Deseret News: Cougars respect UConn but excited to play No. 1 | The Boneyard

Deseret News: Cougars respect UConn but excited to play No. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
When Jeff Judkins started coaching the BYU women’s basketball team 13 years ago, he said he decided that he’d “better learn from the best.” So Judkins looked to UConn coach Geno Auriemma.

“I’m a big fan of his,” Judkins said. “I think he does a great job.”

LINK

HGN

Reaction Score
The BYU team has the right mindset , but I don't think they have the right players.

Reaction Score
I think it may be closer than most expect.

Looking forward to watching it.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It should be fascinating to watch how we try to deal with their 6'7" kid...on offense and defense.
With the expertise exhibited here on a regular basis...and our willingness to share said expertise with
the coaching staff...I trust that Geno will be poring over our advice.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
BYU guards are going to have to be able to get the ball into their 6'7" player. Will be more difficult then they've had in their previous games. Stewie has to much mobility to be significantly impacted. Most interesting is how Stef plays against her. I suspect Stef will park herself around where you shoot free throws from and that should open up the middle for other players and her jump shot.

It should be fascinating to watch how we try to deal with their 6'7" kid...on offense and defense.
With the expertise exhibited here on a regular basis...and our willingness to share said expertise with
the coaching staff...I trust that Geno will be poring over our advice.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is this about BYU or just older gals with a thing for younger gents?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It should be fascinating to watch how we try to deal with their 6'7" kid...on offense and defense. With the expertise exhibited here on a regular basis...and our willingness to share said expertise with the coaching staff...I trust that Geno will be poring over our advice.
I totally agree it will be interesting. However, Stef is 6'5". Kiah is 6'3"+ with a large wingspan. Remember when 6'1" Samaie Walker did a solid job defending 6'7" Griner 3+ years ago? Point is a kid doesn't have to be the same height to defend a taller post player. Sara Hammond for L'ville is only 6'2" and she routinely effectively defends larger and taller post players. Dev Peters from ND was 6'3" and ND made several final four and NC game runs while she was there as their starting 5. And most famously, aTm had starting 5 Danielle Adams who is no bigger than 6'1" and actually a wing/forward in the WNBA. Oh, and they won the NC with her...

I'm not trying to down play your comment - I totally agree it will be interesting to see how they work the defense. I think it will be a terrific test. And one thing BYU does have is a whole team of players who can score. Even their starting 4 can step out and drain the 3. But they don't have anyone on their team with the talent of any of the players on UCONN, and as others have said in the past, you can't duplicate the kind of defensive pressure in practices that UCONN brings in games. I honestly have a hard time seeing how BYU keeps it to under 30...

Side note - BYU has a whole cadre of players who can knock down the 3. UCONN had some major holes in their perimeter defense against SJU. Joe's had a bunch of wide open 3's that they just missed. While UCONN has "rolled" thru the first 2 rounds, seeing the inconsistent play in both games has been disappointing - it's almost as if the team still isn't ready to play 40 minutes of basketball...

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive gotta wonder how long it will take for BYU to get in foul trouble. UConn is quicker, faster and plays at a speed BYU has not seen. At 6'7 I expect alot of fouls and UConn to go inside right away to exploit that. I dont expect this to be a close game. I really dont expect any of our games to be close after the first 10-15 minutes. This could get ugly fast. UConn has been playing with tremendous confidence and chemistry and very much insynch. They arent going to lose this season and perhaps not next season either. My only wish is for Tuck to get healthy and back to 100%.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Gotta love the moxie of the BYU kids interviewed for the article.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Uconn has an advantage in playing BYU and Hamson that many teams do not have - they have had three years of playing against BG and Baylor. They are different players but the issues they present in terms of length are very similar. Both Breanna and Stef have nice jump hooks that are very difficult to block, and the fact they can both hit consistently from distance and are not stationary on offense will be harder for BYU to defend.

Reaction Score
I like BYU's mindset. Now let's see how well they "walk the talk."

Reaction Score
Good for them! I like their attitude, like I liked St. Joe's. It's why they play the games. No matter where you sit in the brackets, if you aspire to BE number one, you have to BEAT number one (unless you are UConn!)..
Like Joachin Ajdujar once said.
"I only got one word to say about that...youneverknow"...

Reaction Score
BYU guards are going to have to be able to get the ball into their 6'7" player. Will be more difficult then they've had in their previous games. Stewie has to much mobility to be significantly impacted. Most interesting is how Stef plays against her. I suspect Stef will park herself around where you shoot free throws from and that should open up the middle for other players and her jump shot.

BYU would be smart to not have Hamson follow Dolson out too far if that what they have her do but keep her in the middle where she can get most of the rebounds and alter shots

Reaction Score
I think Uconn has an advantage in playing BYU and Hamson that many teams do not have - they have had three years of playing against BG and Baylor. They are different players but the issues they present in terms of length are very similar. Both Breanna and Stef have nice jump hooks that are very difficult to block, and the fact they can both hit consistently from distance and are not stationary on offense will be harder for BYU to defend.

Baylor was pretty much the Britney Griner Show when she was there.

BYU is a lot like UCONN in that they can go to any one of their players for offense. Easton is erratic but can be a pretty good driver when she's on her game and Beeson can hit threes with anyone when she's the same.

Reaction Score
Ive gotta wonder how long it will take for BYU to get in foul trouble.

And vice versa...(if Hamson plays it smart and doesn't try to block everything)

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Stef and Kiah are gonna deny her opportunities to set-up shop on the low block and there will likely be added focus on ball denial. Also, Hamson is a lumbering type at 6'7" and I think we will get out and run (as usual) her to exhaustion. She was dead tired down the stretch vs. Nebraska and we're hardly Nebraska! ;)

Reaction Score
BYU would be smart to not have Hamson follow Dolson out too far if that what they have her do but keep her in the middle where she can get most of the rebounds and alter shots
If Hamson doesn't come out to guard Stef, it will mean an easy 25 pts. for Dolson. She would drain the foul line extended shot all day.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't think a tall player is a major consideration for UConn's defense, although they haven't played against anyone like her this year. Not only did they play well against Griner, but back in the 2005-2006 era (except for one NCAA game) they were able to handle Sylvia Fowles quite well. Also, Geno's formula against the 6-8 Aussie girl (Elizabeth Cambage) worked well in the Olympics.

The question is whether they will double-team her -- I predict that they don't, although the guards may harass her after she catches in the low post (remember Tiffany and Caroline on Jayne Appel). Stef can defend her one-on-one, particularly if the rest of the defense makes passes into her difficult. Nebraska didn't allow many passes in to her, and she didn't score much until the end -- her impact was at the defensive end.

I think all three UConn bigs have more mobility than she has, and she may find herself in foul trouble rather quickly. I'm sure it will be a focus of the game plan to make her work extra hard on defense so that she has limited energy for agressive offense.

The announcers on the BYU-Nebraska game noted that BYU has a tendency toward excessive turnovers. That may be their downfall on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Baylor was pretty much the Britney Griner Show when she was there.

BYU is a lot like UCONN in that they can go to any one of their players for offense. Easton is erratic but can be a pretty good driver when she's on her game and Beeson can hit threes with anyone when she's the same.
What ??? The #5 starter, Kylie Maeda averages 4.7 pts. per game on 27 mins per. Hardly a scoring option.

Reaction Score
I don't think a tall player is a major consideration for UConn's defense, although they haven't played against anyone like her this year. Not only did they play well against Griner, but back in the 2005-2006 era (except for one NCAA game) they were able to handle Sylvia Fowles quite well. Also, Geno's formula against the 6-8 Aussie girl (Elizabeth Cambage) worked well in the Olympics.

The question is whether they will double-team her -- I predict that they don't, although the guards may harass her after she catches in the low post (remember Tiffany and Caroline on Jayne Appel). Stef can defend her one-on-one, particularly if the rest of the defense makes passes into her difficult. Nebraska didn't allow many passes in to her, and she didn't score much until the end -- her impact was at the defensive end.

I think all three UConn bigs have more mobility than she has, and she may find herself in foul trouble rather quickly. I'm sure it will be a focus of the game plan to make her work extra hard on defense so that she has limited energy for agressive offense.

The announcers on the BYU-Nebraska game noted that BYU has a tendency toward excessive turnovers. That may be their downfall on Saturday.

RE: Turnovers. BYU has committed 540 to's this year compared to their opponents 430. Quite a difference. Considering they will be facing the best defense in WCBB, I would place the over/under on turnovers at 22 ( They had 21 to's in their conference final loss to Gonzaga, 17 in the first round of the NCAA's and 19 in the second round).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if we come out with a pressing defense. If BYU is turnover prone, MoJef and Bria could have an early field day. If they stel one or intercept a pass, nobody is going to catch them sprinting to the basket. Defensive pressure will be an early key.

Hansom on Dolson - mismatch for BYU. Stef can hit the foul line jumper or pass down low to Stewie or Kaleena or either on the wing. Very difficult matchup for BYU.

Close for the first 5 minutes then Uconn takes over.

BTY - I like BYU's attitude. They believe in themselves and their coach. We need more of this.

Reaction Score
If Hamson doesn't come out to guard Stef, it will mean an easy 25 pts. for Dolson. She would drain the foul line extended shot all day.
She won't be alone though.
What ??? The #5 starter, Kylie Maeda averages 4.7 pts. per game on 27 mins per. Hardly a scoring option.

She's more of a facilitator. She gets the ball to the other players. She can hit the outside shots if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom