Doris Skewers Shaunslug | The Boneyard

Doris Skewers Shaunslug

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Doris Burke, god love her, fired back at Shaunslug during the game:

“I’m gonna give you my take on it. The idea that Connecticut is hurting the game is absolutely absurd because, make no mistake about it, if Connecticut were not dominating the sport, there is so little enthusiasm and coverage outside of people who are passionate about the game, so the only way that the casual fan can be drawn in is by excellence and sustained excellence.

“Because what Connecticut is doing is hard. Do they make it look easy? Yes. But this is hard. And we should appreciate sustained excellence. Because these kids are coached. They’re coached hard. It’s not always pleasant. Rebecca Lobo will tell you. (UConn forward) Breanna Stewart has been brought to tears. They respond.

“And I wish this, for more women: I wish more women were exposed to his coaching because, you know what? As a player, I want to maximize my abilities. And that’s what Geno Auriemma does.”

ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/doris-burke-fired-back-at-boston-columnists-criticism-of-uconn-womens-basketball

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dan Patrick Show question of the day asks whether UConn's dominance increases or diminishes the audience. Currently vote 53% for increase. Patrick himself says he watched the UConn game last night. He also debunked Shauslug's premise, pointing out, for example, that Mike Tyson beating the head off one palooka after another produced greater and greater audience numbers. "Breanna Stewart is that good. They are that good." Four national championships four MOPs, that just doesn't happen. Women's college basketball has evolved greatly, greatly from what it was." (last 4 quotes little jumbled in order)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's see: Take Walton and Durant opinions or Shaunslug's?

"You know, I think more people should watch women's basketball. It'd do so much for the game." Kevin Durant

Read more at:www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/k/kevinduran550747.html

"Breanna Stewart is the real deal. She's something we've never seen before." KD

espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/preview2014/story/_/id/11826302/is-uconn-breanna-stewart-kevin-durant-women-hoops-espn-magazine

“It’s not Connecticut’s or coach Geno’s fault. They have built a remarkable program there. It’s fun, it’s productive, it’s successful.”

http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/apr/03/former-ucla-star-walton-a-big-uconn-fan/?print

Reaction Score

“I’m gonna give you my take on it. The idea that Connecticut is hurting the game is absolutely absurd because, make no mistake about it, if Connecticut were not dominating the sport, there is so little enthusiasm and coverage outside of people who are passionate about the game, so the only way that the casual fan can be drawn in is by excellence and sustained excellence.

“Because what Connecticut is doing is hard. Do they make it look easy? Yes. But this is hard. And we should appreciate sustained excellence. Because these kids are coached. They’re coached hard. It’s not always pleasant. Rebecca Lobo will tell you. (UConn forward) Breanna Stewart has been brought to tears. They respond.

“And I wish this, for more women: I wish more women were exposed to his coaching because, you know what? As a player, I want to maximize my abilities. And that’s what Geno Auriemma does.”

ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/doris-burke-fired-back-at-boston-columnists-criticism-of-uconn-womens-basketball
This only one of the reasons that I love Doris Burke. She is knows the game inside and out (having been a star player herself at Providnce), brings humor and insight to the broadcast booth and is not afraid to tell it like it is. I'm also a little biased because I had a chance to chat with her at a tournament last year and I can only say that she was warm and graceful. And good for her for firing back!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have a hard time listening to DB on the broadcasts, but every once in a while she really nails an issue - this is one of those times, in spades!

Reaction Score
This only one of the reasons that I love Doris Burke. She is knows the game inside and out (having been a star player herself at Providnce), brings humor and insight to the broadcast booth and is not afraid to tell it like it is. I'm also a little biased because I had a chance to chat with her at a tournament last year and I can only say that she was warm and graceful. And good for her for firing back!

Dougie, you're right on about Doris. She's one of the best I have had a chance to hear.
I know some on the board don't like her, but by their posts I have a sneaky suspicion that its because they like to think they know more than she does. Or possibly because they feel they are demonstrating to us a higher level of sophistication by their criticism. I know some would-be wine connoisseurs of the same ilk.

Reaction Score
Dan Patrick Show question of the day asks whether UConn's dominance increases or diminishes the audience. Currently vote 53% for increase. Patrick himself says he watched the UConn game last night. He also debunked Shauslug's premise, pointing out, for example, that Mike Tyson beating the head off one palooka after another produced greater and greater audience numbers. "Breanna Stewart is that good. They are that good." Four national championships four MOPs, that just doesn't happen. Women's college basketball has evolved greatly, greatly from what it was." (last 4 quotes little jumbled in order)
This is not a question you vote on. The data is out there. Attendance goes up, viewers increase, etc. when UCONN is playing.

Reaction Score
Dougie, you're right on about Doris. She's one of the best I have had a chance to hear.
I know some on the board don't like her, but by their posts I have a sneaky suspicion that its because they like to think they know more than she does. Or possibly because they feel they are demonstrating to us a higher level of sophistication by their criticism. I know some would-be wine connoisseurs of the same ilk.
Well said. In the final analysis though, it could be that in a Pavlovian sense, I just associate her with so many happy UCONN moments.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How many people even knew that women's UFC existed before Rhonda Rousey's gaudy [then] 12-0 record became known? She drew an awful lot of eyeballs for a sport that's the nichey-est of niche sports. She was knocking opponents out only seconds into the match yet people couldn't wait to watch to see if someone could beat her. Did anyone comlain about Rousey ruining the sport?

Reaction Score
They only attack the Uconn Women because they couldn't hold a candle to even the last bench player... some people just can't handle strong, determined, athletic, gifted successful women... That's a shame...

HGN

Reaction Score

Rocky , I do remember hearing Burke give those thoughts..........And she was dead on. I generally don't like her , but she was dead on last night. And I wish recruits would listen to the part .........." I wish more women were exposed to his coaching , because ..........as a player , I want to maximize my abilities". A great promo from a voice they may all know and be familiar with.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is not a question you vote on. The data is out there. Attendance goes up, viewers increase, etc. when UCONN is playing.

Right and per ESPN viewership was up 46% through the first 2 rounds.

Reaction Score
A reporter/columnist makes a dismissive, uninformed, disrespectful comment.
One of the responses on this board: make a joke about his surname.
SMH

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
SMH

You know what they say about opinions

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
SMH

A reporter, supposedly, who admits he doesn't watch/ follow women's college basketball.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
SMH

Yes. The way to respond to a shallow and ill-considered opinion is not with a personal snipe. He may well deserve it, but that's not my point.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
We've all fallen into the Dan Shaugnessy trap. He's not a great writer and never has been he's just a hack from Boston who's cultivated a following by lamenting long-suffering Red Sox Fans. Then the unthinkable happened and his whole schtick is now completely irrelevant, what's he do? He makes some contentious statements and riles people up, what are people talking about now, not the fantastic Women's NCAA Tournament that we have this year, not the three first-time FF participants and how wonderful an experience for those teams and universities, we aren't talking about Alexis Peterson, Brianna Butler, the Syracuse Zone, Sydney Weise, Jamie Wiesner, Ruth Hamblin, Scott Roueck, Kelsey Plum, Talia Walton Chantal Osahore, or any of the things we should be talking about at this time of year. We're talking about Dan '' Shaugnessy, a guy who covers MLB, how is that right? He does this often, don't feed the trolls.

Reaction Score

Let's not do this. I won't bite the bait.

I love what Doris said here. Love it! Love it!!

I think we agree that she is right on here. I love what she said!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom