Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 47 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stone would likely be a better low post scorer even as a freshman. He's more polished offensively.

Possibly, but I disagree with the premise that we're in dire need of low post offense. Brimah is coming along just fine, and by next season, he'll be more than adequate as a post up threat on the block (and he might be already).

We don't even know if Stone and Brimah can play together. While I'd love to have Stone on the roster, he's definitely more of a luxury than a necessity at this point. I'd be surprised if Stone is better as a freshman than Brimah is as a junior.

Reaction Score
Possibly, but I disagree with the premise that we're in dire need of low post offense. Brimah is coming along just fine, and by next season, he'll be more than adequate as a post up threat on the block (and he might be already).

We don't even know if Stone and Brimah can play together. While I'd love to have Stone on the roster, he's definitely more of a luxury than a necessity at this point. I'd be surprised if Stone is better as a freshman than Brimah is as a junior.

I don't even think playing them together is a priority. Not when our bigs can't manage more than 20-25 minutes a game. Right now, we're light at the 4 and 5. Last night, against Bryant no less, was a clear sign that we need more bigs, especially bigs that have any offense whatsoever. Not sure what you saw last night that gave you confidence, but I was kind of down with all the bigs except for Facey and his rebounding.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't even think playing them together is a priority. Not when our bigs can't manage more than 20-25 minutes a game. Right now, we're light at the 4 and 5. Last night, against Bryant no less, was a clear sign that we need more bigs, especially bigs that have any offense whatsoever. Not sure what you saw last night that gave you confidence, but I was kind of down with all the bigs except for Facey and his rebounding.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I thought Brimah dominated the second half of that game (albeit against a low-major) - he completely changed the game defensively. As far as his offensive game is concerned, it's obviously a work in progress, but what were you expecting? We all knew coming in that this was going to be the second step of a three year plan. He's already displayed decent touch on his right-handed hook when he's able to get close enough to the basket, and yesterday, he showed a great counter move along the right baseline by drop stepping and swinging around for a dunk. When you have solid touch, a couple inches over just about all of your opponents, and developing foot work, it's a matter of when not if he puts it together.

I suppose I'm just not nearly concerned as you are about the front court. Nolan is what he is - bad game yesterday, but no reason to think he can't be perfectly serviceable as a third big. Of course I would love to add Stone to the rotation, but we'll be just fine with what we have.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

We're not in "dire need" of anything, let alone low post offense (we did win 3 of our 4 NC's without a major low post offensive threat; after all).

We are "in need" of as many good players as we can recruit, like every other team.

Irrespective of whether Amida stays or goes, improves massively or modestly, Diamond Stone would be a great addition to the program.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I agree with the school of thought the longer it goes on the better it is for the home team.
Another observation - my HS daughter and her friends hatch plans - then the longer the time frame - the more parental involvement - and the more those plans change or do not happen at all.

Serious Question: May we assume, on the few occasions that you don't begin a post with "quite frankly," that your post will be something less than fully candid?

Reaction Score
As far as his offensive game is concerned, it's obviously a work in progress, but what were you expecting?

All I expect is for the defense to double down when the ball goes into the blocks, and the big is then capable of finding the open man.

I want to see better spacing for our skill guys.

Reaction Score
We're not in "dire need" of anything, let alone low post offense (we did win 3 of our 4 NC's without a major low post offensive threat; after all).

We are "in need" of as many good players as we can recruit, like every other team.

Irrespective of whether Amida stays or goes, improves massively or modestly, Diamond Stone would be a great addition to the program.

All of that is true. I just think we tend to lose sight of what's already in the program when we're in the thick of these recruiting battles. For all we know, we could have our entire team back next season aside from Boatright.

Reaction Score
Brimah was good in the 2nd half not great, against Bryant. He's going to get better but constantly bobbling and missing easy rebounds makes me believe it won't hurt to have Diamond Stone next to him in 2015 and then some! We can't fall into the AB's "great" theory because there's a long way to go. There will be flashes of brilliance but there will also be people in the ledge this year. Hopefully because of the loss of this summer, it only takes the 1st semester end to have him feeling confident although I wouldn't bank on it. He's valuable as hell but we need to temper what he is right now!

Reaction Score
All I expect is for the defense to double down when the ball goes into the blocks, and the big is then capable of finding the open man.

I want to see better spacing for our skill guys.

On a bad night in your eyes Brimah was 6-9 shooting with 12 points (28 minutes/5 blocks). Spacing issues are rarely Brimah's fault. Any lack of offensive efficiency you have alluded to has not come with the added peril of Brimah being out of position very often. Most of the time he is in position where he can score or is a threat to score using the skill set he presently possesses. Brimah has not often got in the way of penetrating guards. Instead he has made himself readily available to finish at the rim.

AB needs real time game reps to develop the other aspects of his offensive game. All reports before the season were positive relating to his development and work ethic. Remember per KO it is all "a process".

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
On a bad night in your eyes Brimah was 6-9 shooting with 12 points (28 minutes/5 blocks). Spacing issues are rarely Brimah's fault. Any lack of offensive efficiency you have alluded to has not come with the added peril of Brimah being out of position very often. Most of the time he is in position where he can score or is a threat to score using the skill set he presently possesses. Brimah has not often got in the way of penetrating guards. Instead he has made himself readily available to finish at the rim.

AB needs real time game reps to develop the other aspects of his offensive game. All reports before the season were positive relating to his development and work ethic. Remember per KO it is all "a process".

Agree about game reps, just essential for Amida to calm down and play a little slower. If he can do that, he will catch more of these passes and get more comfortable making plays. Right now, he looks like he is going to need some time to get the reps he needs to be better able to think the game.

Reaction Score

All those fouls, all the bobbles, potential turnovers, etc. There is a need for a skilled big like Stone.

Just to be clear here, I am a huge Brimah fan, and I've been raving about the kid since I first saw him in game 1 last year.

But I'm trying to be a realist as well. UConn does not throw it into the low post with any consistency because we don't have anyone who can handle that sort of responsibility yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn does not throw it into the low post with any consistency because we don't have anyone who can handle that sort of responsibility yet.

Essentially, UConn never tries to feed the low post. They did it once in the title game against Kentucky and they might have done it a couple of times last night - it's just not a part of the offense because Brimah/Nolan really do not have the skill set.

For all the athleticism he shows, Brimah would lose minutes to a post-prospect with that kind of ability.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
[QUOTprobably an old who never played before or better yet sat the bench and cheered like FemaleChusky916, post: 1120343, member: 1222"]Just... stop. Quit while you're behind.

Honestly, I HOPE you're a troll or 8 years old or something because if you're not, you're probably the dumbest poster I've seen on this board... which is saying something.

Perhaps. But my guess is whoever you were quoting was able to do so without fuking up the quoting of his post.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I love Brimah. His hustle, his attitude, his protecting the rim.
But if you are saying his offensive performance against, basically 3 division II teams proves we don't need another big I disagree. We all hope Brimah has a break-out season, but we don't know that yet. He and Phil are both foul-prone. Stone would improve our front court immediately.

Reaction Score
We won't know either way about Brimah until around March or April anyways at the earliest. Will Diamond be waiting that long?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Brimah is gone after this season
Well that would undermine the posters who think we don't need Stone. But I think we should see Brimah play at least 1 game against real competition before we send him to the NBA.

Reaction Score
If stone commits he is playing next to brimah its that simple. you don't bench brimah who you've cultivated into a lottery prospect from nowhere. stone isn't some fat slow dude who only plays back to the basket. think uf with noah/horford. gasol/bynum. etc. there is no reason to throw shade at brimahs abilities, no need for scoffing at the idea he can go pro.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
James,
Not scoffing at Brimah's talent. I think he goes to the NBA,
I'm scoffing at putting him in the NBA after this year based on his play against 2 division II teams and Bryant. To be honest, we don't know how much he improved over last year yet.
I think it is likely he will need a Junior year, but really there is nothing to base that on yet beyond his raw athleticism and geat motor & attitude. Scoring 12 against Bryant doesn't convince me as much as it may have convinced B1GEAST

Reaction Score
James,
Not scoffing at Brimah's talent. I think he goes to the NBA,
I'm scoffing at putting him in the NBA after this year based on his play against 2 division II teams and Brhe yant. To be honest, we don't know how much he improved over last year yet.
I think it is likely he will need a Junior year, but really there is nothing to base that on yet beyond his raw athleticism and geat motor & attitude. Scoring 12 against Bryant doesn't convnce me as much as it may have convinced B1GEAST

it's not about bryant, I just have a gut feeling he's going to the nba, he might be inconsistent this year, but you can't teach size and athleticism. He has the physical tools just like Drummond did, and Drummond didn't dominate the year he left.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Brimah is gone after this season
Don't put money on that. Still raw. But we'll know when March comes round which way that wind will blow, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom