Destiny Slocum Reopens Recruitment | The Boneyard

Destiny Slocum Reopens Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Destiny had given a verbal to Washington and has reopened her recruitment. UConn was interested in her and John A has tweeted UConn is looking at her again. http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/191032/destiny-slocum

Will have to see if she is interested in UConn now. Its a long way from Idaho to Storrs Ct.

Would be a good pickup to go along with Crystal Dangerfield.
How many parents get to actually see their kid play basketball, over 26 games per year, they can with any UConn Recruit. So with cell phones, skype, and SNY/ESPN/CBS TV their fans and parents get to see and hear from them often---better than being home..

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ESPN HG has her as the #4-ranked player in the class. The only thing I wonder is that both she and Crystal are projected as PGs. I mean, it'd be an incredible luxury to have two top-five PGs on the team. I just wonder whether either of them can play the 2. Can one or both?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But on Sept. 29, the same day powerhouse UConn called and extended an offer, she picked Washington from a final four that included Duke, UCLA and Oregon.

"I've never been a follower of big schools like (UConn) because I feel like you just get sucked into the program and your name becomes just another name in the box," Slocum said. "I feel like at Washington, I could really build something and a name for my team and a name for myself and build a program that's never been built before.

"UConn wasn't really on my mind, even though it was flattering."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/02/19/3652431_magnificent-maverick.html?rh=1

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
"I've never been a follower of big schools like (UConn) because I feel like you just get sucked into the program and your name becomes just another name in the box," Slocum said. "I feel like at Washington, I could really build something and a name for my team and a name for myself and build a program that's never been built before.

Some of us on this board wonder why a top player would ever choose any school except UConn. Her explanation makes sense and helps explain why UConn isn't for everybody. She sounds like an articulate young lady who has a mind of her own. But maybe she'll rethink the matter and choose UConn anyway. Just hoping.:)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I would not mind seeing Kelly Graves and the Oregon Ducks land her.

I think he can turn that program around.

Reaction Score
Destiny had given a verbal to Washington and has reopened her recruitment. UConn was interested in her and John A has tweeted UConn is looking at her again. http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/191032/destiny-slocum

Will have to see if she is interested in UConn now. Its a long way from Idaho to Storrs Ct.

Would be a good pickup to go along with Crystal Dangerfield.
Big news on two fronts. That of Destiny possibly changing her mind and they are letting John A tweet about looking at young women again. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
"Slocum said her goals include becoming a McDonald's All-American, playing professionally in the WNBA or overseas, suiting up for the U.S. Olympic team and becoming a sports broadcaster..."

Where better than UCONN to prepare to achieve those goals?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But on Sept. 29, the same day powerhouse UConn called and extended an offer, she picked Washington from a final four that included Duke, UCLA and Oregon.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/02/19/3652431_magnificent-maverick.html?rh=1
I have no issue with her entire quote and I don't read that as attitude at all. I see is a rather mature for a 16 year old who was going into her Junior season of high school. She wanted to build something on her own and not be a follower. That should be applauded IMO. The timing is curious. UCONN entended and offer on Sept. 29 to Slocum. Crystal Dangerfield committed to UCONN on October 20th. Amber Ramirez committed to OK State on October 28, 2014. IMO UCONN got the player it wanted in Dangerfield and interest in Slocum and Ramirez is no longer there. I wish her well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
IMO UCONN got the player it wanted in Dangerfield and interest in Slocum and Ramirez is no longer there. I wish her well.
Well according to John A., UCONN is looking at her again.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Don't think it's destiny for Slocum to be a Husky.

Jon Slocum said he wanted his daughter to be open to the idea of playing for one of national powers from the other side of the country, such as Connecticut.

Destiny, who wants to be a coach one day, has taken her father's advice -- sort of.

"If I stay out west, I will play for Washington," said Slocum, who plans on signing in November's early period. "But I think I might have a better chance at developing on the East Coast.

"I've never given UConn a thought -- that's not the school for me.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...mother-nature-keep-destiny-slocum-away-basket

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
One word..... TYASHA HARRIS! *Yes, I know it's not just one word, but it deserves repeating. UConn would be getting a steal, and I really hope they have given her a look.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"I've never given UConn a thought -- that's not the school for me. I want to make a name for myself and my team and do something that's never been done before. That would be fun."

Like we've said before some want to play for the best, some want to beat the best. Some want to build on a legacy, some want to make a new legacy. To each their own. Good luck to her.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Her comments are reminder of how special the kids who come to UConn are. Yes they are great players and superb athletes but they are also willing to give up minutes and personal records to be a part of something bigger. Geno and Chris' ability to find these kind of gems is a big part of why the program has thrived.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"One of the [University of] South Carolina coaches told me that Destiny can take an average team and make them great," Skogrand said. "I told her, 'I know. That's what she did with us.' "

SC is on the east coast. Seems like a good fit in a lot of ways.

Reaction Score
At least she knows what she wants and is confident enough to say it out loud, But, Destiny if you ever get the opportunity to play UCONN..........good luck against that defense!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One word..... TYASHA HARRIS! *Yes, I know it's not just one word, but it deserves repeating. UConn would be getting a steal, and I really hope they have given her a look.

Seems she would be an excellent fit for UConn and there's an excellent history with guards from Heritage Christian. I read at one point that IU and Ohio State were leaders for her but recent reports say she has yet to narrow her list. Is there interest in/from ND?

UConn seems to be interested in several guards who don't seem to be interested in UConn. Jocelyn Willoughby attended First Night but it's been the sounds of silence since. Her high school season was cut short with a serious hamstring injury. Ionescu seems to be staying on the west coast. Chou is a terrific player and I'm sure UConn would love to get her but she's a long-shot. UConn made Chou's baker's dozen list but nothing new on that front. Slocum isn't interested.

Although Espinoza-Hunter is committed from 2017 and UConn is in a good position with Walker I'd think Geno would want another guard in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom