Diamond Deshields to UNC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diamond wants to "Be herself" at UNC. Translation: I want to play for a coach who's gonna let me do what I want & not hold me accountable to tons of pressure at performing at the next level because I've been told that I'm really good my entire life.

Whatever works I guess. lol

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This sucks. That is all.

Uconn didn't necessarily need the very top kids this cycle, but bodies are a must. At least two of Harper, McCall and Chong would be good. And if we miss on more than one of those, not sure what Geno's/CD's next steps are.

Reaction Score
You can't understand a top talent wanting to go to a program where they can be undisciplined? The flip side of undisciplined tends to be FREEDOM in a players' minds. I don't think it is a good decision, but I can certainly understand how an athlete like DeShields can see UNC's style of play as attractive. Where we may see sloppy play, they often see the freedom to run around at 800 miles per hour.

It will be fine. Never expected any kind of wow class. Interesting comment from DD saying that UNC will be the place where she can be herself "on and off the court."

She will be closer to family but I cannot understand top talent wanting to play for Sylvia. Everything they do is so undisciplined.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Diamond wants to "Be herself" at UNC. Translation: I want to play for a coach who's gonna let me do what I want & not hold me accountable to tons of pressure at performing at the next level because I've been told that I'm really good my entire life.

Whatever works I guess. lol
Probably an untrue comment and definitely an unnecessary one.

Reaction Score
Agreed!

UConn isn't for everyone. And, there are more things about choosing a college program then just basketball. Maybe she likes the atmosphere of UNC more. Maybe she hates cold weather, etc there are so many factors. Winning Championship is obviously a goal, but what if she is miserable outside of basketball (all hypothetical). Maybe she wants the challenge of bringing back UNC to prominence.

Reaction Score
I can't say I'm disappointed because I never for a second really thought DeShields would choose UConn so I never invested in her coming to UConn. She just never struck me as a player that would feel pulled to UConn by either her personality or style of play. When I would watch her play she never made me think, "That's a UConn player." I believe the kids who feel pulled to UConn usually have that in their style of play.

And because I never thought she was coming, I'm glad she decided this early so that it clarifies the recruiting picture for both UConn and the players considering UConn.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It wasn't that long ago when UNC was ranked #1 in the country with that great team of Latta/Larkins/Little. Many players who are now seniors in high school may remember that team as being particularly fun to watch.

Reaction Score
There is that factor. Rebecca Lobo has said she chose UConn because she didn't want to go to a program at the top, she wanted to feel like she made a difference in a program improving. That has always struck me because if you take her at word then she may not have come to UConn if she was a high school player today.

While I personally think Hatchell's limitations are obvious she still has won a national championship and went to consecutive Final Fours as recently at 2006 and 2007. It is not impossible to win there.

Agreed!

UConn isn't for everyone. And, there are more things about choosing a college program then just basketball. Maybe she likes the atmosphere of UNC more. Maybe she hates cold weather, etc there are so many factors. Winning Championship is obviously a goal, but what if she is miserable outside of basketball (all hypothetical). Maybe she wants the challenge of bringing back UNC to prominence.

Reaction Score

"Probably" is the key word that you said. I don't want DD not picking UCONN to seem like I'm upset because I can care less but I know programs and she will fly under the radar at UNC. Maryland or UT would have been choices I wouldn't have been mad at but the ACC is weak & once again, Hatchell has not had any caliber players like DD & she doesn't produce good pros. Check the records.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I must say that I too am not shocked. It seems rare that we hear of players getting that much attention from UConn that early and not making the early decision if they have serious interest in UConn at all. Now, it doesn't always mean it ends up working out the best- EDD, Samarie. Davis is still available. That would be a huge coup, but I don't see someone that at one time was committed to the orange making the big leap to National Flag Blue. Our frontline situation allows us to have a less than stellar front line group from the '13 class. McCall would still be great but reloading with Harper and Chong may be best to help bulk up the backcourt.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Whoa!
Per Hoopgurlz:
@HoopGurlz: Diamond DeShields commits to North Carolina. Visit http://post original url/b8K27iNQ shortly for details.
I must say Im very surprised she didnt commit to UConn. SHocked is more like it. Kids change their minds and from reading the article she changed hers. She wants a little more freedom and thinks she will get it at UNC. Uconn is loaded, and I think that had something to do with it too. Good luck to her.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
That's a bad move IMO. Sylvia Hatchell's offense is suspect. They get worked by UCONN every single year.

Not every year, but in the last few years, definitely.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not that I think Sylvia is a really great coach at this point in her career, but her record isn't chopped liver either. And yes, she gets a lot of wins against the little sisters of the poor, but, that isn't new and has certainly worked for her at times.

She is at least partly on the list that includes Coach Peck and Brenda - their winning National Championships just proves to me that winning a NC is not a mandatory sign of greatness.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I was looking through the Hoopgurlz site and noticed the UNC has like 6 recruits now for 2013. Stephanie Mavunga and Jessica Washington are now listed.

My question is, didnt the Day sisters de commit from the Tar Heels last year or am I thinking of something else?

Does anyone remember?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to UNC. bummed and surprised, but it's nice to see UNC recruiting well again. i wonder if part of it is due to the poaching of Tricia Stafford-Odom. UNC is a fun team to watch. when they have the talent, their run and gun offense is fast paced and exciting...

Reaction Score
so who will e the first person uconn offers... this might just be a repeat of what the class after diana taurasi came to uconn

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
DD must like cupcakes.

Seriously, I wish her all the best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Surprising to me in 3 regards: (1) not UConn; (2) UNC!; and (3) the timing. I thought she was going to announce in the fall.

Though I would not choose Jermy's wording, I think part of the sentiment is spot-on. At UNC, Diamond will get immediate PT, be the best player on the team immediately, and have more freedom to do what she wants on the court.

She also said that she wanted to play with a great PG. Who is the great PG at UNC? Playing at UNC is so different than UConn. It sounds as if UConn would have been a bad fit for Diamond. Best wishes to her. UNC has moved back among the ranked teams.

Reaction Score
Perhaps the great point she was talking about was Jessica Washington. It's said that all three committed during a joint conference call.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting that no one has mentioned anything about a package deal? In this year of slow recruiting commits, to get three top players committing on the same days is interesting - to get them all committing to the same team is very interesting? Are there any obvious connections between the three?
Disappointed but not surprised. UNC is not a bad choice, there offense has always been free-flowing, it has been the defense that is generally suspect.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Perhaps the great point she was talking about was Jessica Washington. It's said that all three committed during a joint conference call.
Could well be. She may be a close friend too. But she is not ranked extremely high, nor is she proven at the college level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom