Diaco is starting to rub me the wrong way | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco is starting to rub me the wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"It’s not about winning and losing games. That mission and a job well done on that mission of cultivating and developing young men is what drives me personally and it has been for some time"

You want to help college kids become better people, that's cool. But what I want, as a season ticket holder and Alumnus, is wins. I want to see heads rolling. I want to see other teams come into our house and leave wishing they never came.

Make these young men into great people. Fine but I honestly dont care. They will grow up one way or another. We all have.

Show me winning football and save the hippie crap for your Kumbaya circles.
Give me some Mike Ditka fire, give me some Gruden stares. For the love of God, give us hard nosed football not tree hugging.

Just sayin.

--C

I choose to focus on another portion of that speech. The part that his focus isn't just about the winning. "I’m honored to be working on these young men. I don’t have a timeline. I know that our program has already had a massive amount of success. I could see it in the way they love each other. I can see it in how they see themselves. I can vividly see it in the amount of emails that I receive on a positive way and much less in a negative way. I can see it in their bodies and how they carry themselves, how they look, how they run. So we’ve already had a massive amount of success and I know the success you want to see and that’s coming too because we believe in a job well done in those areas that I’m telling you right now the byproduct is success on the field."

Or from earlier in the spring:
"“You’re not going to get me to say an ultimate goal for the program, I don’t believe in that. I’m not going to say it. I truly, in my DNA, believe in trying to be better than I was yesterday. And I want to help the team to do that. And a byproduct of a job well done there will be winning. "

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I'm an Iraqi War Vet. There was no hippie Kumbaya I'll tell you that.

All in all, Looks like I got some heads turning. This forum went stale for a day or two. Had to get it jump started.

I am a former Marine myself - but I dont start wars, I finish them!

My advice to you if he is rubbing you the wrong way - cross your legs!

Reaction Score
I am a former Marine myself - but I dont start wars, I finish them!

My advice to you if he is rubbing you the wrong way - cross your legs!
Ooo Rah! That cracked me up.

Reaction Score

All in all, Looks like I got some heads turning. This forum went stale for a day or two. Had to get it jump started.

Dude - attention seeking or what? Do it positive, not negative.

That said - football, is a great way, to teach young men, especially the ones that might not for whatever reason, have adequate direction, that violence is a part of life, that is often necessary, and should be mastered. Save the concept that kumbaya bullspit is worthless, for people that get to live under the umbrella.

Reaction Score
Dude - attention seeking or what? Do it positive, not negative.

That said - football, is a great way, to teach young men, especially the ones that might not for whatever reason, have adequate direction, that violence is a part of life, that is often necessary, and should be mastered. Save the concept that kumbaya bullspit is worthless, for people that get to live under the umbrella.

Im just sayin that he's starting to get under my skin with all his hippie $#!T. I guess you guys like that stuff. Attention seeking? nah, having fun on our football board, yeah.
Post what you like and I'll post what I like. I'm guessing you're a whole foods shopper

Reaction Score

I was going to thank you for getting the conversation started as it has been dead here considering we are a week away tomorrow from the FIRST GAME. Now I got to thank you for serving first and foremost. I actually had a nightmare last night about that journalist that was beheaded and was up at 2am. Anyways thanks for jump starting the board again.

Reaction Score
You're the man Noeynox!
Lets get some fire in these people! I wanna see BYU running for the exits!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I like Diaco. I think he was the best possible (as in people who'd take the job) choice for the program. (And now the inevitable but....)

But...I get the sense that he thinks the program is a wreck and that the results on the field are going to reveal that to the world. Now that I have no idea if that is an accurate assessment of his opinion, and if so, whether it is an accurate assessment of the state of the program, but it is the feeling that I get. Of course, he could be a media savvy guy who is hedging his bets or setting himself up as a savior.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im just sayin that he's starting to get under my skin with all his hippie $#!T. I guess you guys like that stuff. Attention seeking? nah, having fun on our football board, yeah.
Post what you like and I'll post what I like. I'm guessing you're a whole foods shopper

More like fried chicken and beer at the bar shopper when it comes to my dinners. LOL. Way off.

Reaction Score
More like fried chicken and beer at the bar shopper when it comes to my dinners. LOL. Way off.
Eh, ok. You're ok in my book then. Because thats all that matters right? ;-)
Join me in screaming at BYU everytime they screw up next Friday

Reaction Score
How about doing us all a favor and deleting this nonsense thread.

Reaction Score
I like Diaco. I think he was the best possible (as in people who take the job) choice for the program. (And now the inevitable but....)

But...I get the sense that he thinks the program is a wreck and that the results on the field are going to reveal that to the world. Now that I have no idea if that is an accurate assessment of his opinion, and if so, whether it is an accurate assessment of the state of the program, but it is the feeling that I get. Of course, he could be a media savvy guy who is hedging his bets or setting himself up as a savior.
I like him as our coach. Really do, just done with all this explaining he is doing. Just get mad and show us furious football.

Reaction Score
I was going to thank you for getting the conversation started as it has been dead here considering we are a week away tomorrow from the FIRST GAME. Now I got to thank you for serving first and foremost. I actually had a nightmare last night about that journalist that was beheaded and was up at 2am. Anyways thanks for jump starting the board again.

FWIW: That right there, is the exact intention for that video to have been posted. To give good people, that live well, in the United States - nightmares. I'm sorry that happened to you, and I assure you, you are not alone. Americans need to learn from this, and stop being naïve about what is out there in the world. Sleep well tonight, and don't be a rubber necker gawking at the awful tragedies and car wrecks on the side of the road, just continue on the road, and use it as a reminder to make sure that you remember that there a rules about you travel through life, and people to respect those rules, enforce rules, and make sure the rules are good rules.

Reaction Score
I did not serve in the military. I am grateful everyday that others took the time and energy to allow me to sleep comfortably in my home. Thank you.

Having said that, my guess is that when you arrived for your first day in the service, you were not put on a plane, sent to Baghdad, loaded up with gear and told to shoot the first guy who made eye contact with you. My guess is that the military tried to shape you in their way long before you hit the battlefield. My guess is it was not hippie shi+ they were spouting, but stuff that would stay with you for the rest of your life. We are in boot camp.

In the interim, you could read the article from SBNation about program builders, it's a few posts down the FB board. Although I must caution you it is full of hippie, tree hugging stuff from unsuccessful coaches.

Reaction Score
I like him as our coach. Really do, just done with all this explaining he is doing. Just get mad and show us furious football.

On that note, I agree, and it was a long time ago now, that I reached that point. Tired of looking back, just want to go forward. Doesn't really bug me though about the guy, because he is one of these guys, that when you meet him, there is an uncommon drive there to do good. I think he's gotten less and less about looking back to where the program was when he talks - and I do disagree with you about the values he talks about in general, that you pointed out here, but that's ok - disagreement is healthy when figuring out your way through things. I'm sure he's more jacked up about the game on Friday night than anyone.

Reaction Score
I like Diaco. I think he was the best possible (as in people who'd take the job) choice for the program. (And now the inevitable but....)

I sure hope you're wrong. The fact seems to be that the program was a wreck. Forget the won/loss. Players fat and out of shape. Simple house keeping issues at the Burton complex. The results turned in by the linemen at UCONN's pro-day. These and other issues are pretty classic symptoms of a group that had lost its self-respect; that no longer gave a damn. Nothing good was going to happen, football or otherwise, until people believed in themselves and their teammates. That was step-one.

Steps-two through forever, positive results on the field, start in earnest on the 29th. Truth? I think BD is very concerned. He's never seen these guys under fire. He only gets to see them, live, against each other. I'm sure he has some idea about individual skill levels, but worries about how it translates against good players, in different color jerseys, in front of 40K fans? I think he feels that the combo of planning and preparation will allow his team to compete. But, I also think he'll probably throw-up prior to the BYU game.

I, for what its worth, see no indication that BD's setting himself up to be the program savior. He's just taking the steps necessary to fix things. I also think things were much worse than he expected.

Reaction Score
"It’s not about winning and losing games. That mission and a job well done on that mission of cultivating and developing young men is what drives me personally and it has been for some time"

You want to help college kids become better people, that's cool. But what I want, as a season ticket holder and Alumnus, is wins. I want to see heads rolling. I want to see other teams come into our house and leave wishing they never came.

Make these young men into great people. Fine but I honestly dont care. They will grow up one way or another. We all have.

Show me winning football and save the hippie crap for your Kumbaya circles.
Give me some Mike Ditka fire, give me some Gruden stares. For the love of God, give us hard nosed football not tree hugging.

Just sayin.

--C
After reading this I'm no longer pissed off at Ken Davis.

I would remind you that Bob Diaco is the guy who led Iowa State in tackles his senior year with a separated shoulder.

Reaction Score
I sure hope you're wrong. The fact seems to be that the program was a wreck. Forget the won/loss. Players fat and out of shape. Simple house keeping issues at the Burton complex. The results turned in by the linemen at UCONN's pro-day. These and other issues are pretty classic symptoms of a group that had lost its self-respect; that no longer gave a damn. Nothing good was going to happen, football or otherwise, until people believed in themselves and their teammates. That was step-one.

Steps-two through forever, positive results on the field, start in earnest on the 29th. Truth? I think BD is very concerned. He's never seen these guys under fire. He only gets to see them, live, against each other. I'm sure he has some idea about individual skill levels, but worries about how it translates against good players, in different color jerseys, in front of 40K fans? I think he feels that the combo of planning and preparation will allow his team to compete. But, I also think he'll probably throw-up prior to the BYU game.

I, for what its worth, see no indication that BD's setting himself up to be the program savior. He's just taking the steps necessary to fix things. I also think things were much worse than he expected.

The guy isn't worth a salt, if he isn't crapping bricks with fear at the same time he's ready to run through a wall with courage when it's time to come out of the tunnel on Friday night, booting in the hall on the way out, certainly possible. LOL. That was funny.

So I agree the guy is scared, and he should be, but I don't think it's going to be about being concerned about his players, I think it's because the guy is a competitor at heart, and he's got a healthy fear of failure. Healthy.

Because the confidence comes in knowing your prepared, and these guys have made sure publicly, that they are doing everything possible to be prepared. When it's test time, it's about simply doing what you're supposed to do, and the players that can do it under the lights, with the crowd watching will separate themselves from those that can't. When he's coached 100+ games, and had 25+ opening nights, I hope he's still crapping bricks on opening night walking out the tunnel.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Oh no, the football coach is talking about things other than football, like life lessons and... shudder... feelings.
This is a slippery slope that leads to ponies and back rubs.

Reaction Score
I don't really care if Diaco is in their faces or patting them on the back, just get the Huskies into a bowl game this year, get them in the mix for a conference championship next year and knocking on the door of the final top 25 the year after that. I think all these motivational speeches will calm down once he gets his nose dirty as a head coach. Right now he isn't just trying to sell the system to the players he's trying to sell the program to everyone. Once he has a track record of winning he won't have to sell as hard.

Reaction Score
Cody I say this with nothing but love and respect: STFU

Hey you took my line! I posted this in another thread and just about everyone on the Boneyard liked it. I thought about using it here but you beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom