Duffy-Calhoun Interview | The Boneyard

Duffy-Calhoun Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://blog.ctnews.com/uconnbasketball/2013/01/04/notesquotes-with-jim-calhoun/

Just a preview of a story that will run in a couple days but i wanted to point out this quote from JC "ive been trying for years to put students in the lower level like Michigan State does".

Ive seen a lot of people on here with that same idea. I agree and obviously something should be done about the people who buy the tickets but dont show up to the games.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so this is how bad things are. JC can't get ppl in the dam ath dept to listen to his ideas so he has to talk about them thru a public forum and in his case a beat writer. there u have it once again folks. house needs to be cleaned in storrs. its silly if u think differently.

Reaction Score
Hearing this will be an interesting interview

C

Chief00

Hearing this will be an interesting interview
I think Calhoun can give up his press table seat and sit in the second section. Have you seen the student section at the XL Center? - not much different in terms of emptiness than the rest. Its funny how the University never looks at themselves but it is always the fans fault. Most people who buy seats in the lower level have given over $70k to the University - those between the 20 yd lines (if it was a football field) have given over $100k based on the rules that have been in place for many years - now you are telling those people to sit in the nose bleed seats - many would stop buying their tickets and stop donating.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Most people who buy seats in the lower level have given over $70k to the University - those between the 20 yd lines (if it was a football field) have given over $100k based on the rules that have been in place for many years - now you are telling those people to sit in the nose bleed seats - many would stop buying their tickets and stop donating.

Those would be very petty people. In this instance, having that level of entitlement shows a flawed and selfish character. This isn't the pros! The priority in all university sponsored events should be the students, no exceptions, and no amount of money should ever change that.

I would venture a guess that the slobs from the lower bowl (who, btw, only show up half the time anyway) would have a far better time at these events with the extra energy the students would inject into the building being closer to the action. Energy equals excitement. The athletic department should give it a try sometime. If it doesn't work, they can always go back to doing it the old, stodgy, enabling-to-the-elite-crowd way.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, this class warfare stuff always seems to work. There are a lot of shoulders out there with chips on them - especially in an economy that's been tough on everyone. I too want more students at the game - as a student I often had the nose bleed seats for years and worked my way gradually toward better seats.

Part of the problem has been students now do in fact get the better seats - then they graduate - and don't have access to the better seats - so with their sense of unearned entitlement they don't go after graduation. In fact, now they don't fill the good seats they do have - so Calhoun's solution from warm Florida about the fans who did not travel to the XL in 10 inches of snow is ridiculous. Remember this is the guy who would not give up a dime of his check back - and he is now telling folks who gave $100k playing by the rules to be forced out of their seats and sit in the bleeds. I actually like Calhoun a lot and think he is a good man - but do you see him coming to every game and sitting in the upper tier. If he really believes in what he says he should trade his seat with some student.

An example, of just very poor management is coming up - we are playing DePaul in Storrs during Winter recess. The XL would be closer to most students. For loyal fans it is a journey on a Tuesday night to Storrs - getting home late and up to work the next day. Let's start looking at these no brainer improvement that should be low hanging fruit to anyone who is not a totally inept manager.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Really excited to hear this interview. Duffy does a great job and I'm sure JC will be candid about all of the topics

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
so this is how bad things are. JC can't get ppl in the dam ath dept to listen to his ideas so he has to talk about them thru a public forum and in his case a beat writer. there u have it once again folks. house needs to be cleaned in storrs. its silly if u think differently.

Larry/Susan should allow Jim Calhoun to hand pick a puppet to succeed Warde as AD. JC becomes Barry Alvarez, just unofficially. He'd hire an "AD" to administer the day-to-day details. JC would pull the strings behind the curtain.

Then once the B1G invite is secured, JC can truly ride off into sunset whenever he wants.

I get that this won't happen, but I'd rather dream then dwell on our current nightmare...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom