Does post season ban mean also no NIT, CBA etc? | The Boneyard

Does post season ban mean also no NIT, CBA etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it a ban from NCAA tourney and BET (due to BE not wanting the auto bid to go to UConn in case lightning struck again) or from all post season tourneys?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
All post season tournaments.

Reaction Score
uconn should create and host the greater CT open. Any D1 basketball in the state can enter.:)

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
We should have our own tournament. With strippers. And blackjack.

Reaction Score
We should have our own tournament. With strippers. And blackjack.

At Mohegan Sun.

If the NCAA says anything, point out that teams can still practice until the NCAA tournament is over and this is just a glorified set of pick up games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not in our best interest to keep poking the bear,...but it would be fun.

Reaction Score
Technically speaking, the NCAA ban does not include the BET, that was separate. The Big East ruled that any school on a postseason ban in any sport is banned from the Big East Tournament. Other conferences have made similar rulings before, such as USC being banned from the Pac-12 title game in football last year. That was the Pac-12's decision, not the NCAA's. Ohio State and Penn State are likewise banned from the Big 10 title game this year via Big 10 ruling, not NCAA ruling, although the Nittany Lions hadn't been banned yet when we were.
And there is even precedent in basketball, albeit not in large conferences - a couple years ago when Binghamton was banned from the NCAA Tournament, the America East Conference banned them. Come to think of it, USC was banned from the Pac-10 Tournament in 2010 as part of their postseason ban. That was the Pac-10's decision, although they already had the rule in place.
Bottom line is, the NCAA banned us from all their tournaments, NCAA, NIT, CBI, and CIT, but not the BET. They do not have the authority to do that. However, the Big East would forfeit their autobid if we won, by rule. Most conferences already had rules banning banned teams from conference tournaments. The Big East, for whatever reason, did not, but now they do. Honestly, I'm surprised it took them so long. I guess it never mattered before.
However, yes, we are banned from all postseason play. And there already is a Connecticut tournmaent during the regular season (at Mohegan Sun, I believe, actually), featuring everyone in the state but UConn. We're not there because it would be a waste of two or three games for us to be playing in that and it would kill our non-conference SOS, plus I doubt they'd want us anyway since we'd always win.

Reaction Score
We are only banned from the BE tournament because the BE doesnt want an automatic qualifier bid potentially going to a team that cant use it.

Reaction Score
I would assume a post season ban means you can't play in any post season tournaments. NCAA, CBI, NIT, CIT or any other someone might dream up...I would hope that if it ever came to that, UConn would pass on the CBI or CIT anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom