Dick Vitale's Preseason Top 40 for 2013-14 | The Boneyard

Dick Vitale's Preseason Top 40 for 2013-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
there were others, NBC Sports(Dauster & Johnson) and Jon Rothstein didn't have UConn in their top 25(top 30 in the case of Rothstein).

Reaction Score
there were others, NBC Sports(Dauster & Johnson) and Jon Rothstein didn't have UConn in their top 25(top 30 in the case of Rothstein).
Rothstein has some good intel, but jeez is he annoying.

His whole "Player A has so much Player B in him" shtick is so tired

Reaction Score

I used to be a fan of his cuz he wasn't always as bad as he is now, but yea he's pretty much a caricature of himself at this point. He repeats the same phrases ad nauseum, the example you used, "so and so's play has been off the charts", "unknown player x is a burgeoning prospect", "player x is a poor man's ....", just the same on and on.

Reaction Score
Vitale's Top 40

Big East - 5 Teams (20, 22, 29, 33, 37)
ACC - 4 Teams (4, 9, 10, & 26)
AAC - 3 Teams (3, 13, & 17)

38 - 40 Colorado, Boise State, Oregon (had to check to make sure he was doing a basketball ranking)

Reaction Score
So much ah*le in Jon Rothstein....uncanny comparison

Reaction Score
O.K., I guess the CBSSports.com were the only ones and I guess I haven't seen all the preseason rankings. Were those other ones after the NBA draft entry deadline? Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Reaction Score

I'm John Rothstein and Tyler Olander has the exact same game as Troy Murphy. I also just had some of the best pork and veal meatballs floating in a mouthwatering red sauce. The eggplant rollatini is also amazing at this gem in Bensonhurst.

Reaction Score
Its not like we tore up the opposing teams last season. Many games we won were close and we had to fight like hell. And that was against ranked and non ranked teams. DD came on late, but we were a donut team all season, with no 'major' additions in the big department this upcoming season. We still have a new coach, and primarily the same roster as last season.

What I'm saying is that outsiders can do all the research they want but they will not know our potential and value like we fans, at least on an in-depth and knowledgeable basis. We know All American Bazz, and Boat are expected to perform at a top level. We know Calhoun and DD both if they improve and continue their consistent late season play we are so much better. Giffey is as solid on the bench as they come, and Olander and Wolf are wild cards. Add 3 Championship seniors, a deep bench, more bigs than ever before capable of rebounds, selective fouling, blocking shots, etc., some new young freshman blood that should be talented, and a Coach who knows (at least for one season) how to get ten toes in from his players.

We won 20 games on mostly blood, sweat and tears. That experience alone is extremely valuable going into next season.

I could add a lot more positives, but the bottom line is do outsiders know all of this? I would bet 'no'. Especially with no postseason exposure last season.

Consequently I expect not to see high ratings or raving reviews until January. Until then I will just laugh now while I anticipate proving them all wrong, and seeing our tear up the post season and get in the Final Four.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Vitale has Duke in the top 4... shocker

I wonder what's the lowest he ever had them ranked? I'm thinking 6 or 7

Reaction Score
That kind of surprises me about Rothstein because he always seems like one of the few that is pro UConn. Its still early and I expect to see us somewhere between 15-20 when the first real pre season top 25 comes out which is fair.

Reaction Score
So hard to predict how a team will pan out. Didn't see too many Wichita State in many preseason top 10's last year. I saw NC State and Kentucky though.

Some of these teams ranked ahead of us I see a lot of "Even though team (fill in the blank) loses 3 starters, they will still be dynamite". Well that remains to be seen. Many of these teams weren't that great last year to begin with and losing 3 starters is no small thing. You never know which freshman will shine and which will flop. Trey Burke was ranked where last year in comparison to Kentucky's freshmen?

Reaction Score
UConn at #17.

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/9234790/ -vitale-preseason-top-40-2013-14

Not that it matters at all, but the 2 dopes at CBSSports.com are still the only ones not to rank UConn.

Its ok were ranked where we are--BUT it is of MY opinion that we should be ranked much higher. We have tremendous diversity and just way way way more size than we had last year(remember Nolan barely played until the end and Wolf was suspended 1/2 the year) Really Daniels did not move to the 4 position late--and then avg 21-9-3 his last 4. We will very likely have a MUCH improved Nolan at 6-10 Wolf back at 7-1 Facey at 6-9 and Bridah at 7-0 (not even including Olander as well at 6-9) but there is real possibility IMHO that Daniels could be a star in the making Calhoun will be much better and injury free. Boatright and Napier will have another year under the belt. We ad guard depth in Samuels. We were 20-10 under serious adversity and massive injury/suspension problems. With experience depth size--does anyone see us losing more than 5 games? I mean we only lost 10 as is in a really good league and we played MIch sate NCST New Mexico etc.. out of division. we played a hard schedule and did very very well. I would think our team is a sleeper top 5.

Reaction Score
Vitale's Top 40

38 - 40 Colorado, Boise State, Oregon (had to check to make sure he was doing a basketball ranking)

Looking at the traditional top 25: :)
ACC - 3 Teams (4, 9, 10)
Big East - 2 Teams (20, 22)

Reaction Score
Vitale's Top 40

FYI all those teams made the tournament last year, one went to the sweet 16

Reaction Score
Pre-season ranking means very little to me, but can anyone tell me why Duke is being ranked top 5 on a lot of sites with a projected starting 5 of:

Quinn Cook
Rasheed Sulamon
Jabari Parker
Rodney Hood
Marshall Plumlee

but we're hovering around 15-20 because our lack of a front court? I would take our starting 5 over theirs all day

Reaction Score
I don't think that's necessarily their starting lineup, beyond probably Parker, Cook. (I think Rodney Hood is going to be very good.) They've got some other pieces in the mix, including Dawkins, who's back next year and will give the backcourt some competition. Amile Jefferson is going to be alright.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know you are desperate when counting Louisville in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Pre-season ranking means very little to me, but can anyone tell me why Duke is being ranked top 5 on a lot of sites with a projected starting 5 of:

Quinn Cook
Rasheed Sulamon
Jabari Parker
Rodney Hood
Marshall Plumlee

but we're hovering around 15-20 because our lack of a front court? I would take our starting 5 over theirs all day

They will need Murphy and Plumlee to get a lot better and the reality is Cook and Sulamon are inconsistent guards and the freshman will be pressed into big roles.......they will be lucky to be in the Top 20 when February arrives!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom