Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe we offer this kid if we strike out with our other prospects. Nicola Akele (wing/2015). Just winging it at this point no pun intended. lol

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've never heard a word about UConn and Akele, but they've exhausted all of their other possibilities.

They made a run on about 10-15 of 'em and came up empty.

Reaction Score
I've never heard a word about UConn and Akele, but they've exhausted all of their other possibilities.

They made a run on about 10-15 of 'em and came up empty.

Disappointing to say the least. I really wanted Adams the most from this class and so pleased we have him, but so much effort on guys only to come in 2nd or 3rd. Staff needs a closer (other than KO) in the worst way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The longer it goes, the better for the home team.

I agree with 99.
I'm not so sure. If you going for the hometown school, why not announce early? It's a popular pick locally. If, however, you are jilting State-U, you probably want to wait until spring to let the local villagers know. Less time for them to grab the pitch forks and torches.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Girlfriend is heading there also I read or is already a freshman.

I think this is slipping through our fingers.
More a hunch from talking to a few people. I could as usual be way off
Girlfriend? Pleassse......... Diamond's gonna have Grade A quality tail wherever he goes, unless it happens to be some "star-crossed lovers" type ish, this GF has little to no chance.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. If you going for the hometown school, why not announce early? It's a popular pick locally. If, however, you are jilting State-U, you probably want to wait until spring to let the local villagers know. Less time for them to grab the pitch forks and torches.

No - exactly the opposite.

No one but no one but no one is out there telling Stone to go to UConn.

The problem with being the away school is that you're recruiting for yourself while every other person that kid comes into contact with is recruiting for the home team.

If this goes until spring, (it won't), you can cross UConn off now.

Reaction Score
What I want to know is why everyone thinks they know where he's going by when he is deciding it is all a guess

Reaction Score
No - exactly the opposite.

No one but no one but no one is out there telling Stone to go to UConn.

The problem with being the away school is that you're recruiting for yourself while every other person that kid comes into contact with is recruiting for the home team.

If this goes until spring, (it won't), you can cross UConn off now.

He knows everything he needs to know about Wisky - the state, the school, the team, the program, the coaches. The only reason to delay a decision is because he is not sure it's the right one. I would also think that the longer it goes, the less certain he is, and the higher our odds.

While no one is telling him to go to UConn, there is SOME reason he hasn't committed yet.

Reaction Score
husky system requires maturity

history shows staff wastes major chunks recruiting time in high schools with fickle immatures

spend more productive time on jucos and foreign talent with correct maturation to match system

samiamjr is good case study; lets have more; eastern euro dudes are perfect, guys from berlin too, any doves on planet still, open door for more beets and brimahs and souleymens, okwandews, sirs, ; jamaka be nice, paris better, bolster intl relations wit some rooskies rookies also; any hundred pts dudes in borders of neighbors to north

Reaction Score
Next?

The problem is that there is no next. If they aren't careful they might next the program into oblivion. People are saying we need a closer on the staff. What that really means is that we need someone that can take the escalator without being seen.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
People are saying we need a closer on the staff. What that really means is that we need someone that can take the escalator without being seen.

If we want to start landing a bunch of five-stars, sure. I like the formula UConn has had for awhile now, even beyond when Calhoun was landing studs consistently: find the guys that will put ten toes in, might not be dominant as freshman, but by the end of their career, are as good as anyone in the game, and who have the experience to lead their team to the promised land. Next year's team is going to be absolutely stacked; the only way we're not is if two of Purvis, Hamilton, and Brimah go pro, and even then we should be very good.

Reaction Score
If we want to start landing a bunch of five-stars, sure. I like the formula UConn has had for awhile now, even beyond when Calhoun was landing studs consistently: find the guys that will put ten toes in, might not be dominant as freshman, but by the end of their career, are as good as anyone in the game, and who have the experience to lead their team to the promised land. Next year's team is going to be absolutely stacked; the only way we're not is if two of Purvis, Hamilton, and Brimah go pro, and even then we should be very good.
When Calhoun was landing studs consistently he had a great staff to back him up....Clyde Vaughn and Tom Moore helped a lot in landing those kids.

Reaction Score
When Calhoun was landing studs consistently he had a great staff to back him up....Clyde Vaughn and Tom Moore helped a lot in landing those kids.

I wonder about the studs though. Who were they?

Rudy Gay is the one I can remember.

Donyell Marshall and Rip Hamilton.

Anyone else?

Caron Butler was a prep, and UConn battled UNLV for him.

UConn lost a lot of battles in those Tom Moore years.

Post-Moore, UConn has landed kids like Deandre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton. Jalen Adams too.

All highly ranked top 25 kids. Well, 3 of them at least.

Reaction Score

Anyone else?

Post-Moore, UConn has landed kids like Deandre Daniels and Daniel Hamilton. Jalen Adams too.

Josh Boone, Denham Brown, Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, Marcus Williams, Hilton Armstrong, Okafor....not sure about the rest but I know for a fact that Clyde was instrumental in getting Charlie V, Ed Nelson, and Josh. Not sure who Moore helped get.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The problem is that there is no next. If they aren't careful they might next the program into oblivion. People are saying we need a closer on the staff. What that really means is that we need someone that can take the escalator without being seen.

So we just won a championship and we're threatened with oblivion because we only landed Adams and Enoch? Seriously?

I realize you're exaggerating but it still shows a serious lack of perspective.

You're new but already fitting in with the doom & gloom contingent.

Reaction Score
Josh Boone, Denham Brown, Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, Marcus Williams, Hilton Armstrong, Okafor....not sure about the rest but I know for a fact that Clyde was instrumental in getting Charlie V, Ed Nelson, and Josh. Not sure who Moore helped get.

None of those guys other than Charlie were top 10 or top 15 recruits. And Charlie was a special circumstance given his commitments to Kansas and Illinois, and his late futzing around.

In other words, UConn grabbing kids like Adams, Hamilton, Napier, Oriakhi, Enoch, Daniels (and heck if Ed Nelson is listed, Rodney Purvis should be too) post Moore is similar to the names listed above.

The comparisons should be to Gay, Rip, Donyell, who were the really big gets of the last 15 years before Ollie came on the scene. The dropoff in recruiting will happen if they can't land big names like that. I'm still a little uncertain if D. Hamilton qualifies, he's on the edge of being a blue-chipper on Rip/Yell/Rudy's level. Diamond Stone certainly qualifies.

Reaction Score

There is always a next. It's November for crying out loud. The idea that there aren't any players left is crazy. If we get Stone, anybody else in this class would be a complete luxury. If we don't get Stone, you'll be hearing about Uconn reaching out to other guys in no time (we've already heard about Dorsey).

Reaction Score
So we just won a championship and we're threatened with oblivion because we only landed Adams and Enoch? Seriously?

I realize you're exaggerating but it still shows a serious lack of perspective.

You're new but already fitting in with the doom & gloom contingent.
Exactly! And, given he's more likely to stay beyond 1 year, I think Enoch might end up being more important than Stone. Not saying I don't want Stone, but - if he's only a one and done, I prefer to focus on the team-building type players. This team is still going to be plenty talented, and we shouldn't forget the 2011 freshman class was ranked about 21. In other words - we're not going to squander talent, but to amplify it. If we miss out on anybody - who cares? We'll get a hungrier husky.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Everyone is assuming one and done for Stone, but has anyone actually asked him what he wants to do? I have no idea myself.

Reaction Score
Everyone is assuming one and done for Stone, but has anyone actually asked him what he wants to do? I have no idea myself.

Draft Express has Diamond Stone going #3 overall already. Seems like a lock for lottery regardless when he comes out. One would just presume he takes the money

Reaction Score
Exactly! And, given he's more likely to stay beyond 1 year, I think Enoch might end up being more important than Stone. Not saying I don't want Stone, but - if he's only a one and done, I prefer to focus on the team-building type players. This team is still going to be plenty talented, and we shouldn't forget the 2011 freshman class was ranked about 21. In other words - we're not going to squander talent, but to amplify it. If we miss out on anybody - who cares? We'll get a hungrier husky.

The Enoch point is very true. I would LOVE Stone, but I think Enoch could very easily be our center once Amida leaves. There are so few true 5's anymore so Enoch could easily slide into that spot. He's a huge get.

Reaction Score

Anyone else?

Without Tom Moore AJ Price and Kemba would have went elsewhere.

Both of their parents said Moore was instrumental and a huge reason they decided on UConn.

Reaction Score
Has it been confirmed at this point that Stone isn't announcing tomorrow? I know the insiders here have said an announcement is not imminent, but have the Stone's actually come out and said this or is it speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom