Don Brown | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's his record as a HC at the I-A level?

So i guess you think we'd be better off bringing the all time BE wins leader? Oh wait, we have him, I guess he's probably the best candidate if that's what you're looking at. All this time I didn't realize you were such a die hard P supporter

Reaction Score
So i guess you think we'd be better off bringing the all time BE wins leader? Oh wait, we have him, I guess he's probably the best candidate if that's what you're looking at. All this time I didn't realize you were such a die hard P supporter

Seriously? Are you one of those people who make up arguments for people now too?

You might as well move this thread to the Cesspool now.

I just don't think the guy is FBS head coach material.

Reaction Score
You seem to think 1A wins is most important, so if you don't think it is, what was your point in bringing it up? What coach with a lot of 1A wins are you hoping we land? Chip Kelly didn't have any 1A wins before starting Oregon, Mike Leach didn't have any before taking over Texas Tech. My point is that 1A wins is not necessarily the greatest indicator of future success and if that's your main problem with Don Brown, you should come up with something else. IF you think we're going to get the next Urban Meyer that's won as a HC from 1AA to MAC to MWC to BCS to us, then you're more optimistic than any of us has a right to be.

Reaction Score
The next Chip Kelly, is a tough find. The next Brian Kelly may not be.

Reaction Score
I would love to type a nice Carl Spackler response, but I am on a IPad and I really don't care enough about this argument to bother typing more than the rest of this sentence.

You seem to think 1A wins is most important, so if you don't think it is, what was your point in bringing it up? What coach with a lot of 1A wins are you hoping we land? Chip Kelly didn't have any 1A wins before starting Oregon, Mike Leach didn't have any before taking over Texas Tech. My point is that 1A wins is not necessarily the greatest indicator of future success and if that's your main problem with Don Brown, you should come up with something else. IF you think we're going to get the next Urban Meyer that's won as a HC from 1AA to MAC to MWC to BCS to us, then you're more optimistic than any of us has a right to be.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I don't understand how you think you can tell how good a recruiter he is by virtue of how good a job at recruiting defensive players UConn does with him as defensive coordinator.

so how should i judge his recruiting to date then?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The next Chip Kelly, is a tough find. The next Brian Kelly may not be.

It's funny you say that, because I think Brian Kelly is better. I would take Brian Kelly in a New York minute over Chip. The man has literally won everywhere he's been, and he's even magically got Notre Dame back to the top10 in mid-season (they are normally top10 preseason and then don't see it again until preseason the next year)...

...having said that, I think that both are extremely hard to find. Extremely hard. Unless Grand Valley State has another up-and-comer in the making? ;)

pj

Reaction Score
It's funny you say that, because I think Brian Kelly is better. I would take Brian Kelly in a New York minute over Chip. The man has literally won everywhere he's been, and he's even magically got Notre Dame back to the top10 in mid-season (they are normally top10 preseason and then don't see it again until preseason the next year)...

...having said that, I think that both are extremely hard to find. Extremely hard. Unless Grand Valley State has another up-and-comer in the making? ;)

If you create coaching frequencies frequently enough, then your chances of finding him get better. Maybe we should fire our coach every year, instead of waiting two.

Reaction Score
so how should i judge his recruiting to date then?

With all due respect, I don't think you/I/we have any ability whatsoever to judge any individual's recruiting skills. I think we barely have enough information to judge how a head coach and his staff, collectively, recruit, and I think it's fine to give the head coach the credit/blame for that (since it's his staff). But I don't even think you can make educated guesses beyond that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Wasn't Brown the HC at UMASS when they won a national championship at the 1AA level?
Whipple was head coach when they won, Brown was D Coordinator. When Whip left Brown became head coach.

Reaction Score
I posted in another thread but how many NBE coaches would leave their current job to come here. Memphis, is that it? Would coaches from all MAC CUSA MW schools come here after a 10-2 or 11-1 season if we came calling or would they hold out for a better job?

Reaction Score
I posted in another thread but how many NBE coaches would leave their current job to come here. Memphis, is that it? Would coaches from all MAC CUSA MW schools come here after a 10-2 or 11-1 season if we came calling or would they hold out for a better job?

Well, which NBE schools would the UConn coach leave UConn for?

I think that with the right offer, we should be able to hire away the coach from Temple. They have the only coach that I like enough to want to poach a conference mate's coach from anyways.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Well, which NBE schools would the UConn coach leave UConn for?

I think that with the right offer, we should be able to hire away the coach from Temple. They have the only coach that I like enough to want to poach a conference mate's coach from anyways.
You don't like Chris Petersen?

Reaction Score
You don't like Chris Petersen?

I do. But big programs outside of their current conference haven't been able to lure him away. Nobody in the NBE will either. I never even considered him.

Reaction Score
So you'd like Addazio over Brown, and that's fine. Reasonable. I would prefer the continuity Brown would bring. We are good enough on defense to compete for championships right now. Only one side of the ball needs fixing. We would also keep many of our recruits if Brown stays on, I'm sure.

If we bring in Addazio, we will have to rebuild all three phases again...another setback.
My vote is for Brown. I really like the way he carries himself. I like the way he motivates. I like his mantra. He's a northeast guy.

I am also a fan of Addazio, though. So if we go that direction, I'll be fine. I think Addazio is the guy that can keep Connecticut's best home, for whatever that's worth.

Reaction Score
I'm sure we'd all love to have Addazio as HC with Brown as DC, but Addazio isn't likely to come here. I don't see how we can attract a current BCS level coach. If we stay in this NNBE I think we might have a hard time attracting top MAC level coaches as I'd imagine they'd hold our for a "top 5" conference job. I hope I'm wrong, but I think our best chance of getting a great coach that wants to stay here a decade or longer, and to be where we want to be that's exactly what we'll need, without taking some risk on a guy unproven at the 1A level. Maybe I'm just soured by the experience with P, but it seems like any 1A coaches we could get would be like our 4 star recruits we got under Edsall. Technically highly rated, but there's probably a reason their only other offers are from MAC teams. There was a time when we were in a BCS conference, and Temple was in the MAC that we were inherently more attractive than them, but I don't see how there's too much of a difference now that we're both in a conference stuck between MAC and "BCS"

What would people think of a Mark Whipple, Don Brown reunion? It seems like that would be a very possible, and we wouldn't have to pay 150k to a consulting firm to come up with it. I've heard rumors about Whipple liking to fling the ball around, although I admittedly don't know any more about him other than everyone was pretty pissed when we were rumored to have hired him last time.

Reaction Score
Whipple is tainted. By what, I don't know. It just seems like he's been passed over too many times and there is something there that isn't apparent to us.

I think hiring Whipple would be like hiring P. I think we need someone that is fresh and on the upswing, someone that matches what our program ought to be.

Fresh and on the upswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer