Doris Burke is CONTINUING to bother me a lot. | The Boneyard

Doris Burke is CONTINUING to bother me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd love to see Lawson/ Lobo doing the broadcast instead. Doris is persistent in rambling about whatever when we need to know if the play was a foul or turnover, who committed the foul, substitutions, etc. A year after she's gone from the NCAA, Doris continues to gush over what a great player Skylar Diggins (whose former team wasn't even playing) was. At least she spared us her count of Diggins' twitter followers. I'm not sure any of us appreciated her comment that our best player "looks goofy."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
so did I... some just take it as they wish. if she was called "Inspector Stewart" would that offend others, he's goofy too (shrugs)

U

UCONNfan1

I cracked up when she said it - mainly because it something I think of every time I watch her move. Gangly, pigeon toed, and slightly awkward when she moves, yet she comes from seemingly out of nowhere to block shots, and gets to wherever she wants to go faster than whoever is defending her.

She's deceptively athletic. She's not lightning quick like Moriah or Saniya, but her long strides carry her further and faster than most. Kid's got game. And a goofy smile. I think it's charming.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
so did I... some just take it as they wish. if she was called "Inspector Stewart" would that offend others, he's goofy too (shrugs)

I just described her "like Inspector Gadget" in another post. No idea that people would be offended.

And inspector gadget was quite talented too. So that's a plus.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree that at times Doris can get rambling and something significant is going on on the floor and dagnabit she is finishing the thought, but mostly I like the way she handles herself. I particularly liked when UConn was one its first run and she remarked how she would have liked a Duke player in the pregame presser to acknowledge UConn had done them in a few times but come tomorrow we are going to throw everything we have at them. She knows her stuff.

Reaction Score
That is Stewie, her nature is to be fun loving, just as she was in high school. She will never have the persona of a DT, but might end up helping the growth of the game as much. She in her own way will give Geno as many headache's as DT before she leaves UConn. I think Geno likes having stubborn, talented, players who keep him young, by making them understand the best way to get the most out of their ability.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I like Doris Burke for the most part. And I love Kara Lawson. And I like Rebecca much more in the studio analysis than as a game announcer. Rebecca made a lot of really interesting comments and insights last night. And the three of them all dance around it politely, but generally acknowledge that UConn is just better coached & better prepared game in and game out vs most of their opponents. I think Doris has the guts to say what a lot of us think.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Lawson/ Lobo doing the broadcast instead. Doris is persistent in rambling about whatever when we need to know if the play was a foul or turnover, who committed the foul, substitutions, etc. A year after she's gone from the NCAA, Doris continues to gush over what a great player Skylar Diggins (whose former team wasn't even playing) was. At least she spared us her count of Diggins' twitter followers. I'm not sure any of us appreciated her comment that our best player "looks goofy."
I really finally like Rebecca where she is now. I heard a couple of her games last year when she was doing the broadcast and I can't believe how much I hated it. I wanted someone to bodily yank her out of the booth. There's absolutely no comparison to Doris Burkes typical performance and what I heard from Rebecca as a play by play commentator. Doris Burke has my vote every time!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Rebecca's overall tone and demeanor just doesn't lend itself to the booth court side. I agree. And I love her, it is not a slam on her. Her commentary last night IMO was brilliant!

Reaction Score
I agree that at times Doris can get rambling and something significant is going on on the floor and dagnabit she is finishing the thought, but mostly I like the way she handles herself. I particularly liked when UConn was one its first run and she remarked how she would have liked a Duke player in the pregame presser to acknowledge UConn had done them in a few times but come tomorrow we are going to throw everything we have at them. She knows her stuff.
Don't you mean you like the way she 'comports' herself? I'm sorry. I had too!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
If I hear that phrase one more time I will want to "comport" my foot up her ass. Now Kara Lawson is saying it.

Does anyone else remember having a "comportment" grade on their report card?

Yup, my comportment was always low.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If I hear that phrase one more time I will want to "comport" my foot up her ass. Now Kara Lawson is saying it.

Does anyone else remember having a "comportment" grade on their report card?

Yes, indeed. On a scale of 1-4, with 4 meaning you were bad. My earth science teacher in high school once gave me a 5. I never did go with the grain.

Reaction Score
I like Doris Burke for the most part. And I love Kara Lawson. And I like Rebecca much more in the studio analysis than as a game announcer. Rebecca made a lot of really interesting comments and insights last night. And the three of them all dance around it politely, but generally acknowledge that UConn is just better coached & better prepared game in and game out vs most of their opponents. I think Doris has the guts to say what a lot of us think.

Actually, Doris reminds me an awful lot of Tim McCarver - she can be annoying sometimes in her delivery and she can get stuck on a particular point sometimes - last year's tournament game against Kentucky where she kept harping on freedom of movement for example - but at the end of the day, like McCarver she is the most technically savvy analyst out there. There's a reason she's done NBA games and now is hosts the "NBA Countdown" show - she understands the game and is able to pass that understanding down to us better than anyone else. It's not always a great (pleasant?) performance, but I think most of us have come to respect her if not like her.

Kara Lawson has, I think, certainly established herself as the top studio analyst in WCBB - it has taken a while for many of us to embrace her (she was Orange, after all), but she has also been deeply insightful and extremely objective, and I think that if most of us at least respect Doris in her role, we almost all like Kara in hers.

And Rebecca really does seem to be hitting her groove in the studio with Kara - it's early but so far I like her much more up there than down at courtside - she seems much more comfortable dissecting the game than trying to be "ESPN-ish" as she was last year. She had a couple of seemingly simple points in her analysis that really summed up the problems with Duke the other night - the idea about Duke not having a second option in the half court offense for example - that's getting a lot of discussion even on the Duke board.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I couldn't believe she said that. lol

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Yes-she could have used a better choice of words on that one!!!! She could have said awkward or something- that can happen to anyone though. We all say some things that we would like to take back occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom