Does "Life" exist in the Big Ten Realignment Universe? | The Boneyard

Does "Life" exist in the Big Ten Realignment Universe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think that a realistic case can be made-on a school-by-school basis, that it may not:

Texas: To far, too demanding, not a Big Ten team player. May be obligated to bring other Texas schools that the Big Ten would not want. Oklahoma membership might be required (See Oklahoma).

Oklahoma: Pretty far and not in the AAU. AAU aside, the academic ratings are not stellar and in some ways (many) inferior to VT and UConn.

Kansas: Small population footprint and not a football power.

Missouri: They are in the SEC and they are not inclined to forget the Big Ten's non-acceptance.

Vanderbilt: They are in the SEC and they are not a large enough school. The Big Ten is not looking for more Northwesterns.

Notre Dame: They really don't want to come.

UNC: They really don't want to be in a Northern conference. And "they" include many wealthy donors and millions of fans.

FSU: Too far-way to far-and AAU membership is a plan.

Ga Tech: An island. "No man is an island" and no school is. Unless you are WVU. Or Hawaii with One Hundred Million to give to the PAC 12.

Duke: See Vanderbilt.

VT: Not in a AAU (but like UConn, interesting). Would the Big Ten take VT and leave an opening for the SEC to take the more academically prestigious UVA?

UVA: Ah, one of my favorites! They have money and don't need it. They are southern enough to want to stay that way.

Buffalo: Look at their entire athletic program, still wanting facilities and athletic record. Compare their (even with AAU) ratings with UVA, UNC or Ga Tech.

Stony Brook: Case Western Reserve, anyone?

Boston College, UMass: Not in AAU. Would you take either of these schools and fill a valuable seat to just get into New England? Well, so long as we're being sanguine, lets take both and double down in Massachusetts.

UConn: Another of my practical favorites: Not in AAU, and wanting in football (results and history) and facilities.

Syracuse, Pitt: Good schools, Pitt is with PSU and Syracuse was not taken before. With respect, are they in realignment currency, a poor man's Missouri?

Notice that not even a whisper of a GOR was uttered.

There are likely many people in the corridors of power who may, upon a common reflection, have no problems with the number 14.

pj

Reaction Score
The only facility UConn is lacking is the football stadium and that would be addressed with B1G membership. AAU and football results are a problem. I suppose football history is a euphemism for national brand/TV interest.

But I agree with you, (a) there's no compelling reason for the B1G to expand, and (b) if they do, UConn would make the most sense, and Virginia Tech may be the most likely partner. UVa is tied to the south but Va Tech has been in the Big East and would probably prefer the B1G's money and academic prestige to any ACC cultural identity. UVa would be reluctant to leave Va Tech in a failing ACC, but Va Tech would not mind leaving UVa in a strong ACC. It's hard to see the ACC being threatened by a Va Tech-only move to the B1G. They might be just as well off with WVU, to get a new state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PJ, maybe you have picked the two teams. The trick in these matters is to see what the Big Ten sees that we and most people are currently missing. Going with UConn and Va Tech is a double non-AAU. That itself may be what people have not considered. We'll see.

pj

Reaction Score
PJ, maybe you have picked the two teams. The trick in these matters is to see what the Big Ten sees that we and most people are currently missing. Going with UConn and Va Tech is a double non-AAU. That itself may be what people have not considered. We'll see.

Va Tech is close to AAU status already and UConn will be there in 20 years at most. I'm not sure I see the fetish with AAU for an athletic conference, but, maybe there are synergies I'm not aware of.

I think strategy will play a big role in B1G decision-making. If poaching Va Tech took away the reasonable chances for the SEC to get a pair of NC and Va schools -- assuming UNC and UVa would rather be in the ACC than SEC -- then it would strengthen the B1G relative to the SEC to grab Va Tech, while UConn would solidify the northeast against the ACC.

On the other hand, maybe the B1G wouldn't mind the SEC taking Va Tech and NC State, hoping that would leave UVa and UNC to fall into its hands upon an eventual ACC dissolution.

Reaction Score
PJ,

Your thought that UVA and UNC would hold while the Big Ten took Va. Tech in the middle of the night is an interesting one. I think that there has to be a great deal of extra money for the Big Ten to do this. A pro-rata or slight pro-rata (per team) plus likely won't be enough. Maybe it will be FOX itself that see value in the things that we are missing.

Reaction Score
Ah, the ole "UConn has bad facilities" from someone who clearly doesn't do their homework
070A-608-AB.jpg

project-uconn-shenkman.jpg

Reaction Score
"UConn: Another of my practical favorites: Not in AAU, and wanting in football (results and history) and facilities."

UConn's athletic facilities are on par with most of the P5. And, most of the facilities are relatively new and modern. The football stadium can be expanded very easily as it was designed for expansion. If athletic facilities were a key factor in conference expansion, UConn would have already been selected.

I agree with the football results and history, although UConn has been playing football longer than probably most of the P5, although at a lower level. That said, in the short time that UConn has played FBS football, the results have been decent, excluding the PP debacle.

Reaction Score
UConn: Another of my practical favorites: Not in AAU, and wanting in football (results and history) and facilities.
Each and every time I see this comment made about us I want to run and find Jeff hathaway and punch him square in the face!!!! Warde Manuel made a comment in a article earlier this week about facilities. He hit the nail square on the head when he said that you constantly need to work at improving and upgrading your facilities. We went through 11 yrs of ZERO improvements, and ZERO upgrades that he spearheaded!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Each and every time I see this comment made about us I want to run and find Jeff hathaway and punch him square in the face!!!! Warde Manuel made a comment in a article earlier this week about facilities. He hit the nail square on the head when he said that you constantly need to work at improving and upgrading your facilities. We went through 11 yrs of ZERO improvements, and ZERO upgrades that he spearheaded!

You and me both. I hate Jeff Hathaway on par with how much I hate Peter Karmanos.

Dooley

Reaction Score
UCONN has good facilities. Their on-campus training facility is on par with a good majority of P5 schools. The stadium was built with the footings already in place to accommodate an expansion up to 60K. They sell beer at the stadium. It's located right off of a major highway artery in CT. A 60K off-campus stadium can work if developed properly featuring a B1G schedule.

As for history/tradition, no arguments here. UCONN obviously doesn't have the history of playing D-1 football that other schools have. But that doesn't mean UCONN hasn't found results. 2007 - Present (INCLUDES Pasqualoni 3 years!):

Matt Schonvisky @MattSchonvisky · 2h
@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee & Vanderbilt of the SEC #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Cal, Colorado, UCLA, Washington & Washington State of the Pac-12 #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota & Purdue of the B1G and Iowa State & Kansas of the Big XII #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Duke, Maryland, NC State, Syracuse, Virginia & Wake Forest of the #ACC #BleedBlue #UCONN

@UCONNFootball has more players in the NFL than Auburn, Baylor, K State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Washington

@UConnFootball ranked 33rd in the nation with 19 players on current NFL rosters prior to April draft #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball recruiting rankings performed 40 spots higher than star rankings show #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp http://the-boneyard.com/blog/football-talent-is-not-all-in-the-stars/…

UCONN is a growth stock. UCONN has demonstrated that it has a blueprint for building championship caliber programs. Much like the Big East adding UCONN hoops right before the program taking off, the B1G could experience the same type of thing with UCONN football. You add UCONN now, cultivate it with improved scheduling and exposure that the B1G would offer, then sit back and watch the growth spurt expedite. By the time the next TV contract is up, you have the northeast turned on to B1G football thanks to the RU, UCONN, Penn State trio. More TV sets. More money. And while we wait for UCONN football to take off, we reward the B1G for their patience with championship caliber basketball programs. A little shiny to add to the B1G trophy case.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jim Delany is 66 years old. Is he fine leaving the B1G with the current 14 and let the next commissioner work on future expansion? Or does he have something bold up his sleeve before he retires in the next 5 years or so, perhaps just in time for the next monster TV deal? Lets face it its hard to imagine he'll be around when the GOR's are up in what 10 years?

I assume most people believe he'll hold at 14 but I'll hold out hope that he still is hurting from the last Swofford jab and he wants to throw one more haymaker before hanging up the gloves.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
i honestly think one of the things that gets overlooked is our accessibility to main campus and the surrounding area as well. UConn continues to vastly grow and invest in Storrs and the outskirts of campus but it just doesn't have the "feel" of a B1G campus like OSU, UNL, etc. I think UConn could actually become a lot like PSU but the state/administration need to stop finding excuses as to why things can't be done in Storrs and start figuring out ways to make things work there.

I love Storrs and I love the "college town" vibe I get there but lets be honest it still leaves a lot to be desired immediately around the campus area. There needs to continue to be economic development and a slight growth in population in the areas around the Storrs campus in addition to other athletic and academic growths IMO

Reaction Score
Drew said:
i honestly think one of the things that gets overlooked is our accessibility to main campus and the surrounding area as well. UConn continues to vastly grow and invest in Storrs and the outskirts of campus but it just doesn't have the "feel" of a B1G campus like OSU, UNL, etc. I think UConn could actually become a lot like PSU but the state/administration need to stop finding excuses as to why things can't be done in Storrs and start figuring out ways to make things work there. I love Storrs and I love the "college town" vibe I get there but lets be honest it still leaves a lot to be desired immediately around the campus area. There needs to continue to be economic development and a slight growth in population in the areas around the Storrs campus in addition to other athletic and academic growths IMO

It seems like that is happening. The new tech park will be the catalyst you are looking for in terms of significant growth of the area.

Reaction Score
This post is varsity.

UCONN has good facilities. Their on-campus training facility is on par with a good majority of P5 schools. The stadium was built with the footings already in place to accommodate an expansion up to 60K. They sell beer at the stadium. It's located right off of a major highway artery in CT. A 60K off-campus stadium can work if developed properly featuring a B1G schedule.

As for history/tradition, no arguments here. UCONN obviously doesn't have the history of playing D-1 football that other schools have. But that doesn't mean UCONN hasn't found results. 2007 - Present:

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Tennessee & Vanderbilt of the SEC #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Cal, Colorado, UCLA, Washington & Washington State of the Pac-12 #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota & Purdue of the B1G and Iowa State & Kansas of the Big XII #UCONN

@UConnFootball has more wins since 2007 than Duke, Maryland, NC State, Syracuse, Virginia & Wake Forest of the #ACC #BleedBlue #UCONN

@UCONNFootball has more players in the NFL than Auburn, Baylor, K State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Washington

@UConnFootball ranked 33rd in the nation with 19 players on current NFL rosters prior to April draft #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp

@UConnFootball recruiting rankings performed 40 spots higher than star rankings show #UCONN #BleedBlue #RiseUp http://the-boneyard.com/blog/football-talent-is-not-all-in-the-stars/…

UCONN is a growth stock. UCONN has demonstrated that it has a blueprint for building championship caliber programs. Much like the Big East adding UCONN hoops right before the program taking off, the B1G could experience the same type of thing with UCONN football. You add UCONN now, cultivate it with improved scheduling and exposure that the B1G would offer, then sit back and watch the growth spurt expedite. By the time the next TV contract is up, you have the northeast turned on to B1G football thanks to the RU, UCONN, Penn State trio. More TV sets. More money. And while we wait for UCONN football to take off, we reward the B1G for their patience with championship caliber basketball programs. A little shiny to add to the B1G trophy case.

Reaction Score
Hathaway rose to the level of his incompetence when he was named AD.

Reaction Score
The only realistic thing about this original post is that the Big10 will not stay at 14 teams forever.

Reaction Score
I'm also trying to figure out if the OP is implying the B1G would take a look at Case Western Reserve. Extremely prestigious med school and research. 5k enrollment and sponsors 9 9 NINE men's DIII sports.

pj

Reaction Score
My niece went to Case Western Reserve. Great school but wouldn't add much to the B1G. I think he was just noting it as a comparable school to Buffalo, in terms of its AAU status and location in a Rust Belt city bordering Lake Erie. From a research and demographic perspective, they would be similar adds.

pj

Reaction Score
The only realistic thing about this original post is that the Big10 will not stay at 14 teams forever.

The point of his post was that the B1G might want to stay at 14 teams forever.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I suspect an improved football product on the field and in the stands would go a long way towards forcing the issue. If it's the B1G, ACC or a FAR more lucrative AAC contract, at this point, I don't care. UCONN hoops can be elite wherever it plays. If our pull is strong enough to align all of the "best of the rest" together and adopt all P5 reforms, with a better TV revenue stream, then so be it. It all starts with what happens this fall. Another 3 loss season in front of apathetic fans only seals our "have not" future.

Reaction Score
The point of his post was that the B1G might want to stay at 14 teams forever.
No kidding. My point is that its unrealistic to believe that will happen.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Another 3 loss season in front of apathetic fans only seals our "have not" future.
Boy, tough fans. I would be thrilled with a 3 LOSS season. A 3 win season, which is what you obviously meant, would not help our future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom