Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do agree that Kaminsky is overrated, he had a nice junior year after doing nothing his first two years and played great in the semifinal game, if he's the best player in College Basketball then this will be the worst year ever in College Basketball, he will be a big zero in the NBA.

Seriously, john, more hyperbole please.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Stone play, but I'm getting a Jared Sullinger vibe from the comments I'm reading here. Based on the description - skilled, polished, not overly explosive - I'm not sure we've ever had a player like him here. The last big highly ranked big man to commit here wasn't a roaring success, but he was a completely different player than Stone. Okafor didn't really become a reliable back-to-the-basket threat until his junior year, and even then, it was never the best part of his game. Thabeet and Oriakhi were never particularly skilled, and the '99 and '14 teams used more of a center by committee approach (though that's probably selling Jake short).

It would be really interesting to see what identity the team would assume with a player like him on board. Would it still be a guard-dominated attack, or would Ollie adapt? My bet would be on the latter, but it hasn't traditionally been the way we've played.

Reaction Score
Seriously, john, more hyperbole please.
Honestly don't think I was being hyperbolic, I called it a joke when Hansborough was Big East player of the year and Jimmer NPOY and I'm calling the hype for Kaminsky as NPOY a joke. He's improved a ton as evidenced by his 13.9 and 6.3 averages last year, way up from 1.8 and 1.4 his freshman year and 4.2 and 1.8 his sophomore year but still best player in College Basketball? If he's the best player in the country then it's a huge indictment on the college game. He's good but NPOY and I've heard people say he should be the #1 pick next year........in the words of Mike Tyson, that's ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Honestly don't think I was being hyperbolic, I called it a joke when Hansborough was Big East player of the year and Jimmer NPOY and I'm calling the hype for Kaminsky as NPOY a joke. He's improved a ton as evidenced by his 13.9 and 6.3 averages last year, way up from 1.8 and 1.4 his freshman year and 4.2 and 1.8 his sophomore year but still best player in College Basketball? If he's the best player in the country then it's a huge indictment on the college game. He's good but NPOY and I've heard people say he should be the #1 pick next year...in the words of Mike Tyson, that's ludicrous.

Hansborough had a great year at ND and deserved it……Jimmer had a super year at BYU and while we know Kemba deserved it, he was a very close 2nd……..nothing outrageous about either of these choices at all.

Hmmmmm…….Kaminsky-white, Jimmer-white, Hansborough-white - oh yeah how can they be any good?

Reaction Score
While I dont think he will be a bust by any means, I think peoples expectations are way too high. Many people here seem to think he would come right in and dominate. But how often do freshmen centers come in and dominate anywhere?

He is big, athletic and raw. He seems, to me, to dominate on the high school level with size and athletic ability. I dont think that alone is going to cut it on the college level. I would love to land him, and I think he has GREAT potential, but I do think expectations are way too high for a freshman center, and I think there will certainly be more of a learning curve than many others expect.

Agree. Look how nasty Drummond is, and he couldn't perform up to Anthony Davis level in school. Most really good bigs don't at that age. They require more time to develop their mobility. Davis was 14 and 10. Although, I'm not sure with better chemistry, more assertiveness and the ball slipped to him a few more times Drummond could not have done more. Diamond will come in and likely not dominate but could possibly be a 10 and 6 guy which is no shame for a freshman and I'd take it all day. He'd still be chastised, but freshmen shouldn't lead a Uconn team anyway. Just for not fouling out in that much time is a feat enough alone for a freshmen big. We've seen that up close. Then he could fall in the first round on size and potential alone. Gone are the days that you need to post 18 and 12 to get into the league. But you do need to do that for the yard to give him a break. He will not be a bust, unless you perceive anything less than 18 and 12 to be a bust for a top 10 kid.

Reaction Score
Hansborough had a great year at ND and deserved it……Jimmer had a super year at BYU and while we know Kemba deserved it, he was a very close 2nd……..nothing outrageous about either of these choices at all.

Hmmmmm…….Kaminsky-white, Jimmer-white, Hansborough-white - oh yeah how can they be any good?
Are you freaking serious, I don't give a if they are purple, Hansborough and Jimmer can't hold Kemba's jock. Yup, that's it I hate white basketball players.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin recruits a lot better than most people seem to realize. They aren't getting a ton of top 20 kids, but they get a lot of 4 * talent. They also played at a quick pace last year so that anecdote needs to die off. Stone would be very successful in either place.

I have heard different things about Stone. Two Boneyarders who actually watched Stone play in Dubai said they were surprised by how raw he was given his reputation. At the same time, that writer from SI, very analytical guy who is probably the best in the business, and whose name I'm forgetting said that Stone was more talented than Jahlil Okafor and has the best post moves since Cousins. Who really knows, he is a consensus 5 * regardless and I really really want him to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Are you freaking serious, I don't give a if they are purple, Hansborough and Jimmer can't hold Kemba's jock. Yup, that's it I hate white basketball players.

And they're crappy pro's but you can't take away what they did while in college. Your whole point is Kainsky can;t be the best player in college because he's going to be nothing in the NBA……..well this guys are/were too and they did some damn good things. Perception is these guys weren't as good as Kemba but reality is they were almost as good. In this case i realize KW got screwed twice but these guys deserved to be mentioned up there and weren't too far no matter what we think. So the whole "they couldn't hold anyone's jock" stuff is ridiculous……..they were good college players and it ended there. There's about 20 - 30 guys who were going to be better pro's the same year in college but it doesn't mean they impacted college the same way!

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
The Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook guy, Mark Miller, just flipped his pick from UConn back to Wisconsin.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Wisconsin recruits a lot better than most people seem to realize. They aren't getting a ton of top 20 kids, but they get a lot of 4 * talent. They also played at a quick pace last year so that anecdote needs to die off. Stone would be very successful in either place.

I have heard different things about Stone. Two Boneyarders who actually watched Stone play in Dubai said they were surprised by how raw he was given his reputation. At the same time, that writer from SI, very analytical guy who is probably the best in the business, and whose name I'm forgetting said that Stone was more talented than Jahlil Okafor and has the best post moves since Cousins. Who really knows, he is a consensus 5 * regardless and I really really want him to be a Husky.

I would love to see him come as well. It would be really fun for a change of pace (not that there's anything to complain about, of course) to have a big who was both big (unlike Jeff Adrien in that way) and who had some good inside offense skills. He could add a big dimension in creating open shots for others. I think it would be cool to have a player who can reliably make jumphooks or kiss it off the backboard to score. One thing that is clear on the videos of Stone is that he has nice quickness when making a spin move on the baseline to get around the defender and ending in a dunk.

Reaction Score
And they're crappy pro's but you can't take away what they did while in college. Your whole point is Kainsky can;t be the best player in college because he's going to be nothing in the NBA……..well this guys are/were too and they did some damn good things. Perception is these guys weren't as good as Kemba but reality is they were almost as good. In this case i realize KW got screwed twice but these guys deserved to be mentioned up there and weren't too far no matter what we think. So the whole "they couldn't hold anyone's jock" stuff is ridiculous……..they were good college players and it ended there. There's about 20 - 30 guys who were going to be better pro's the same year in college but it doesn't mean they impacted college the same way!
My point was never that Kaminsky can't be the best player in college because he's going to do nothing in the NBA, please don't put words in my mouth. I did say he will be a zero in the NBA but never said that was the reason why I think he's overrated. Yes Jimmer and Hansborough were good college players and they also couldn't hold Kemba's jock.

Reaction Score
The Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook guy, Mark Miller, just flipped his pick from UConn back to Wisconsin.
ruh oh. i trust that guy . seriously though

Reaction Score
OK so stone might want to stay close to home. we need to sign that guy in our neck of the woods. want stone so bad though...

Reaction Score
While I dont think he will be a bust by any means, I think peoples expectations are way too high. Many people here seem to think he would come right in and dominate. But how often do freshmen centers come in and dominate anywhere?

He is big, athletic and raw. He seems, to me, to dominate on the high school level with size and athletic ability. I dont think that alone is going to cut it on the college level. I would love to land him, and I think he has GREAT potential, but I do think expectations are way too high for a freshman center, and I think there will certainly be more of a learning curve than many others expect.
Yup, it is one of those things you never know until he gets here and plays with experienced and older Div. 1 players.
It is easy to develop bad habits when things come easy as they do for big and athletic players in HS. That said, I think he will be an incredible college player.

Reaction Score
My point was never that Kaminsky can't be the best player in college because he's going to do nothing in the NBA, please don't put words in my mouth. I did say he will be a zero in the NBA but never said that was the reason why I think he's overrated. Yes Jimmer and Hansborough were good college players and they also couldn't hold Kemba's jock.

"I do agree that Kaminsky is overrated, he had a nice junior year after doing nothing his first two years and played great in the semifinal game, if he's the best player in College Basketball then this will be the worst year ever in College Basketball, he will be a big zero in the NBA."

I must have misunderstood you up above……unless of course you agree with it's going to be the worst college basketball season ever? But I am so sorry for putting words into your mouth!:oops:

Reaction Score
"I do agree that Kaminsky is overrated, he had a nice junior year after doing nothing his first two years and played great in the semifinal game, if he's the best player in College Basketball then this will be the worst year ever in College Basketball, he will be a big zero in the NBA."

I must have misunderstood you up above……unless of course you agree with it's going to be the worst college basketball season ever? But I am so sorry for putting words into your mouth!:oops:
"Your whole point is Kainsky can;t be the best player in college because he's going to be nothing in the NBA." I never said anything even close to this. I said Kaminsky is a good player but overrated and it's a huge indictment on college hoops if he's the best player in the nation. I also said he won't do anything in the NBA but that has nothing to do with his college play.

caw

Reaction Score
IMO, Stone does better in half court game (like most skilled bigs). Not sure about the games in Dubai, or whatever, but he does pretty well in the half court posting up. He's not super athletic, and I'm going I stick with Brand as my comparison (though I'm not sure he has Brands absurd arm length).

Reaction Score

Jimmer averaged 29 a game his senior year in college, let's not act like him winning NPOY was some sort of crime. Yes, Kemba was better, but when the voting occurred UConn was on a downward spiral.

Reaction Score
IMO, Stone does better in half court game (like most skilled bigs). Not sure about the games in Dubai, or whatever, but he does pretty well in the half court posting up. He's not super athletic, and I'm going I stick with Brand as my comparison (though I'm not sure he has Brands absurd arm length).

Elton Brand Wingspan: 7'5"
Diamond Stone Wingspan: 7'3"

Close enough haha

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Jimmer averaged 29 a game his senior year in college, let's not act like him winning NPOY was some sort of crime. Yes, Kemba was better, but when the voting occurred UConn was on a downward spiral.

He was offense only though. I took exception to that. And the difference between their respective leagues was light years apart. Kemba got jobbed imo.

Reaction Score
Some updates and quotes from Wisconsin's 2 4 7 article on Diamond Stone (quotes from his dad):

On his top five:
“We liked the coaches at all five,” Bob Stone, Diamond’s father said. “We were looking for hands-on coaches. We were looking for coaches that would hold him accountable and coaches that would push him.”

On Diamond's decision date:
“We’ve been really diligent with this process and we’re not going to rush it now,” Stone said. “We’re going to take our time. If it works out and we can do a November date, then fine. But if it doesn't, it’s not a priority.”

Scheduling official visits:
“We should be working that out soon,” Stone said. “We’ll probably be getting out there. We’ll try and make all five hopefully before Christmas.”

Biggest factor in choosing a school:
"It will probably be about his relationship with the coach, number one," said Stone. "Most of these universities have top flight facilities, some of these universities are the best in the world. Most of these schools have great alumni, which is important for after he's done. It really boils down to the coach, his chemistry with the coach, and how I feel about the coach. We're looking for someone that's going to make Diamond improve and that's going to force him to improve. We're looking for someone that's going to push him."

On Wisconsin:
"Wisconsin is a great school," said Stone. "They have great alumni. His family will be close and can go to all his home games. Bo (Bo Ryan) is the winningest coach in the Big Ten. They have a great trainer there who came over from the Chicago Bulls. He trained Michael Jordan. He's a great guy. Diamond likes the Kohl Center. He's had a lot of success there. Bo is no-nonsense. I like that."

"We didn't go for titles," Stone said. "We were going for a coach that we thought was the best for Diamond. Bo never gets the McDonald's All-Americans, but he always makes due with what he's got. His guys improve year-to-year. We really weren't looking at the glitter. He's the winningest coach in the Big Ten."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of things that has been said to be working in Wisconsin's favor is Bob Stone's relationship with Bo Ryan, and that comes through in the quotes about Wisconsin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"We didn't go for titles," Stone said. "We were going for a coach that we thought was the best for Diamond. Bo never gets the McDonald's All-Americans, but he always makes due with what he's got. His guys improve year-to-year. We really weren't looking at the glitter. He's the winningest coach in the Big Ten."

Hmmn, don't like that "didn't go for titles." As for the "winningest coach in the Big Ten" thing that's like saying you are taking the cutest girl in AV club to the prom. Here's a tip, if you have the opportunity go with the hot cheerleader.

Reaction Score

Hmmn, don't like that "didn't go for titles." As for the "winningest coach in the Big Ten" thing that's like saying you are taking the cutest girl in AV club to the prom. Here's a tip, if you have the opportunity go with the hot cheerleader.
LMAO and like KO loads up with McDAAs every year....

I actually find the first bit kind of encouraging, in that KO is being considered, even with his NC held aside, a good enough coach for one of the top players in the class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom