Dodd Stadium College Baseball Classic | The Boneyard

Dodd Stadium College Baseball Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My wife and I have season tickets to the Connecticut Tigers, the short season minor league team in Norwich. Consequently we're always getting notified of the various things that take place at Dodd Stadium. Anyway, the Tigers are starting to publicize UConn's first appearance in Norwich this spring:

FIRST ANNUAL DODD STADIUM COLLEGE BASEBALL CLASSIC

UCONN, Stony Brook, Bryant To Face Off April 4-6

NORWICH, CT- The Connecticut Tigers are proud to introduce the “Dodd Stadium College Baseball Classic” in 2014. The first annual event will feature three of the premier college baseball programs in the Northeast as UCONN, Stony Brook University, and Bryant University will square off in a series of games beginning Friday April 4th and concluding Sunday April 6th at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut.

All three baseball programs have won games in the NCAA tournament over the course of the last two seasons. Bryant and UCONN are the only teams from New England to have done so in 2013. Stony Brook reached the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska after a storybook run in 2012, marking the first time a team from the Northeast reached the College World Series in three decades.

“We are extremely excited to be able to host three of the region’s top college baseball programs in one weekend this spring,” said Tigers Vice President & General Manager Eric Knighton. “Our hope is to make this an event everyone marks on their calendars each spring for many years to come.”

The schedule of games will be as follows: Bryant and UCONN kick things off Friday, April 4th at 3 pm. On Saturday, April 5th Stony Brook and Bryant face off at 12 p.m. followed by Stony Brook and UCONN at 4 pm. The Classic concludes on Sunday, April 6th with Bryant vs. Stony Brook at 12 pm and Bryant vs. UCONN at 4 pm. Dodd Stadium gates will open one hour prior to the start time of the day’s first game.

Tickets for the Dodd Stadium College Baseball Classic will be available through the Dodd Stadium box office or online at www.cttigers.com beginning Monday, March 3rd. Tickets will be available on a “Day Ticket” basis or an “All-Session Ticket” basis. A Day Ticket grants the holder access to all games held on a specific day, while the All-Session Ticket would grant entrance to the entire weekend’s set of games. Pricing is as follows: Adult Day Ticket: $10, Adult All-Session Ticket: $25; Student/Child/Senior Day Ticket: $7, Student/Child/Senior All-Session Ticket: $17; Groups of 10 or more Day Ticket: $5 per ticket. Luxury Suites will be available for rent at $300 per day or $600 for all games Friday through Sunday.

The Connecticut Tigers are the New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers and play a 76 game schedule that runs from mid June through early September. 2014 season tickets, mini plans, and team merchandise are now on sale! The front office and box office is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and can be accessed in person or by calling 860-887-7962.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the folks in Norwich are worried that UConn may consider building a real college baseball stadium in Storrs? Nothing against Norwich; but, it’s a small market for minor league baseball with a lot of competition (New Britain, Pawtucket, etc.). I think even ECSU has a decent baseball field not too far away in Willimantic.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the folks in Norwich are worried that UConn may consider building a real college baseball stadium in Storrs? Nothing against Norwich; but, it’s a small market for minor league baseball with a lot of competition (New Britain, Pawtucket, etc.). I think even ECSU has a decent baseball field not too far away in Willimantic.

I live in Norwich, and as I mentioned go to Connecticut Tiger games regularly. The idea of UConn building a "real" college baseball stadium does not bother me in the least. In fact, I look forward to it, the same way I look forward to UConn building a new soccer stadium and a new ice hockey facility. I don't see a conflict, as the UConn baseball season is over (unless the Huskies end up in Omaha) when the Connecticut Tigers start up their season in mid June.

One thing that the Connecticut Tigers and Dodd Stadium has done the last few years is fill April and May with mostly high school baseball with some college games thrown in for good measure. UConn returns to Dodd Stadium to play Rhode Island in May, something they also did last year when URI was considered the home team (it takes about the same amount of time to drive to the URI campus as it does to drive to Storrs. The Northeast Conference Tournament has also been announced for Dodd this May. And while it hasn't been announced, I know Boston College again is playing St. John's in late April at Dodd, something they have done there for the last few years. Personally, I'd love to see see UConn baseball play St. John's again. If St. John's is so willing to travel, I think it would be a great thing to have UConn and St. John's play an annual game in Bridgeport.

Reaction Score
I live in Norwich, and as I mentioned go to Connecticut Tiger games regularly. The idea of UConn building a "real" college baseball stadium does not bother me in the least. In fact, I look forward to it, the same way I look forward to UConn building a new soccer stadium and a new ice hockey facility. I don't see a conflict, as the UConn baseball season is over (unless the Huskies end up in Omaha) when the Connecticut Tigers start up their season in mid June.

One thing that the Connecticut Tigers and Dodd Stadium has done the last few years is fill April and May with mostly high school baseball with some college games thrown in for good measure. UConn returns to Dodd Stadium to play Rhode Island in May, something they also did last year when URI was considered the home team (it takes about the same amount of time to drive to the URI campus as it does to drive to Storrs. The Northeast Conference Tournament has also been announced for Dodd this May. And while it hasn't been announced, I know Boston College again is playing St. John's in late April at Dodd, something they have done there for the last few years. Personally, I'd love to see see UConn baseball play St. John's again. If St. John's is so willing to travel, I think it would be a great thing to have UConn and St. John's play an annual game in Bridgeport.

Valid point on the schedule. Thanks. My concern is over market saturation. Can Eastern CT support 3 minor league level stadiums in the region? Dodd in Norwich (6,300), ECSU in Willimantic (1,200), and Omaha Champs Field at UConn (best guess, 2,000, bigger than ECSU and in between other college stadium in the area– St. John’s w/ 3,500 and Rutgers w/ 1,500). I know that Penn State recently built a new baseball stadium on-campus that holds 5,000 and is used by the Nittany Lions in the spring and then State College Spikes (also a short-season NY-Penn A level team) in the summer and fall. Makes more sense than having 3 different stadiums.
As a FYI, I am glad that the Norwich team is still drawing OK (avg NY Penn league attendance in 2013: #1 Brooklyn 6,500, #3 Lowell 4,500, #7 State College 3,500, #11 Norwich 1,700 of 14). When I was young, I went to the old West Haven A’s (I think) and then later the New Haven Ravens and then the New Britain Rock Cats in addition to the Yankees when I ponied-up some money. Minor league games are great value, especially for families like mine with young boys who just want to go t a game. I used to take him to the Lowell Spinners, whose tickets can be a bear to get, and now the Rockland Boulders in NY.

Reaction Score
Valid point on the schedule. Thanks. My concern is over market saturation. Can Eastern CT support 3 minor league level stadiums in the region? Dodd in Norwich (6,300), ECSU in Willimantic (1,200), and Omaha Champs Field at UConn (best guess, 2,000, bigger than ECSU and in between other college stadium in the area– St. John’s w/ 3,500 and Rutgers w/ 1,500). I know that Penn State recently built a new baseball stadium on-campus that holds 5,000 and is used by the Nittany Lions in the spring and then State College Spikes (also a short-season NY-Penn A level team) in the summer and fall. Makes more sense than having 3 different stadiums.

Three minor league stadiums? The only one that qualifies at this point is Dodd in Norwich. While Eastern has had a good baseball program, I don't think their facility really enters the picture.

Reaction Score
Man Im excited about this. My wolves playing Connecticut this Saturday. Stony Brook is looking to bounce back after a mediocre season following up their College World Series run. So far we are 13-10 with a top 100 win over Sacred Heart today.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what happened to the video link that was there for today's game. No longer out on the UConn website?

Reaction Score
What is up with Marzi and his control this year? First inning and he has already hit 2 batters and walked 3 including 2 runs in. This guy is a Senior and has pitched in too many big games to pitch like this.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Game Notes
- UConn is now 4-2 all-time vs. Bryant in a series that dates back to 2009.
- Melley has recorded multi-hit games in seven of his last eight games.
- Bryant has won six straight games.

The Huskies return to Dodd Stadium on Saturday, April 5 when they challenge Stony Brook at 4 p.m. Anthony Kay is set to take the mound for the Huskies in his third start of 2014.

Reaction Score
Today's UConn lineup v. SB

Daniello - 3B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
Siena - 2B
Yavarone - LF
Sundberg - CF
Darras - DH
David - C
Hill - SS
Kay - P”

Reaction Score
“@UConnBaseball: Final recap from #UConn's 6-3 loss to @StonyBrookBASE today: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/040514aaa.html #BleedBlue”

Game Notes
- David Mahoney faced one batter in the ninth and retired him with a strikeout. Mahoney has not allowed an earned run in 12 appearances this season, and 24 straight outings dating back to April 30, 2013.
- Blake Davey’s multi-hit game was his team-high 12th of the season.

Up next, UConn concludes the College Baseball Classic when it takes on Bryant for the second time this weekend on Sunday afternoon. First pitch against the Bulldogs is set for 4 p.m., with Jordan Tabakman (Pompton Plains, N.J.) taking the ball for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
My boys showed up this weekend. Has to be the first time we ever beat Connecticut

Reaction Score
Gotta get this one,,.

UConn lineup:

Daniello - 3B
Davey - RF
Melley - 1B
Siena - 2B
Yavarone - LF
McDowell - C
Darras - DH
Hill - SS
Sundberg - CF
Tabakman - P

“@UConnBaseball: Jordan Tabakman (2-1, 2.53) will take the ball today for #UConn, his first weekend start since March 14. He'll face Kyle Wilcox (1-0, 3.52).”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can our pitchers cut down on the walks which is the only knock on them. As far as offense, can we get some clutch hits. Too many bases loaded no outs or one out situations and no runs to show. DP's and K's killing the team. I guess it starts with one win and hopefully its today.

Reaction Score
Lost weekend (pun intended):

@uconnbaseball: Final score: Bryant 5, #UConn 3. Huskies drop to 13-16 on the year, while the Bulldogs move to 18-9. Full recap to follow. #BleedBlue

Game Notes
- Blake Davey has scored at least one run in 17 of UConn’s 29 games and has six games with multiple runs after scoring two today.
- Max Slade lowered his season ERA to 0.66 with a scoreless 0.2 innings pitched.
- David Mahoney allowed an earned run for the first time in 13 appearances this season. He also had a streak of 24 consecutive outings without allowing an earned run snapped

UConn returns to action on Tuesday when they travel to Northeastern for a midweek game in Brookline, Mass. First pitch between the two sets of Huskies is set for 3 p.m.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Huskymedic and dbmill. What is up with this team? I know they lost Mazzilli and I know he was a major leader but they have enough talent returning and certainly should have some leadership with the pitching staff. But man are they struggling right now. I guess the one good thing about Huskies Baseball is they are a lot like our basketball team in that when it's winning time (tourney) they always seem to step up big and at this [point it's looking like a tourney run is going to be necessary.

Reaction Score
So Huskymedic and dbmill. What is up with this team? I know they lost Mazzilli and I know he was a major leader but they have enough talent returning and certainly should have some leadership with the pitching staff. But man are they struggling right now. I guess the one good thing about Huskies Baseball is they are a lot like our basketball team in that when it's winning time (tourney) they always seem to step up big and at this [point it's looking like a tourney run is going to be necessary.

I'm in Nashville right now, so I'll keep it short. They are a very young team, and they need experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom