Diaco from AAC Teleconference (9/29) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco from AAC Teleconference (9/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I think my posting speaks for itself in that I am a UConn fan and wish only the best for this football team, so please read the entire post before crucifying me. UMass hired a Notre Dame coordinator 3 years ago and it was an unmitigated disaster. Makes me wonder just how much responsibility/ authority Brian Kelly gives his subordinates. Molnar spent 2 years at UMass without a clue as to how to be a head coach. Press conferences were good and he said all the right things for the most part. Game days were horrendous and the "deer in the headlight" look never went away.
I'm not saying UConn is in the same boat and I truly hope they are not. BD's style is quite different from Molnar's and hopefully this is just a learning curve.

You can tell this poster has spent at least 5 minutes on our board...

:)

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I think my posting speaks for itself in that I am a UConn fan and wish only the best for this football team, so please read the entire post before crucifying me. UMass hired a Notre Dame coordinator 3 years ago and it was an unmitigated disaster. Makes me wonder just how much responsibility/ authority Brian Kelly gives his subordinates. Molnar spent 2 years at UMass without a clue as to how to be a head coach. Press conferences were good and he said all the right things for the most part. Game days were horrendous and the "deer in the headlight" look never went away.
I'm not saying UConn is in the same boat and I truly hope they are not. BD's style is quite different from Molnar's and hopefully this is just a learning curve.

Thanks for your insight (seriously).

It doesn't make me feel better (which of course is not your job).

There is a bid of mad light that shines from HCBD's eyes; it seems to be a positive madness which, if backed up by comensurate football coaching prowess could lead to great successes for the program. Unorthodox approaches are generally high risk/reward situations. I am hoping/praying/begging/crawling/kneeling/bleeding for the latter.

Reaction Score
RioDog,

there really isn't anything that unorthodox about Diaco's approach. He is pretty much doing what a good number of coaches have done. Go with youth, take your lumps and hope it pays dividends in a couple of years. I didn't really think he would take this approach. I thought the combination of a weakish schedule and a need to break with the past would lead him to try and win now. I guess the first inkling I had that such wasn't the case was when we heard about the 2 quarterback system...1-12 is not out of the realm of possibility right now. I didn't think that was possible in August.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How to fix the culture: “You just be honest, show them love, respect and care and focus on getting better each day and that’s all you can do.”

hmmm...not necessarily how I would break their bad habits

'Its ok Johnny - we love you and respect you and care about you but can you pretty please try better next time to make the block they way we showed you'.

I am cut from different cloth - but hey - if it works.

Motivating in a failing organization is very hard, and I don't think coming in as an outsider and simply yelling and screaming will be successful. The players know things aren't going well, they don't need to hear the new coach shoving it down their throats. Diaco doesn't want them to accept that situation, but he doesn't want to create unrealistic expectations that will cause them to lose confidence in him and themselves. The problem I have with Diaco's approach is that he appears to be telling them one thing to their face, but then he keeps dropping little crumbs about how bad the team sucks and none of it is his fault to the press. He should not do that, because the players will hear that and it will undermine his credibility. That is Management 101.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Motivating in a failing organization is very hard, and I don't think coming in as an outsider and simply yelling and screaming will be successful. The players know things aren't going well, they don't need to hear the new coach shoving it down their throats. Diaco doesn't want them to accept that situation, but he doesn't want to create unrealistic expectations that will cause them to lose confidence in him and themselves. The problem I have with Diaco's approach is that he appears to be telling them one thing to their face, but then he keeps dropping little crumbs about how bad the team sucks and none of it is his fault to the press. He should not do that, because the players will hear that and it will undermine his credibility. That is Management 101.
I hear what you are saying and makes some sense. I am not saying scream and yell 24x7 but at the same time everything can not be we love you please try harder.

I don't think I can ever remember hearing him use the word accountability once with himself or the team - I'm probably wrong so I would like to hear it more.

Would love to hear what the team goals were for the year - if you don't have goals what are you working for - what are you striving for besides getting better each day? How do you measure that and does anyone think at this point we are getting better everyday?

I am behind him but some of the things that are said are a bit unique - hope it works!!

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
RioDog, there really isn't anything that unorthodox about Diaco's approach. He is pretty much doing what a good number of coaches have done. Go with youth, take your lumps and hope it pays dividends in a couple of years. I didn't really think he would take this approach. I thought the combination of a weakish schedule and a need to break with the past would lead him to try and win now. I guess the first inkling I had that such wasn't the case was when we heard about the 2 quarterback system...1-12 is not out of the realm of possibility right now. I didn't think that was possible in August.

If we end up 1-12 we have bigger problems.

Reaction Score
If we end up 1-12 we have bigger problems.
1-12 is not unlikely when their is a change of the guard like we underwent. It's going to take 2-3 years in football to improve a program. It just takes too many players on each unit have to be capable.

Reaction Score
Srqhusky said:
1-12 is not unlikely when their is a change of the guard like we underwent. It's going to take 2-3 years in football to improve a program. It just takes too many players on each unit have to be capable.

In a 12 game schedule where we already have 1 win?

Although Stony Brook felt like a loss even though we won so maybe 1-12 is right.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's pretty unlikely unless they lose a game twice...

Reaction Score
I mean it was a gutsy call and a big get on the opening drive...and then they went back to being UConn Football '14
Watching again. The decision to go for it on 4th and 1 and making it didn't do us any favors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom