Dreaded ACL | The Boneyard

Dreaded ACL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Minnesota guard Rachel Banham tore her ACL and is out for season. Hate it for this kid. I watched her in the Gulf Coast showcase.

Jordin Canada left game last night with a back injury and did not return. Hope she is well

Reaction Score
Dude - don't you know that OLD people read this board? Your thread title may be scaring some to death right now :eek:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Some positive news, Cal sophomore Courtney Range, who injured her knee in Sundays loss at Kansas, only has a sprained knee. Not sure how long she will be out but much better than what it could have been.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
ochoopsfan said:
Some positive news, Cal sophomore Courtney Range, who injured her knee in Sundays loss at Kansas, only has a sprained knee. Not sure how long she will be out but much better than what it could have been.

That's good news.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Will she be eligible for a redshirt? Because she's a senior. Hate to see her college career end like that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Banham is a legit star playing a bit out of the spotlight. Real shame.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Will she be eligible for a redshirt? Because she's a senior. Hate to see her college career end like that.
She's played in 10 games this year and was leading the team at 18.6 ppg. Guessing the college career has to be over.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
She's played in 10 games this year and was leading the team at 18.6 ppg. Guessing the college career has to be over.
While she may not come back, she very well may be eligible to red-shirt. Minnesota has 30 scheduled games this year (they were in the Gulf Coast Showcase) and the B1G tourney counts as one game so she appeared in less than 1/3. Thanks to Beknighted on the RU board for the info.

But, as I say, would she want to come back or move on? No idea.

Reaction Score
I saw on another site that Tori McCoy's season is over due to ACL injury :(

Reaction Score
R. Badham is one of my favorite WCBB players! I feel so bad for her, senior year and everything!
Knight you are so right, a gold nugget buried in MN! Hopefully she'll be able to have a great pro career.

Reaction Score
While she may not come back, she very well may be eligible to red-shirt. Minnesota has 30 scheduled games this year (they were in the Gulf Coast Showcase) and the B1G tourney counts as one game so she appeared in less than 1/3. Thanks to Beknighted on the RU board for the info.

Actually the rule is not 1/3, it is 30%. Her team has 31 games for purposes of the formula. Take 30% of that and you get 9.3 games. Then round up, per the rule, and you have 10 - which is the max she could play and still be eligible for a hardship waiver. So she just makes it.

Reaction Score
Medical science needs to find out why these injuries still happen.........Praying for a speedy recovery........

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Medical science needs to find out why these injuries still happen....Praying for a speedy recovery...

I read an article some months back in which the researchers believed that the higher rate of ACL injuries among women athletes is due to the differences in the actual composition of a woman's knee joint. I'd agree that sports/medical science needs to develop a lightweight but strong brace that would assist strength without impeding movement. If available, such a device would eventually become as standard a piece of equipment as the batter's and pitcher's mask is now becoming in softball after way too many head injuries.

Reaction Score
I read an article some months back in which the researchers believed that the higher rate of ACL injuries among women athletes is due to the differences in the actual composition of a woman's knee joint. I'd agree that sports/medical science needs to develop a lightweight but strong brace that would assist strength without impeding movement. If available, such a device would eventually become as standard a piece of equipment as the batter's and pitcher's mask is now becoming in softball after way too many head injuries.

Two issues:

1. There appear to be multiple reasons for women's ACL injuries. One is likely the way the knee is put together (specifically the gap in the intercondylar notch), but there are many others that may also contribute.

2. Most women's ACL injuries are non-contact and a brace doesn't help prevent most of those, i.e. the ones that occur when a player plants a leg to cut or to jump - or on a jump stop.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Thanks, Stamford. I recall mention of your first point. But I am not so positive about your second. My experience is very limited, but those knee injuries I've seen all involved contact. So, you may still be correct anyway.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Stamford. I recall mention of your first point. But I am not so positive about your second. My experience is very limited, but those knee injuries I've seen all involved contact. So, you may still be correct anyway.

Depending on the study, it appears that 60-90% of female ACL injuries in sports such as soccer or basketball are non-contact. One big study was the one done by Agel and Arendt in 2005 that looked at a pool of NCAA data from 1990-2002. Based on 514 ACL tears to basketball players, 75% were non-contact.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Amazing. And it makes me wonder then, how many of the injuries involved game competition as opposed to practice?

It just dawned on me that as a broadcaster, those injuries I did see were in a game context. But as I think more about it, I wasn't around the practices near as much. And we know that ACL injuries do occur during practices.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've personally witnessed 14 torn ACL's at games I've been at - and 12 were non-contact. Thinking back to some of the UConn ACL's:

- Mel Thomas: non-contact
- Caroline Doty: 2nd non-contact, 3rd non-contact (1st - H.S. soccer: contact)
- Shea Ralph: non-contact
- Jess Moore: contact??
- Briana Banks: contact but not on the leg where the ACL tore
- Sue Bird: non-contact

Gabby Williams' first one was reportedly non-contact as well. Not sure about the second one - which was a partial tear.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Maybe this explains, at least partially, why so little progress appears to have been made in prevention of these injuries. What can be done? I have no useful idea.

Reaction Score
Just anecdotal evidence here- my sister blew her ACL & MCL while going up for a spike during a pick up volleyball game. Nobody touched her but she knew the minute her foot touched the floor that her knee was blown.

Reaction Score
Two issues:

1. There appear to be multiple reasons for women's ACL injuries. One is likely the way the knee is put together (specifically the gap in the intercondylar notch), but there are many others that may also contribute.

2. Most women's ACL injuries are non-contact and a brace doesn't help prevent most of those, i.e. the ones that occur when a player plants a leg to cut or to jump - or on a jump stop.
Yeah, I saw the game in which Becky Hammon tore her ACL last season and she did it when she was on the baseline getting ready to drive around another player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom