked and we got there without being all that mind blowing. I think Edsall gets all the credit for making the program competitive faster than we had a right to expect (getting home grown Orlovsky had a bit to do with that) but being competitive was about the most you can say and I never thought Edsall was the guy to bring the program to the next level. PP was a bad hire mostly because I think we needed someone younger who might stick with the program for a good while. But if he isn't given one and even two more years so he can be accountable for performance of his recruits, I'm not sure how anxious any future applicants will be to take the job here. It's the reverse Ollie, who needs the same protection PP is getting. I'm inclined to think that if GDL is retained in the same role and the O is as lousy again, then the 4th year for PP becomes far less acceptable. And if the O can't produce more points, what stands to be a D with a lot of unknowns will have even more pressure on it.

Reaction Score
At Syracuse PP & GDL didn't exactly leave (fired) together. PP was forced to fire GDL in order to keep his job at least another year. GDL was fired, SU went 6-6, but a new AD, Gross, fired PP that following year.
History could repeat itself here. GDL could be either fired, or forced to relinquish his OC position. A 6-6 season , next year, probably will get PP fired from our relatively new AD, Manuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom