Diaco One Game Head Coach Learnin' Thread | The Boneyard

Diaco One Game Head Coach Learnin' Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm chilling listening to some vintage Allman Brothers so I'm in a mellow mood, so here it goes.

1. It was cool/cute/neat going for the fake on the first FG, but bottom line was the coaching staff left 9 points off the board tonight. It didn't matter tonight, but special teams matter and building up confidence of the FG unit will matter later on this season.

2. WR's need to fight for every pass. Hands extended. Fight. Casey could've been better But no excuses for having a DB come across your torso and knocking a ball down. That's entirely effort. The WR's failed at least four times tonight fighting for balls in their hands.

3. Pick a QB. Bob, you're now an executive. Executives have to make decisions and have to look legitimate talent in the face and say, thanks but no thanks. Pick Casey or Chandler and stick with it.

4. Wasn't expecting this, BUT, Max looked the weakest out of the group of RB's. Marriner, Newsome and Johnson all looked more explosive and more dynamic. They looked like threats that opponents have to account for any time they line up. Max, not so much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Stay in that mood Chin. Concise and on the money.

Only part of the team I wanted to see fight more.

Stretch them arms and fight. I'm somewhat, as in totally sympathetic towards. street fighters. Gimme the guys that win alley fights and rock fights any day.

F-it. Gimme Jeff Adrien as my WR coach.

Reaction Score
The 2 QB thing had me shaking my head all night. Thought overall Cochran looked better, Whitmer still reacting to pressure that isn't really there. Too many dropped passes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wonder if part of the reason for twin QB's that CC hasn't done enough in practice to settle the issue. He surely didn't do enough in the game. He missed wide-open guys.

Reaction Score
The 2 QB thing had me shaking my head all night. Thought overall Cochran looked better, Whitmer still reacting to pressure that isn't really there. Too many dropped passes.

Yeah, he reminded me of McEntee in that regard.

Reaction Score
I get that we were over-matched against a very good team with an exceptional college quarterback. But really, Diaco needs to decide what he wants to do, go with a youth movement and take the consequences or go with what he has and try to win a few games. But in either case he has to approach it as a real game. This playing 50 guys is what NFL coaches do in the first pre-season game. It almost felt like he tried to get everyone in the game so he wouldn't have to hear from their moms afterward. And if you are going to treat these non-conference games, against name opponents as exhibition games, let the fans know, and charge $10 a head rather than full price. Makes scheduling easy, too. URI, UMass, Akron, FIU. Rinse. Repeat. You still have a shot at winning, you can let everyone play, and nobody's mom will yell at you in the parking lot because Jr didn't get in the game.
Other points:
Oline. They were overmatched a few times, and sometimes made mistakes, but they mostly kept the d off the quarterback. Welcome back Coach Foley.
Running backs can't be judged on 3 or 5 carries. Pick one or 2 and give them 15 carries each. Find out who is for real and who isn't. We played 4 running backs who had 9,9,3 and 3 carries each. And nobody had any chance to develop a rhythm. I thought Marriner looked decent, but he barely touched the ball in the 2nd half-- 3 carries.
Quarterbacks. Stop the Madness! Pick somebody and let him play. And for heaven sakes, if he's driving the team don't pull him when he gets them into the red zone!!! Whitmer is a big boy. His mom isn't going to yell at you in the meat aisle at Stop & Shop because you didn't put him in. And sometimes people aren't going to like you, sometimes even your own players won't. that goes with the territory.
I had the feeling from very early in this one that UConn didn't come to play. They came to try out. Winning that game was going to be a stretch, no doubt. But really, if you don't think the upper classmen have what it takes, won't take you very far, by all means go with youth and take you lumps. But just do it. And stand up and say that's what your doing. I found last night very frustrating, and only partly because we could't figure out BYU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom