Drummond summary in NJ Ledger says... | The Boneyard

Drummond summary in NJ Ledger says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I don't get the "character concerns" comment either. The reality is that he's almost too nice a kid. If I were drafting him, I'd be concerned about his inner fire not his character. Maybe that's what the writer meant but didn't express it properly.

C

Chief00

Indeed, the character issue is he is viewed by some as too nice at times.........I think you can fine the needed mean streak if the right buttons are pushed.

Given his position in the draft you can't fault AD for leaving, however a recent video at the NBA Combine at Draft Express has Andre saying it was a very close call regarding leaving school. My guess is the NCAA Post Season ban was the deciding factor. Great job Mark Emmert at chasing kids out of school, especially a kid that wanted to be there. Only after a family meeting was that decision made. To me the ideal decision would have been one more year of school and perhaps being the #1 pick.
In that same interview AD confirmed reports that it was difficult for Boatright and him to get incorporated into the team. He also mentioned Coach and Boatshow being out as being disruptive to the team's progress.

Reaction Score
I wrote to the editor indicating Orr need to mollify his 'character concerns' description.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Most media outlets are ongoing demonstrations that paying someone $28k a year and expecting competence are mutually exclusive actions.

Reaction Score
If by character you mean nice guy, sure Andre is by all accounts a nice guy. But character is also defined by desire and hunger something AD hasn't shown with consistency. In the last two minutes of a tight game who do you think is going to grab those "either way" rebounds; a guy like Thomas Robinson or Andre Drummond?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If by character you mean nice guy, sure Andre is by all accounts a nice guy. But character is also defined by desire and hunger something AD hasn't shown with consistency. In the last two minutes of a tight game who do you think is going to grab those "either way" rebounds; a guy like Thomas Robinson or Andre Drummond?

In my memory, Andre was much, much better in the latter part of games. Having said that, Andre's success or failure in the NBA will ultimately come down to his ability to embrace aggression and the desire to be the best.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Very poor choice of words. You could say he is immature, but not from the perspective of demonstrating poor judgment...more like immature because he is still a kid (wearing Gumby suit etc)...I think they lose sight that he is really just out of high school...he may not contribute much next year but five years from now, he will still be 23 years old & probably will be a dominant big man in both ends.

Looking further down the article, he cites character concerns for Fab Melo (which is clearly true in his case)...demonstrates that the author is clueless about AD.

caw

Reaction Score

Right now? Robinson. Of course you could ask who is more likely to get a defensive stop/block and that wouldn't be Robinson.

The question is, who will be a better player 3-4 years from now for many of the teams drafting that high.

Bobcats, Cavs, Kings, Blazers and Warriors are all more than one player away from being playoff teams. (I left off the Wizards, as after their last trade they are in dire need of a SF/SG rather than a PF/C).

Reaction Score
Right now? Robinson. Of course you could ask who is more likely to get a defensive stop/block and that wouldn't be Robinson.

The question is, who will be a better player 3-4 years from now for many of the teams drafting that high.

Drummond barely improved the last 3 years of high school (when he was a little kid), so what makes you think he will improve now? The character question is strictly about heart. If there's a rebound for the taking do you honestly think Andre is taking it down over Robinson, Sullinger, Zeller, Henson, P Jones, or T Jones? Really? HELL NO. Those guys want it more than him.

I'm an optimistic fan and I root hard for every UConn alum, but I can't see AD being good. He flat out hasn't improved since he was 15 because he doesn't want it bad enough. We are on a message board and this is just my amateur opinion. If i'm an NBA scout I am passing on AD. He really really needed another year of college

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
They probably meant his on-the-court character, which we all know is indeed questionable. Quit over-reacting.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is nothing questionable about any part of the kid's character.

I wouldn't say the same for any of you.

Reaction Score
There is nothing questionable about any part of the kid's character.

I wouldn't say the same for any of you.
What about me (so what, I get drunk during the week-which you got a kick out of)?:D

Reaction Score
He flat out hasn't improved since he was 15 because he doesn't want it bad enough......If I'm an NBA scout I am passing on AD. He really needed another year of college
If he doesn't want it bad enough, then I don't think another year of college will make a difference. I think AD has it in him, but he is young and seems to have many interests and seems to be enjoying the life of a young man with special circumstances(sports celebrity). He is so physically gifted, that things come easy to him. I think he just needs to decide what is most important. Hopefully, it's basketball since he is making the jump to being a professional. I think he will figure it out.

Reaction Score
He'll be drafted plenty high, not really worried about Andre being selected in the top 10. If he goes anywhere from 6 to 10 then he can spend his career making the teams who pick from 2-5 look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom