Does anyone else find it strange | The Boneyard

Does anyone else find it strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
how some posters on this board develop a severe dislike for certain players when they don't live up to expectations? It's just weird that instead of rooting for them to get better and generally supporting them as a member of the UConn Huskies, they seem to root for failure and just toss them under the bus.

It's fine to be critical (Nolan has to rebound better, Omar has to shoot better, Giffey has to be more assertive on offense) - those things are fine. But when people grind out things like player X should never be a starter on the team or player Y should never play a minute, etc. etc., it just seems so over the top.

I don't know - it's just weird that people develop negative personal feelings based on how the kids perform or under perform. Somehow it makes them bad kids. Strange attitude.

/rant off

Reaction Score
Always boggles my mind. This is supposed to be the team you like. Why are you mad at a kid because he's not as good at basketball as you, someone who has nothing to do with him or the program, wanted him to be.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I don't get that mindset either. Nobody commits to a division one school and consciously says to themselves, "I'm going to create as many losses as possible."
All of these kids want to put up good number and all of them want to be champions. We can't take it personally when they meet bumps in the road.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
how some posters on this board develop a severe dislike for certain players when they don't live up to expectations? It's just weird that instead of rooting for them to get better and generally supporting them as a member of the UConn Huskies, they seem to root for failure and just toss them under the bus.

It's fine to be critical (Nolan has to rebound better, Omar has to shoot better, Giffey has to be more assertive on offense) - those things are fine. But when people grind out things like player X should never be a starter on the team or player Y should never play a minute, etc. etc., it just seems so over the top.

I don't know - it's just weird that people develop negative personal feelings based on how the kids perform or under perform. Somehow it makes them bad kids. Strange attitude.

/rant off

Then there's the corollary where, player Y, who has been buried on the bench all season, has to start. Ostensibly because they scored six points in 2 minutes vs East Wackasaw St or some such thing.

Last edited:

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
The worst is old, fat armchair psychologists/bball gurus trying to psychoanalyze teenage athletes and claiming the player(s) is/aren't trying. Like they give up.

Let's make something abundantly clear: unless your name is Andre Drummond, you don't ascend the basketball ladder far enough to earn a scholarship at UConn without putting in work and overcoming some serious odds. If a medical student at Michigan performs poorly on an exam, would any thinking person on planet earth try to chalk it up to a lack of effort? That the student just lost some of their luster?

Utterly ridiculous.

edit joking about AD because he's just a total freak of nature

Reaction Score
Babysheep stole some of my thunder. When any of us went to college, whether on our own dime or someone else's, I'm sure we did not always live up to the expectations set forth by either the university, our parents, our advisors, our professors, or ourselves. Would it have made a difference if we had our performance or lack thereof, discussed ad nauseam on a message board by anonymous people whom we wouldn't know if we passed them on the street? It probably wouldn't have helped.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As I have said elsewhere, about 1/3 of this board follows the same arc on every player. When they come in, they are program saviors, by their sophomore year they are busts, and by their senior year they were great players and will be missed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Have you guys seen the Olander rap video?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the day a UConn player signs up on the Boneyard and gives his, "View from the Floor" after every game. That'd be awesome.

Reaction Score
Then there's the corollary where, player Y, who has been buried on the bench all season, has to start. Ostensibly because they scored six points in 2 minutes vs East Wackasaw St or some such thing.
Then there is the scenario where some all backyard fans think they know better than a 13 year NBA veteran who should start. For example, coaches may see Nolan eat Facey for lunch in practice everyday while fans don't.

Reaction Score
Then there is the scenario where some all backyard fans think they know better than a 13 year NBA veteran who should start. For example, coaches may see Nolan eat Facey for lunch in practice everyday while fans don't.
Judging by the news today, even KO is looking to make any changes needed. Even 13 year NBA vets can make mistakes. He'd be the first to admit that. Most of us can see the effort, and that is what is making the impression on us, not the other failures.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Judging by the news today, even KO is looking to make any changes needed. Even 13 year NBA vets can make mistakes. He'd be the first to admit that. Most of us can see the effort, and that is what is making the impression on us, not the other failures.

It doesn't look like Nolan isn't trying. It simply looks like he doesn't yet have the skill/experience (or idea where to be). Will he get it? I don't know, but effort doesn't seem to be the issue.

The 2nd half of the last game looked like lackadaisical play at the guard/wing position (imo).

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't like people bashing teenagers/young adults. I'm sure 99% of us were not that dedicated to anything as much as these kids are to our basketball program.
However,I think you can discuss issues around the team w/o being am ahol@ to the players. If we can't play armchair coach, why have the Boneyard?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The worst is old, fat armchair psychologists/bball gurus trying to psychoanalyze teenage athletes and claiming the player(s) is/aren't trying. Like they give up.

Let's make something abundantly clear: unless your name is Andre Drummond, you don't ascend the basketball ladder far enough to earn a scholarship at UConn without putting in work and overcoming some serious odds. If a medical student at Michigan performs poorly on an exam, would any thinking person on planet earth try to chalk it up to a lack of effort? That the student just lost some of their luster?

Utterly ridiculous.

edit joking about AD because he's just a total freak of nature

Care to give out the names of the award winners?

big-man-lg-with-ball-300x277.jpg

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Care to give out the names of the award winners?
Sorry, not many actual names come to mind other than Palatine and Freescooter. edit Tenspro or whoever made the thread about KO so he obviously deserves the reward

If you're one who talks about our cheerleaders, you probably deserve the reward. Just like how you'd have nothing to say irl to KO or the players, you'd be too big a p-ssy to say hi to a cheerleader, let alone call her fat and ugly to her face.

Last edited:

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Did Anyone else read this piece by good old Mike Anthony on Doug Wiggins? http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78641990/.

It always amazes me that guys like him, TO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel couldn't consistently bring it night in and night out. Then I remember that I have bAd days at the office and am inconsistent in my own life now, forget about my college days.

What makes great teams are the players ability to maximize their talent and fit in the team's system along with the coach's ability to harness and increase players' talent while crafting, implementing and teaching their system. It is hard to match one group of young men up against another and say "go win".

Our young men play hard and as fans we get the benefit of enjoying the Fruita of their effort. In turn, it our obligation to support and believe in them. If we give them confidence it helps them believe in themselves, which in turn gives them the ability to take potential and make it a night in, night out thing. I for one yell at the KO through my TV to pull people, but no mAtter who comes off the bench, I am putting my hope and belief that they will produce out into the Universe.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Sorry, not many actual names come to mind other than Palatine and Freescooter. edit Tenspro or whoever made the thread about KO so he obviously deserves the reward

If you're one who talks about our cheerleaders, you probably deserve the reward. Just like how you'd have nothing to say irl to KO or the players, you'd be too big a p-ssy to say hi to a cheerleader, let alone call her fat and ugly to her face.

I'm not sure if you're generalizing or not but I've never posted about our cheerleaders. Rarely post on the BB boards.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you're generalizing or not but I've never posted about our cheerleaders. Rarely post on the BB boards.
No man, as sad as it is, there have been several full-on discussions, threads, and occasional off-hand mentions of our cheerleaders for as long as I've been reading/posting since last forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom