DraftExpress: Top NBA Prospects In The AAC | The Boneyard

DraftExpress: Top NBA Prospects In The AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They are not big fans of Bazz. Michael Dixon as a better prospect than Bazz? Don't see that at all.

Reaction Score
How is a pg with a 6'4 wingspan at a disadvantage physically? Welp. The two best pgs in the league are 6'2 and 6'1. He does need to finish in the paint better though , with that he should be picked in the 20s

Reaction Score
How is a pg with a 6'4 wingspan at a disadvantage physically? Welp. The two best pgs in the league are 6'2 and 6'1. He does need to finish in the paint better though , with that he should be picked in the 20s

Come on, you're seriously oversimplifying this. It has to do with athleticism, not size. I like the guy as much as the next UConn fan and I think he's a heck of a college player, but I think his athletic limitations will be much more evident at the next level. He reminds me a bit of AJ Price in that sense.

Reaction Score
Sure he has limitations but ur not drafting him to be a star or even a starter. I think Bazz could be a very good backup PG for a team. These sites that him going undrafted are crazy. Even guys picked in the late first usually aren't starters.

Reaction Score
Sure he has limitations but ur not drafting him to be a star or even a starter. I think Bazz could be a very good backup PG for a team. These sites that him going undrafted are crazy. Even guys picked in the late first usually aren't starters.

He's going to get drafted so with that I agree. I was commenting more on the indignation of the poster about him having "physical limitations". I see him being a solid backup but one that could end up kicking around quite a bit as teams look to develop a more athletic PG with higher upside as a backup. I really like the guy but it's tough being a physically limited PG in today's NBA.

Reaction Score
I don't really see poor athletcism, maybe you and I disagree. There are a slough of pgs in the league that aren't jump out the gym athletes, and it's not like I'm saying he's a lotto pick.
He's got lots of talent and a defined skillset. well just bump this when he's eating in workouts.

Reaction Score
I don't really see poor athletcism, maybe you and I disagree. There are a slough of pgs in the league that aren't jump out the gym athletes, and it's not like I'm saying he's a lotto pick.
He's got lots of talent and a defined skillset. well just bump this when he's eating in workouts.

I never said poor athleticism, but on the range of solid NBA PGs, his athleticism is definitely closer to the bottom than the top. I think he will end up with a pretty solid career in the NBA even if it makes more than a couple of stops, but let's be honest with ourselves, he definitely is at a disadvantage physically when it comes to the NBA. He's not exactly the quickest guy out on the court.

Reaction Score

I'm as much of a Bazz fan as the next guy and hope he finds his way to the league one way or the other. But he simply doesn't have NBA athleticism. You just don't find many below the rim guys in the league. The ones that you do find, have something special going on.

With that said, Bazz has legit NBA range on his 3 ball and gets it off quickly. Although he's not fast end-to-end, he's got a sneaky quick first step or two and a knack for creating space. It's just hard for sub-6 footers (or even legit 6-0 or 6-1) to get their shots off against the bigger, stronger and more athletic NBA guards. Just look at how ripped most of them are. Bazz does not have a muscular body type, but neither did Steve Nash, and he won an MVP or two.

Another concern, that I'm not sure is as big as it was a few years ago, is how well a player can defend his position. Now that teams are allowed to use zone schemes, it's a little easier to make up for a player who's not a good defender. Although Bazz is not the fastest, nor strongest kid, he does have quick hands and good instincts, that might dispel this concern for some NBA GMs and scouts.

If there is one thing that Bazz can do to improve his stock is to improve his table-setting game. If NBA GMs can come away with being impressed with Bazz's lead guard skills this upcoming season, and he keeps up his shot-making abilities, his stock will rise. Stats don't always tell the story since a guards assist numbers are only as good as his teammates ability to finish.

IMO, Bazz probably is in the best situation as far as having multiple scoring weapons around him than he has during all his 4 years at UConn. Granted, picking up cheap assists to bigs who can post up and score inside might still be a challenge, but we do have a few bigs who can catch and knock down jumpers from the elbow in. Tyler was good with that in spurts. I remember seeing Nolan knocking down J after J last year in practice and in the layup line, and I think he hit a couple during games last year. I've been hearing he and Facey can both knock down Js, and hopefully between these 3 and Brimah, they can catch a ball or two in the post and dink and dunk some in off of some feeds from Bazz. But where I think he'll pick up a lot of his assists this year will be dishing it to our skilled perimeter players who will knock down Js and attack the paint. Boatright, Daniels and Giffey can score from just about anywhere. Calhoun and Tolksdorf are good catch and shoot scorer. I don't know much about Kromah but he looks like a physical combo player who can probably cut to the basket, catch, attack and finish.

It's always hard for a UConn guard to be near the top in assists nationally when they have that multi-guard capability, but i think Bazz will have the ball in his hands more than enough to improve that assist/game number, but more importantly pass the eye test if he gets enough NBA looks over the season. I expect his NBA draft stock to rise as the season goes on and I hope it's enough to earn him a spot somewhere in the middle of the second half of the first round if there are some teams that have a need at the PG position. I think worst case scenario, he get drafted in the 2nd round, unless he struggles again with injuries. I can't remember for sure, but I think at least 2 of the 3 seasons, he's been here, he's found his way into a walking boot, something that the NBA gets real concerned about. Durability is huge when it come to getting drafted and making a team. Players who can't stay healthy don't last very long, unless they're uber-talented. Let's hope Bazz's foot problems are behind him.

Reaction Score
It's true scouts need to see him run a team better, but I think that's about it. He's wildly efficient in the half court and is an underrated passer. Defensively he's beyond solid and rebounds at a nice clip. Look I'm not the only one who is a fan , check out those cp3 & bron camp write ups. Cj McCollum, even trey burke aren't 'elite nba athletes', both were lotto picks. A big year from bazz bolsters him into late first round

Reaction Score
It's true scouts need to see him run a team better, but I think that's about it. He's wildly efficient in the half court and is an underrated passer. Defensively he's beyond solid and rebounds at a nice clip. Look I'm not the only one who is a fan , check out those cp3 & bron camp write ups. Cj McCollum, even trey burke aren't 'elite nba athletes', both were lotto picks. A big year from bazz bolsters him into late first round

They may not be elite nba athletes, but they're both at least above average for NBA PGs whereas Shabazz is definitely below average, both are bigger than Bazz, both came out in a much weaker draft, I can keep going. I think with a great year he could potentially go in the late first, but what I've been disagreeing with you about is that he doesn't have physical limitations that will work against him. Even with a good year, I still think the chances are he goes in the early to mid 2nd round but that doesn't mean he can't turn that into a perfectly respectable NBA career.

caw

Reaction Score
They may not be elite nba athletes, but they're both at least above average for NBA PGs whereas Shabazz is definitely below average, both are bigger than Bazz, both came out in a much weaker draft, I can keep going. I think with a great year he could potentially go in the late first, but what I've been disagreeing with you about is that he doesn't have physical limitations that will work against him. Even with a good year, I still think the chances are he goes in the early to mid 2nd round but that doesn't mean he can't turn that into a perfectly respectable NBA career.

I don't think Trey Butke is much bigger. Def. not taller at least. Defense will be his issue, though he has shown he can be a fantastic defender when not tasked with running the team for 40 minutes. Napier also has plenty of quickness, he does lack the explosiveness and end to end speed that guys like Kemba and Siva have.

Reaction Score
Have these guys seen anyone play this year? Someone used to say that the best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores. Pretty ridiculous to start rating guys until you've seen who's improved, grown, matured, etc. Give the new season a few months, please.

Reaction Score
McCollum is a better athlete than you think jumped 37 or 38 inches at the combine. But there are plenty of successful PG's who aren't the Derrick Rose type athlete. Scrolling through a list of PG's no reason why Bazz cant stick in the league. Checks out above average everywhere except size and athleticism and is not like hes super small or super unathletic, just slightly below average.

Reaction Score
Bazz is aiming to be exactly the type of high-skill, high confidence, underrated baller that the smart teams pick up late in the first round.

At the very least, Shabazz will be a change-of-pace backup PG. Athleticism is really overrated at the PG position. Its a luxury. Skill and playmaking ability are what separate. Shabazz is very quick/sudden, he's just not a leaper. With all of the picks PGs get in the modern NBA game, you really don't have to be able to purely play 1:1 ball too often unless you are a wing on Iso.

Pros:

1. Knock Down shooter
2. Crafty Pick/n/Roll player
3. High bb IQ
4. Clutch/Confidence

Negs:

1. Size
2. Injuries

Honestly of all the Pros/Cons the biggest is his fairly extensive foot injury history.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
DD is so underrated

Reaction Score
If DD plays like he did at the end of last season, he will be among the 10 best players in the nation.

I think he has the tools to dominate DII Southern CT on Wednesday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agree with the comments on Bazz. Should make a decent backup PG in the NBA. Will be drafted if he plays like last year or better, but whether late first or 2nd isn't obvious.

I think DD should be rated higher. I think we will find out that he's got everything Russ Smith has, plus inches, if he ever puts it together. Yes, he has a slight build, so does Kevin Durant. At the 3 that won't hurt him nearly as much (although Lebron would just dominate him, or even a guy as strong as Paul Pierce).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom