Details of the NCAA new governance proposal... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Details of the NCAA new governance proposal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't deny what fishy is saying either, but before the g5 goes completely way they will fire their last bullet in the form of suing the p5 and the NCAA for enabling them at the expense of the g5. Now I've heard swofford speak publicly about making any new ligislation permissive to anyone that wants to adopt it. If it goes through in the that fashion then it will be a war of attrition and they will eventually weed out the programs that shouldn't be playing FBS.

I just don't see how the G5 is suing the NCAA when the membership (of which all the G5 schools are) will vote to allow the P5 schools to make their own rules. If the G5 schools leave the NCAA & then sue claiming they were forced to leave because of the unfair way different member schools are treated they may have a better case but, the risk is once you leave you may not be able to get back in, especially if you sue them

Reaction Score
I think g5 schools will only vote for autonomy if rules/benefits to athletes enacted by p5 schools are permissive for them to offer as well if they can afford to. Initially how it was proposed was that any non p5 school that wanted to offer the same benefits would have to get approval from the rest of division one. In that scenario being a g5 school is the worst place to be.

Reaction Score
I just don't see how the G5 is suing the NCAA when the membership (of which all the G5 schools are) will vote to allow the P5 schools to make their own rules. If the G5 schools leave the NCAA & then sue claiming they were forced to leave because of the unfair way different member schools are treated they may have a better case but, the risk is once you leave you may not be able to get back in, especially if you sue them

Aresco's letter to Emmert makes clear that the proposal as currently constituted restricts the G5 schools in a number of ways. It creates classes which are impenetrable.

There is no reason at all for a P5. There should simply be a division in which the new rules are allowed. There is no justification for reducing membership in that division.

Besides, my reference to things getting messy was all about the relationship of boosters, board members, politicians, etc., to the athletic programs at these schools. When things go sour, wars will be fought, and you're going to see it spill out into political venues and the courts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't deny what fishy is saying either, but before the g5 goes completely way they will fire their last bullet in the form of suing the p5 and the NCAA for enabling them at the expense of the g5. Now I've heard swofford speak publicly about making any new ligislation permissive to anyone that wants to adopt it. If it goes through in the that fashion then it will be a war of attrition and they will eventually weed out the programs that shouldn't be playing FBS.

That's what will happen and why this should trigger expansion. The G5 cannot prevent other schools from adoption their model. Antitrust law would not allow that (or allow to NCAA to enforce it). As I keep saying, it leads to one of two outcomes. 1. The P5 gobbles up many more schools, essentially all of those willing to play by P5 rules. 2. The schools who want to compete at a P5 level will reform a new conference to do so, which the P5 will not be able to prevent. I think the P5 want to avoid option 2 from happening, and will re-start expansion once this goes through.

Reaction Score
I think g5 schools will only vote for autonomy if rules/benefits to athletes enacted by p5 schools are permissive for them to offer as well if they can afford to. Initially how it was proposed was that any non p5 school that wanted to offer the same benefits would have to get approval from the rest of division one. In that scenario being a g5 school is the worst place to be.

My point is that even if the G5 schools vote against autonomy for the P5 (which they obviously will) the majority of the NCAA membership will approve it. The real question is whether the G5 can get the membership to allow them to follow the same rules, which is doubtful.

IMO, there is no easy or quick way out for us. My belief is that we will be in this conference until the GOR from the ACC & Big 12 come close to expiring. That is when, IMO, the next realignment will start to occur

Reaction Score
The fact that you're hearing the likes of swofford already saying that they want to make any new legislation permissive is all you need to know. They know they have a potential problem on their hands. Our basketball program would be toast if Syracuse is allowed to offer benefits that because of the rules, we simply could not. We just dropped a cool thirty million plus on a basketball practice facility. How much did we pour into football money wise?' We didn't spend close to two hundred million on facilities alone to play FCS level sports, which is what this autonomy if not tweaked will essentially do.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Hey, I'd be the first to admit that I have a pair of Husky colored glasses on. There are a few issues up in the air and a few too many moving parts for me to believe that this is all going to come together decisively and smoothly. Also, a palace coup works when you have one king...not two (Slive and Delany)

Reaction Score
My point is that even if the G5 schools vote against autonomy for the P5 (which they obviously will) the majority of the NCAA membership will approve it. The real question is whether the G5 can get the membership to allow them to follow the same rules, which is doubtful.

As Aresco's letter makes evident, the real question is whether you can situate schools in fixed classes.

I don't think you can.

Aresco asked them to address these issues.

Reaction Score
The question, which I don't get really, is why would the rest of the membership of the NCAA give a whether the Gang of 6 want to risk bankruptcy trying ot keep up with the P5? I fthe G6 say we want the ability to follow the same rules, why would St John's or Fairfield care?

Reaction Score
The question, which I don't get really, is why would the rest of the membership of the NCAA give a whether the Gang of 6 want to risk bankruptcy trying ot keep up with the P5? I fthe G6 say we want the ability to follow the same rules, why would St John's or Fairfield care?

While autonomy is football driven it pertains to all student athletes especially when it comes to stipends/medical insurance/transfer rules

A school like St Johns believes that they recruit the same kids as we do for hoops, baseball etc. Just as we believe that autonomy gives the P5 an advantage that cannot be overcome they believe the same when recruiting against the G5

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's right, bobby. First of all it is football driven. Second, what difference does it make whether Syracuse and BC can pay their players or UConn joins that group? If they can't compete, they can't compete. So they are arguing that they care about competing with UConn and Memphis for players but concede the cream of the crop to BC and Syracuse? Seems to me you either oppose all or oppose none if your St Johns or PC or someone. I actually think that some of the low major basketball schools are happy to be free of football but I don't think they are willing to give the P5 everything they want on the basketball side because Georgetown, Marquette, some of those places still harbor the idea that they can compete at the same level in basketball. They don't much care what happens to football. Haven't since World War II.

Reaction Score
No one mentioned Temple. Looks like they were simply ahead of everyone else in acknowledging what's going to happen. Very sad for college athletics but rowing and then football were (and apparently still is) the foundations of athletic departments.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...er-says-cheating-pays-ncaa-enforcement-broken

I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. So much for those 200 wrestling titles at Iowa??

Reaction Score
Texas, the SEC schools, mostly anyway, they don't much care about anything but football. If they are left with football, basketball and baseball with the required matching numbers for womens sports to comply with title IX they are happy.

Reaction Score
I'm told by someone that works at an FBS non-power school that this was finalized for two reasons:

1) they ditched the additional subdivision (for now) because the power schools decided they wanted to keep 7-8 home games a year and needed the non-power schools to make that work, and

2) the non-power schools will be given $800k a year (each) from the football playoff revenue in order to help subsidize the oncoming cost of attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom