Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Vitale's List:
1. Coach K
2. Greg Popovich
3. Bill Belichick
4. Geno Auriemma
5. Nick Saban

I saw where he threw this Top 5 on twitter most recently. Can anyone confirm this and was anyone with him while he was smoking and drinking that night? I mean a couple can certainly be argued but a couple, one in particular, belongs on IMUS in the Morning - "What doesn't belong and why?"

What would yours be all time for any sport at any time? (mine to come soon)

Reaction Score
This is one man's list but I would consider who can consistently win with the less talent and against the best of competition. Many of his top 5 had exceptional talent, making their job easier.

Perhaps they have the best talent is because they are great coaches. Chicken/Egg.

As much as I want to blast his number one, I can't. K deserves respect just not the love fest his cheerleader gives him. DV is having multiple orgasms since yesterday, so he's quite emotional and subjective right now. His man is on top of the world.

He just would not be my number one (things like Mercer doesn't happen on the big stage).

Reaction Score
He just would not be my number one (things like Mercer doesn't happen on the big stage).
Exactly. In big moments,

Saban doesn't lose to the Mercers or Lehighs of CFB.
Pops doesn't lose to the Mercers or Lehighs of NBA.
Belichick doesn't lose to the Mercers or Lehighs of the NFL
Geno doesn't lose to the Mercers or Lehighs of WCBB

Reaction Score
Vitale's List:
1. Coach K
2. Greg Popovich
3. Bill Belichick
4. Geno Auriemma
5. Nick Saban

I saw where he threw this Top 5 on twitter most recently. Can anyone confirm this and was anyone with him while he was smoking and drinking that night? I mean a couple can certainly be argued but a couple, one in particular, belongs on IMUS in the Morning - "What doesn't belong and why?"

you are right - Geno is a good coach but he doesn't belong on this list
add Phil Jackson and take off Geno
I would think Calhoun would make the top 10..

Reaction Score

Yeah Geno is definitely not even close to that list. He's great and easily the best in his world but that does not equate to Top 5. His "building of the program" would probably be 2nd to Jim Calhoun for top 5 in that category, or close at least. But not overall, all sports coaching. I'm ok with K being on or near the top also. Pop? Maybe. Bill B? There's an argument but Bill Walsh and Vince probably should be ahead. Nick Saban? - close but nope. The thing is everyone but Geno has an argument - I mean I respect that Dicky V likes what he's done but he's being a little too political on that one. Nice gesture but c'mon really?

Reaction Score
Vitale's List:
1. Coach K
2. Greg Popovich
3. Bill Belichick
4. Geno Auriemma
5. Nick Saban

If this is an all time all sports list then the man is a baffoon. If its a list of current coaches then its less laughable but laughable none the less.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Take away MJ, Pippen
Take away Kobe and Shaq
Phil Jackson wins nothing - his importance is one of the most over rated in sports - my opinion
Some will say he had to meld that talent - he didn't meld Kobe/Shaq or MJ
I draw a parallel with Jackson and Geno
The football coaches are different - more players and working parts.
Pop is deserving and in many respects K is, but not number one - K has had the pick of the litter and loses too many he should win
Must not be a baseball fan (while he claims to be a huge Rays follower) but there has to be a few you could throw in there.

Reaction Score
If this is an all time all sports list then the man is a baffoon. If its a list of current coaches then its less laughable but laughable none the less.

Yeah not sure on that one Champs. You are right. But even if it is "now" it is only less laughable.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Take away MJ, Pippen
Take away Kobe and Shaq
Phil Jackson wins nothing - his importance is one of the most over rated in sports - my opinion
Some will say he had to meld that talent - he didn't meld Kobe/Shaq or MJ
I draw a parallel with Jackson and Geno
The football coaches are different - more players and working parts.
Pop is deserving and in many respects K is, but not number one - K has had the pick of the litter and loses too many he should win
Must not be a baseball fan (while he claims to be a huge Rays follower) but there has to be a few you could throw in there.
What coach doesn't win with great players?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're all lunatics.

K and Auriemma are brilliant coaches. Their resumes are ridiculous and their teams win and win and win. And win.

I'd leave those two in the top five and quibble over the other three first. (I'd keep Belichick in there, too - I'd kill someone to have him coach the Vikings.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno is the best coach ever in his sport, and by a huge margin, so if you are going to make a best coach list I guess he belongs. The thing is though the entire concept is so random it's not meaningful. It's tough enough too rank people in the same sport from different eras. Now we are are going to frank coaches from different sports and different eras? It's top ramdom.

Reaction Score
You're all lunatics.

K and Auriemma are brilliant coaches. Their resumes are ridiculous and their teams win and win and win. And win.

I'd leave those two in the top five and quibble over the other three first. (I'd keep Belichick in there, too - I'd kill someone to have him coach the Vikings.)

Wow I'm guessing this is hoping to be one of your funniest posts right. Love Geno, he's a great "women" coach and built and incredible empire. But once it was built it was like having the US Army now go in to battle Rhode Island National Guard.

K on the other hand belongs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow I'm guessing this is hoping to be one of your funniest posts right. Love Geno, he's a great "women" coach and built and incredible empire. But once it was built it was like having the US Army now go in to battle Rhode Island National Guard.

K on the other hand belongs.

Stop.

It's not what he's coaching, it's how he coaches them.

If you give Geno five random basketball players of any ilk, he'll thrash the five random players of any ilk coached by whoever you'd like to set against him.

Reaction Score

How is it not easy to see that this list is top 5 active coaches. Soon Geno will have passed Wooden and Jackson for most basketball championships. In terms of parity, mens college basketball of the sixties / seventies is about equal to the womens college game now.

Reaction Score
Stop.

It's not what he's coaching, it's how he coaches them.

If you give Geno five random basketball players of any ilk, he'll thrash the five random players of any ilk coached by whoever you'd like to set against him.

Agree, women's coaches with women playing. Totally agree. But beyond that, while I think he could be a really good coach in the men's game too we don't know that. Way too easy to win in his world to try to figure that out.

Reaction Score
How is it not easy to see that this list is top 5 active coaches. Soon Geno will have passed Wooden and Jackson for most basketball championships. In terms of parity, mens college basketball of the sixties / seventies is about equal to the womens college game now.

Please! :confused:.....Geno's not even Jim Calhoun never mind John Wooden. Phil Jackson? Who cares he's overrated I would agree.

Reaction Score
People on Facebook and Twitter were all up in arms about this last week as well when it was obvious to me he was strictly talking about active coaches. He did clarify in one post as well I believe.

Reaction Score
Agree, women's coaches with women playing. Totally agree. But beyond that, while I think he could be a really good coach in the men's game too we don't know that. Way too easy to win in his world to try to figure that out.

If it's so easy to do it why doesn't everyone do it? You don't have to be a fan of women's basketball to recognize that any list of the best coaches has to have him featured prominently. You just can't ignore a resume that ridiculously impressive.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it's so easy to do it why doesn't everyone do it? You don't have to be a fan of women's basketball to recognize that any list of the best coaches has to have him featured prominently. You just can't ignore a resume that ridiculously impressive.

It's not just the wins for Geno either. He changed his sport for the better. In a game played worldwide, he's known worldwide as the best.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You're all lunatics.

Ok Mr. Sanity
If we are looking at resumes and win win win - why isn't Wooden in the argument?
Joe McCarthy? Casey Stengel?

This is ridiculous - you base this forseen ability on what? You give him 5 professional NBA players and give Greg Pop 5 professional NBA players, all 10 players being equal, and you're telling me that Geno is going to come out on top a majority of the time?

If you want to talk Geno as the top women's coach, I'll buy that. No argument except he has the majority of talent in the nation - hands down. In addition, he also has let championships slip away - but you can't argue his success in the women's college game. In my thinking, the women's college game is not nearly as competetive, involves the intense ego maintenance of the people you coach as the men's game or any pro sport.

I don't like these top lists when they involve mixing different catagories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom