Don't Hold Your Breath...but | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't Hold Your Breath...but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't that the point BillyBud? To bring back college athletics to the students. if your point were correct and there were an accepted break between colleges and their athletics, it would take one nano-second for the player to seek compensation, thereby destroying the current college model.
you saw how quickly the schools acted at the latest threat of paying players?

When I graduated from high school (1964)...athletes were pretty much scholar-athletes. You could go a whole career at a school like FSU or Southern Miss and not appear on television. Coaches did not make star quality money.

Black athletes were successful at Black institutions like Grambling and Florida A&M...integration has not only changed the face of college football, but has had a real impact upon the former Black powerhouses.

Even when Bobby Bowden came to FSU for the salary of $35,000, the game had not exploded. It took the 1981 law suit against the NCAA to open up football...and then cable and satellite led to where we are.

College football has been in the entertainment industry for 30 years....it is only tangentially related to education.

And to be honest...there is probably an inverse relationship between 40 speed and SAT scores among athletes...athletes are recruited for being fast, being big, being strong...but not particularly for how high their SAT's are.

If you want true scholar athletes...look to Division III.

Reaction Score
I looked at one study...that found over half of certain football squads were "special admits".

"Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, Texas A&M University and Louisiana State University were special admits. . . At Georgia, for instance, 73.5 percent of athletes were special admits compared with 6.6 percent of the student body as a whole."

SAT's of football players (from review of 52 programs) were, on average, 220 points lower than their classmates. And men's basketball, 227 points lower.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Perhaps FSU benefits from being something of a lousy school to start?

There's less to specially admit when you're basically just one big collection of special.

Reaction Score
Actually Fishy...FSU's student SAT's are on a par with UConn...

Reaction Score
But football and basketball players...at almost any Div I school...are not a reflection of the student body as a whole.

And we all know that.

Reaction Score
Actually Fishy...FSU's student SAT's are on a par with UConn...

Aren't you associated with that school that gives PAPER grades to enrolled students taking African Studies? And their Alumni retort ... but Florida State and Auburn do it too? I am not sure anything stated from the aforementioned schools needs to be contrasted to our University. You are simply not doing the mission of education.

Reaction Score
LOL...throwing up straw men to try to call some one idiotic....

The importance of TV money is idiotic to ignore....

Universities are about education...university sports and conference sports are not.....

Ever ponder about why coaches like Fisher, Myer, Strong, Saban make upwards of $5 million a year....and their University Presidents' salary in contrast?

There is a divide between athletics and education..and has been for about 30 years.

Basketball and football players are not recruited to be students and their academic prowess is mostly an afterthought.

The "divide" exists because everyone with the power to stop it (Boards of Trustees, State Legislators and the Federal Government) elects not to. The moment the Federal Government says "we are only guaranteeing student loans for students attending institutions that follow our rules on athletics" universities would throw away TV or other athletic money as quickly as they had to to keep their federal assistance,

So the point is not that TV money is not too large to be ignored. Of course it is. It is that other taxpayer supported revenue streams are so much greater that the moment the government ties them together the government -- and not the market to watch football games -- will then totally and completely drive the bus.

pj

Reaction Score
FSU's TV revenue of ~$20 million is about 2% of its $1 billion annual operating budget. 2% is significant but it doesn't drive the university bus. It does drive the football coach's salary.

On the other hand, it is quite amazing that athletics is approaching 10% of the budget at some of these universities. Considering how inflated the academic and administrative sides are, that's quite an accomplishment.

Reaction Score
And a funny thing is that, at least here in the southland, the vast majority of a program's football fans did not attend the university.

The program fans are more akin to NFL fans...they follow and identify with a university for sports. Academics? Huh?

Even the guy at the little auto shop in Opelika, putting brake pads on the 1970's Olds Vistacruiser, is a huge Auburn fan.

Over half of the season ticket holders at a typical college program did not attend the school.

The universities run an entertainment business on the side for the populace.
I think you'd find that is not uncommon for uconn. a large portion of the fan base (myself included) have no academic ties to the school itself. Where CT no longer has a professional sports franchise (cue Brass Bonanza), Uconn has filled that void for many CT and other close regional areas (Springfield and Worcster MA).

Reaction Score
BBud, I think you are using severe liberties by implying that the P5 is a microcosm of American society. Or at least the capitalist image of America. All but a handful of brands are elite, the rest including the G5 are a clustered mass, distinguished only by the current flavor - who is recently successful, or who has a player worthy of love or hate on the field this year. Whatever sells at the right moment. The P5 can demand a premium from networks For content not because they are necessarily better, but because they have frozen out competition through artificial and arguably illegal means. They have created a cartel. The Schools in the P5 are not Americas best, they are the clique that has managed to surround the handful who ARE the best.

Maybe this is the southern view of the heroic American. I think it is immoral.

Reaction Score
LOL...throwing up straw men to try to call some one idiotic....

The importance of TV money is idiotic to ignore....

Universities are about education...university sports and conference sports are not.....

Ever ponder about why coaches like Fisher, Myer, Strong, Saban make upwards of $5 million a year....and their University Presidents' salary in contrast?

There is a divide between athletics and education..and has been for about 30 years.

Basketball and football players are not recruited to be students and their academic prowess is mostly an afterthought.
There is no question that FSU and Jameis Winston are all about education. I'm glad that they lost.

CONN Ed

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted." GM
Reaction Score
When I graduated from high school (1964)...athletes were pretty much scholar-athletes. You could go a whole career at a school like FSU or Southern Miss and not appear on television. Coaches did not make star quality money.

Black athletes were successful at Black institutions like Grambling and Florida A&M...integration has not only changed the face of college football, but has had a real impact upon the former Black powerhouses.

Even when Bobby Bowden came to FSU for the salary of $35,000, the game had not exploded. It took the 1981 law suit against the NCAA to open up football...and then cable and satellite led to where we are.

College football has been in the entertainment industry for 30 years....it is only tangentially related to education.

And to be honest...there is probably an inverse relationship between 40 speed and SAT scores among athletes...athletes are recruited for being fast, being big, being strong...but not particularly for how high their SAT's are.

If you want true scholar athletes...look to Division III.

"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL. We ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS."

Cardale Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall