Dirty play in the NCAA... | The Boneyard

Dirty play in the NCAA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I rewatched the South Carolina/UConn game a couple of nights ago while helping my daughter with her homework. My daughter to my delight noticed the #2 next to our name at the bottom of the screen and said "What? Why are we #2 daddy?" See, I raised her right :) I noticed with about 4:30 left in the game after A'ja Wilson's second foul shot Alaina Coates pretty much tried to rip Stewie's arm off. I hadn't noticed this before but it seemed to be in clear view of the refs and Dawn Staley and the SCar coaching staff. My question is, how much of this kind of stuff do you think will be allowed once we get to the Elite 8 and FF?

Reaction Score
I rewatched the South Carolina/UConn game a couple of nights ago while helping my daughter with her homework.

Gee times have changed. I had to hide the radio so I wouldn't be caught listening to the Knick game while doing my homework.

I noticed with about 4:30 left in the game after A'ja Wilson's second foul shot Alaina Coates pretty much tried to rip Stewie's arm off. I hadn't noticed this before but it seemed to be in clear view of the refs and Dawn Staley and the SCar coaching staff. My question is, how much of this kind of stuff do you think will be allowed once we get to the Elite 8 and FF?

Good question! I imagine Geno is wondering too. Good thing Stewie's been dealing with it all season and if it goes that way she can handle it.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
They call less fouls in general in the tournament to keep the TV schedule on target - look at the "physical play" that Rutgers was allowed, pushing Stewie out of bounds, throwing Gabby to the floor, etc.

At the end of the day, Geno teaches his team how to play through the physical play as that is a lot of teams approach to playing us.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It was just really startling to see. It was clear and blatant. I have never really been impressed with Coates personally and that definitely didn't make me a fan. I believe she has had some issues within her own team throughout the year also. Hopefully, this improves.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Coates' act was discussed after the game, and there were some other over-the-top action by USCar that will certainly be remembered if the teams meet up in the tourney finale. Just because a ref is in the vicinity though does not mean the action is in their view, because their eyes are following the ball and by the time they notice something relating to any dirty action by a player like Coates on the side, it's over. Very hard to blow the whistle there, and usually it only gets called if the coach has notified the refs and they keep an eye out for recurrences.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
IMO it seems players are "generally" allowed to be MORE physical in the Tournament than they were during the regular season. Of course this varies by officiating crew. You watch some games where they're calling "touch" fouls , then change the channel and see players practically tackling each other with no call. It makes you shake your head at the inconsistency.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
It seemed like Stewie shook it off like it was probably happening most of the game so maybe it looked worse than it actually was.

Reaction Score
This was one of the sources for Geno's post game assertion that the rules are different for Stewie. There lots of other examples.

Reaction Score
Geno's kids are tough, really tough. I don't remember a season when they were beaten up so often, by so many excessively hard fouls and dirty plays. I attribute it to AAC teams realizing they could absolutely not compete talent-wise with UConn, thus resorting to physical, roughhouse play that many times went too far (and less-than-competent referees are at fault, too.) Less-skilled players can get frustrated when they are constantly beaten off the dribble (Mo), watch 3's rain down on them (KML), get face-stuffed left and right (Kiah), and try to stop the unstoppable (Stewie). And getting beat by 40 all the time can make even a nice kid pissed off and chippy. And though I really really hate ND and their whiney coach (and to a much lesser degree Duke and SC) I believe they always play hard, clean, and, yes, physical ball. They rarely, if ever, push the boundaries of good sportsmanship, they just want to win badly, and they give everything they've got because they believe they are as good as UConn. A great reflection on their outstanding athletes and their coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno's kids are tough, really tough. I don't remember a season when they were beaten up so often, by so many excessively hard fouls and dirty plays. I attribute it to AAC teams realizing they could absolutely not compete talent-wise with UConn, thus resorting to physical, roughhouse play that many times went too far (and less-than-competent referees are at fault, too.) Less-skilled players can get frustrated when they are constantly beaten off the dribble (Mo), watch 3's rain down on them (KML), get face-stuffed left and right (Kiah), and try to stop the unstoppable (Stewie). And getting beat by 40 all the time can make even a nice kid pissed off and chippy. And though I really really hate ND and their whiney coach (and to a much lesser degree Duke and SC) I believe they always play hard, clean, and, yes, physical ball. They rarely, if ever, push the boundaries of good sportsmanship, they just want to win badly, and they give everything they've got because they believe they are as good as UConn. A great reflection on their outstanding athletes and their coaches.
Diana Taurasi always took a beating. That and the fact she carried an inexperienced team to a championship explained her emotional reaction after the championship game(pulling on her jersey and the fist pump).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom