Drummond among 19 players invited to training camp for U.S. FIBA team | The Boneyard

Drummond among 19 players invited to training camp for U.S. FIBA team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The 12 man roster will be announced in late August. Here is the full list of invitees: Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Demar Derozan, Chandler Parsons, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffin, Paul George, Damian Lillard, Gordon Hayward, DeMarcus Cousins, Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, Kenneth Faried, and Kyle Kover.

My initial impression is that Drummond has a good shot to make the team given he's really one of the true pure centers on that list. If that was the case, I can't think of anything better for his development then to play under Coach K against great international competition. The last team back in 2010 was full of guys who made big time jumps the following year and really seemed to benefit - Westbrook, Rose, Durant, Eric Gordon, and Curry were just a few that saw their production take off and I think Drummond could do the same.

I'm guessing they'll ultimately narrow down the roster to something like this:

PG - Curry, Lillard, Irving
SG - Harden, Beal
SF - George, Parsons
PF - Griffin, Love
C - Davis, Cousins, Drummond

Reaction Score
Durant is missing from your team...winning the whole thing is going to be a challenge with the US sending the B team and Spain reportedly bringing their Olympic roster and it being on their home turf.

Reaction Score
Durant is missing from your team...winning the whole thing is going to be a challenge with the US sending the B team and Spain reportedly bringing their Olympic roster and it being on their home turf.

Not sure how Durant slipped my mind, he's obviously a lock to make the team. On a related note, what you say about the U.S. sending the B team is true, but have we ever sent our A team to these sort of events?

Reaction Score
Now that I think of it, Rose probably makes this team, too. And seeing as Irving went to Duke, one of Curry/Lillard will have to be sent home.

Reaction Score
Not sure how Durant slipped my mind, he's obviously a lock to make the team. On a related note, what you say about the U.S. sending the B team is true, but have we ever sent our A team to these sort of events?

It has usually been the B team, the last elite squad we sent to the World Championships was in 2006 when Colangelo took over and the core of the 2008 Olympic squad first formed together and they finished 3rd. Only thing that makes this a bit different is that Spain is supposed to be have all of their horses and those Gold medal games in 08 & 12 were already tight games with our A team.

Reaction Score
Now that I think of it, Rose probably makes this team, too. And seeing as Irving went to Duke, one of Curry/Lillard will have to be sent home.

Curry gotta be on it with his shooting, and imo Wall should be in the camp. I know his shooting is suspect but given how good he is at table setting for shooters(see Ariza eating from the 3 point line this year off of Wall kickouts), I would honestly put him on here over Rose or Lillard. Its hard not to imagine Rose being rusty given how little he's played in actual games the past two years.

Reaction Score
It has usually been the B team, the last elite squad we sent to the World Championships was in 2006 when Colangelo took over and the core of the 2008 Olympic squad first formed together and they finished 3rd. Only thing that makes this a bit different is that Spain is supposed to be have all of their horses and those Gold medal games in 08 & 12 were already tight games with our A team.

Yeah, it seemed like in 2010 when we sent our B team and won gold a lot of other countries were missing key players as well. I do think this current U.S. team is pretty loaded despite missing LeBron, Westbrook, 'Melo, and CP3, so if it turns out to be Spain-U.S. for the gold that will be quite the game.

Curry gotta be on it with his shooting, and imo Wall should be in the camp. I know his shooting is suspect but given how good he is at table setting for shooters(see Ariza eating from the 3 point line this year off of Wall kickouts), I would honestly put him on here over Rose or Lillard. Its hard not to imagine Rose being rusty given how little he's played in actual games the past two years.

Wall and Curry would be locks for me and then a toss-up between Lillard and Irving for the other spot, but that doesn't appear to be the thinking here. We lack that open-court element without Wall, and although Wall might not be a great defender, I'm not sure how viable an Irving/Harden back court is defensively. Rose will definitely be rusty, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get the nod for publicity reasons.

Reaction Score
Rose killed in the last fiba games. that front of Davis and Griffin though... I don't see anybody matching up with that. both can shoot international threes easily. KD on that team makes them unbeatable .

Reaction Score
Spain has the Gasol brothers, Ibaka , Jose Calderon, Ricky Rubio and others so no done deal for team USA. Best team wins not best talent.(SA Spurs) Doesn't hurt either when Spain has homecourt advantage.

Reaction Score
Spain has the Gasol brothers, Ibaka , Jose Calderon, Ricky Rubio and others so no done deal for team USA. Best team wins not best talent.(SA Spurs) Doesn't hurt either when Spain has homecourt advantage.

Who was more talented than the Spurs?

Reaction Score
Rose killed in the last fiba games. that front of Davis and Griffin though... I don't see anybody matching up with that. both can shoot international threes easily. KD on that team makes them unbeatable .

Nah man, Westbrook was way more effective than him in 2010, Rose honestly looked overwhelmed at times.

Reaction Score
The 12 man roster will be announced in late August. Here is the full list of invitees: Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Demar Derozan, Chandler Parsons, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Kyrie Irving, Blake Griffin, Paul George, Damian Lillard, Gordon Hayward, DeMarcus Cousins, Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, Kenneth Faried, and Kyle Kover.

My initial impression is that Drummond has a good shot to make the team given he's really one of the true pure centers on that list. If that was the case, I can't think of anything better for his development then to play under Coach K against great international competition. The last team back in 2010 was full of guys who made big time jumps the following year and really seemed to benefit - Westbrook, Rose, Durant, Eric Gordon, and Curry were just a few that saw their production take off and I think Drummond could do the same.

I'm guessing they'll ultimately narrow down the roster to something like this:

PG - Curry, Lillard, Irving
SG - Harden, Beal
SF - George, Parsons
PF - Griffin, Love
C - Davis, Cousins, Drummond
Although the guy's got natural talent coming out of his ears, I still cant see K taking Cousins. Pretty surprised he even got an invite.

Reaction Score
Nah man, Westbrook was way more effective than him in 2010, Rose honestly looked overwhelmed at times.
I meant more so in the spain matchup, rose was pretty fun to watch. wont argue westbrook was more effective, westbrook isn't playing though.

Reaction Score
Who was more talented than the Spurs?
Heat have the best player in the game and the supposedly Big 3 ,OKC has 3 top 20 players in the league ....my point is team ball and team chemistry win not collection of talent. Don't wont to go off topic with thread. And yes Spurs have talented roster top to bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom