Does Big Ten regret adding Rutgers? | The Boneyard

Does Big Ten regret adding Rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Delany, in his first public comments on Rutgers since the university began investigating coach Kyle Flood in August, told the Tribune that the Big Ten does not regret adding Rutgers. As Delany noted, the Rutgers/Maryland expansion fulfilled a "strategic objective" to penetrate several giant East Coast markets.

"It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, but it's somewhat irrelevant," Delany said. "I can't name an institution during my (26-year) tenure that has not had a serious personnel or ethical issue at one point. These are high-profile situations with lots of exposure. I wish we never had any of it at our schools, but I'm realistic."

"What doesn't change is the nature of the school, its aspirations and its geography," he said. "Rutgers is not in Hawaii; it's in the New Jersey/New York corridor. It's a great research institution, home to many scholars, and has had graduation rates for athletics at or near the top for a decade. We hope the situation improves, but we are glad that Rutgers is in the Big Ten."

"Each of the institutions has had periods where there has been turmoil, personnel turmoil," Delany said. "The NCAA or Board of Trustees might be there to judge, but the office of the commissioner is here to help and assist."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-ten-greenstein-spt-0925-20150924-column.html

Note: Copy title and go through Google.

Reaction Score

Ok Rutgers people. On the bright side...

The Colleges With the Most Noteworthy Alumni
Rutgers. #28.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careersandeducation/the-colleges-with-the-most-noteworthy-alumni/ss-AAehQeE

At StartClass, we wanted to know which colleges had the most noteworthy alumni. Our in-house education team sorted through data from Wikipedia to form an aggregate ranking of schools based on the total number of distinguished alumni across different categories.
It’s important to note that this is not a comprehensive list—it’s difficult to put an exact number on the amount of notable alumni from a given school. So while the schools are ranked in order, the total number of distinguished alumni should be viewed more as an informed approximation rather than a precise figure.

(Michigan is #2. Go Blue)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What could the guy realistically say? " Rutgers. We gave them a golden ticket that secured their athletic future in perpetuity and in return they handed us a giant s*** sandwich. I have half a mind to make them eat it."

The reality is that Rutgers is still an excellent school that meets the profile of what a B1G Type institution looks like. Yes they S*U*C*K at every sport, but maybe if they throw enough money at it they can go from abysmal to just plain awful.

If they never rise above 14th place, Delany will still have leveraged the poor cable subscribers of NJ into paying for BTN, while providing OSU and UM another place to recruit football players. Win/Win in his eyes.

Reaction Score
He's talking the truth. The B1G looks at the whole package. Yes, Rutgers football team has issue and its AD is a disaster; but, it is still AAU, still located in the county's largest metropolitan area, etc. The B1G has no regrets.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I hate Rutgers as much as anyone. They are the worst. But the question answers itself the moment the checks roll in.

pj

Reaction Score
I hate Rutgers as much as anyone. They are the worst. But the question answers itself the moment the checks roll in.

I don't hate Rutgers. When we're together in the B1G I look forward to an easy victory cough enjoyable rivalry with them, and to cashing big checks they helped underwrite.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't hate Rutgers. When we're together in the B1G I look forward to an easy victory cough enjoyable rivalry with them, and to cashing big checks they helped underwrite.
Totally agree. :)

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Delany, in his first public comments on Rutgers since the university began investigating coach Kyle Flood in August, told the Tribune that the Big Ten does not regret adding Rutgers. As Delany noted, the Rutgers/Maryland expansion fulfilled a "strategic objective" to penetrate several giant East Coast markets.

"It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, but it's somewhat irrelevant," Delany said. ....
You would expect two possible answers:

1) "It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, but we don't."
2) "It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, and we do."

And his answer: "It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, but it's somewhat irrelevant,"

My interpretation: "It might be a fun read that the Big Ten has remorse, and we do, but it's somewhat irrelevant,"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"What doesn't change is the nature of the school, its aspirations and its geography," Delany said.

-b0f26fba66288604.jpg

"GD it! As much as I appreciate all those cable boxes, I can't believe that we're in bed with Snooki," Delany thought.

Reaction Score
"What doesn't change is the nature of the school, its aspirations and its geography," Delany said.

-b0f26fba66288604.jpg

"GD it! As much as I appreciate all those cable boxes, I can't believe that we're in bed with Snooki," Delany thought.
Tell me that B1G logo isn't half a pen scratch away from being B16. Hold on Snooki darlin' we're on our way!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This quote is great from Steve Politi of the Newark Star Ledger:

I'm guessing at this point, every time Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany does a facepalm in his Chicago office, it leaves a red mark on his forehead in the shape of a block R.

Good read. He's their version of Jacobs.
Big Ten surely horrified, but regretful about adding Rutgers? No way

Reaction Score
JD knows he has a * show on his hands, but nothing else could be said. He knows that when the Trib even asks such a question, it is intended to be rhetorical and provocative. But, he couldn't bite. However, IMO it helps us because he knows we would be a solid and worthy addition and help dilude the stench created by Rutgers. The Trib's question (and obvious position on this matter) only helps create a sense urgency for the B1G to add a very available and great fit - UConn.

Reaction Score
I love the fact that he can't talk about the value of Rutgers without mentioning geography. At least he is honest.
I've been beating the geography drum for > 3 yrs. Back when others were lamenting our geography as our doom, I was with those who saw it as our salvation. But, please, hold your applause until the invitation is announced.

Reaction Score
I love the fact that he can't talk about the value of Rutgers without mentioning geography. At least he is honest.

Shaky,

Geography is the only possible justification - he knows everybody knows that. Rest assured - this has not gone as he expected and he and his staff are sick of the relentless Q and A that has resulted therefrom.

(BTW, Shaky - are all the boys in your congregation called "Shorty"?)

Reaction Score
This quote is great from Steve Politi of the Newark Star Ledger:

I'm guessing at this point, every time Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany does a facepalm in his Chicago office, it leaves a red mark on his forehead in the shape of a block R.

Good read. He's their version of Jacobs.
Big Ten surely horrified, but regretful about adding Rutgers? No way

Imagine if you worked for a company brought on a moron with a remote office. Everyone knew he was a moron, and the company took a little bit of mild collateral damage for having hired the moron.

But, the mere fact that the company hired this moron increased your salary by about 20-25% and allowed your fellow employees to reach their clients more easily and efficiently via his remote office.

You're not firing the moron. You're avoiding him like the bubonic plague at the Christmas party, but no way are you getting rid of that moron.

Reaction Score
Well, you're right. Lol. Can't argue with that point. With that said, we have a long way to go, but we'll get there...hopefully soon. I'm optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom