Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't agree with the 2 QB rotation - I"ve been clear about that, but this pretty bold, to claim that the player has gotten nothing out of his participation with this program this year, and vice versa, that the program has gotten nothing in return from him. His production on the field is lacking, but I'm 100% positive, that if he was not a productive player individually and contributing to the team, he wouldn't be on the roster.

Chill out whaler.

That isn't what Whaler is saying. He still gets to practice if he is a RS player. It is the game action that has been useless (and possibly detrimental) to his development.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where the strength and conditioning coach concerns are coming from. Mike Golden is finishing up his second year in that position and there are no rumors of change there. He's done a great job and the kids have bought in. He was actually the UConn S & C coach from 1998-2000. The only thing I can think of is the period right after Whipple got hired. There was some concern over which coaches, if any, would be retained. Golden was one of if not the first coach that Whip hired.

As far as Molnar, my disparaging comment goes much deeper than his W/L record. He was run out of town amid physical/ mental abuse allegations that were being investigated. He is unfit to be a head coach anywhere. Wide receivers coach at Idaho is a good place for him!
If you read between the lines, you'll realize there was no dedicated strength and conditioning coach prior to Molnar getting there. Having a home stadium 90 miles away makes it tough to recruit; makes it tough to develop a fan base. Not having a S&C coach makes it difficult to develop those who do make the commitment. UMass's plan of transitioning to FBS was half baked at best. The simple move was to scapegoat the head coach. Physical/mental abuse allegations are typically capricious. I saw the video and not so oddly enough, it made it's way here. I agree that the practice of boxing and wrestling in the snow doesn't make a ton of sense for a football team, but I don't see how constitutes abuse beyond a reasonable doubt.

Reaction Score
If you read between the lines, you'll realize there was no dedicated strength and conditioning coach prior to Molnar getting there. Having a home stadium 90 miles away makes it tough to recruit; makes it tough to develop a fan base. Not having a S&C coach makes it difficult to develop those who do make the commitment. UMass's plan of transitioning to FBS was half baked at best. The simple move was to scapegoat the head coach. Physical/mental abuse allegations are typically capricious. I saw the video and not so oddly enough, it made it's way here. I agree that the practice of boxing and wrestling in the snow doesn't make a ton of sense for a football team, but I don't see how constitutes abuse beyond a reasonable doubt.

Without violating confidentiality and a promise to certain parents of players and players themselves, I really can't say much more than I have. That drill with the wrestling was far from the issue. The kids actually had fun with that although some parents found it a bit over the edge. Let's just say that the donor that paid Charley's buy-out had absolutely no problem with the W/L record. Whip will probably only win 3 games this year and the entire campus is giddy over the coaching change.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It was absolutely available at the time.
How would that disenfranchise Boyle more than what they have done?
The only thing I agree with is that it's a moot point.
The thought that Boyle would be more disenfranchised had they redshirted him as opposed to how they've actually used him is LOL funny.
My disenfranchise comment went to answer Whaler when he suggested a Depth chart of Whitmer, Foxx, Boyle and Boyle starting the next game if need be.

Once Cochran retired, the chances of Boyle redshirting decreased a single digits. Redshirts aren’t awarded until after the season. So if Whitmer is health all year, crisis averted. OTOH, how do you handle that internally with real people? Anyone who knows anything about football knows that every team needs a backup QB, particularly the backup QB.

You can disenfranchise Boyle more by preaching Next Man Up, demonstrating that Boyle is just that in practice, and then playing a non-QB or one that is well below Boyle (i.e. scout team QB) in backup situations – even in junk time. The writing on the wall is fairly clear at point, don’t you think? I haven’t talked to Boyle and don’t know him personally, but I don’t think they have disenfranchised Boyle up to this point. He is simply just not better than Whitmer. I don’t exactly understand the one series per game bit, but has he really shown that he deserves more playing time?

Anyways, this is the last time I’m addressing Boyle’s (lack of) redshirt. You have your opinion and I have mine. I understand you POV (as well as the POV vis a vie McAllister), but it’s pretty clear at this point that we are not going to convince one another to cross over. So…There it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My disenfranchise comment went to answer Whaler when he suggested a Depth chart of Whitmer, Foxx, Boyle and Boyle starting the next game if need be.

Once Cochran retired, the chances of Boyle redshirting decreased a single digits. Redshirts aren’t awarded until after the season. So if Whitmer is health all year, crisis averted. OTOH, how do you handle that internally with real people? Anyone who knows anything about football knows that every team needs a backup QB, particularly the backup QB.

You can disenfranchise Boyle more by preaching Next Man Up, demonstrating that Boyle is just that in practice, and then playing a non-QB or one that is well below Boyle (i.e. scout team QB) in backup situations – even in junk time. The writing on the wall is fairly clear at point, don’t you think? I haven’t talked to Boyle and don’t know him personally, but I don’t think they have disenfranchised Boyle up to this point. He is simply just not better than Whitmer. I don’t exactly understand the one series per game bit, but has he really shown that he deserves more playing time?

Anyways, this is the last time I’m addressing Boyle’s (lack of) redshirt. You have your opinion and I have mine. I understand you POV (as well as the POV vis a vie McAllister), but it’s pretty clear at this point that we are not going to convince one another to cross over. So…There it is.

You are only playing Foxx for the balance of one game. Personally I'm fine with even skipping that and just putting Boyle if/when Whitmer got hurt - I was just giving the people who worry about someone being ready a viable option.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Without violating confidentiality and a promise to certain parents of players and players themselves, I really can't say much more than I have. That drill with the wrestling was far from the issue. The kids actually had fun with that although some parents found it a bit over the edge. Let's just say that the donor that paid Charley's buy-out had absolutely no problem with the W/L record. Whip will probably only win 3 games this year and the entire campus is giddy over the coaching change.

That's fine with me. I'm not going to ask you to betray any confidences, but you need to realize that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Molnar could have been the salt of the Earth, but that doesn't mean the Administration supported him, the program, or that their strategy wasn't half baked at best. None of which, mind you, can be applied to any sort of predictive analysis on how Bob Diaco will fair at UConn.

Reaction Score
That's fine with me. I'm not going to ask you to betray any confidences, but you need to realize that the two are not mutually exclusive.

Molnar could have been the salt of the Earth, but that doesn't mean the Administration supported him, the program, or that their strategy wasn't half baked at best. None of which, mind you, can be applied to any sort of predictive analysis on how Bob Diaco will fair at UConn.

I guess this conversation got convoluted along the way. The only comparison I made between Molnar and BD was their connection to Kelly. Sorry if anything I wrote insinuated any similarity other than that. I was responding to the post saying that BD was smart because Kelly brought him to Notre Dame. I too believe BD is smart and will be a great coach.....I just don't think it has anything to do with Brian Kelly

Husky25

Reaction Score
I guess this conversation got convoluted along the way. The only comparison I made between Molnar and BD was their connection to Kelly. Sorry if anything I wrote insinuated any similarity other than that. I was responding to the post saying that BD was smart because Kelly brought him to Notre Dame. I too believe BD is smart and will be a great coach.....I just don't think it has anything to do with Brian Kelly

I guess what I read into it was Molnar was a Kelly assistant. Diaco was a Kelly assistant. Molnar was unsuccessful as a head coach, therefore all Kelly assistants will not be successful. Before you mentioned it, I had forgotten about the "training" video and obviously have no idea what you confidentially know about him. My point was that the UMass job and the UConn job are as different as the respective backgrounds of Charley Molnar and Bob Diaco.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Let me add this: I am currently an unabashed Diaco supporter. It is absolutely true that Diaco had me at Hello. I am an unabashed supporter until I'm not one.

I was a little leary about former "Coach" Pasqualoni, but I still gave him at least until year 2 (Finally jumped off the bandwagon after Temple 2012). No doubt that some of Diaco's decisions are questionable, but given the circumstances, he has done nothing for me to lose faith. If these questionable calls continue and the team does not show continuing improvement, my support will be appropriately adjusted.

Reaction Score
Let me add this: I am currently an unabashed Diaco supporter. It is absolutely true that Diaco had me at Hello. I am an unabashed supporter until I'm not one.

I was a little leary about former "Coach" Pasqualoni, but I still gave him at least until year 2 (Finally jumped off the bandwagon after Temple 2012). No doubt that some of Diaco's decisions are questionable, but given the circumstances, he has done nothing for me to lose faith. If these questionable calls continue and the team does not show continuing improvement, my support will be appropriately adjusted.

I agree with you 100%. There is a learning curve with any new position and I would imagine that a head coaching job at the FBS level is a daunting one. Some will call me foolish, but I totally agree with his idea of this being a process. The relatively short time it takes him to instill his process will pay huge dividends in the long run. Like you, if this hits year 3 and the results haven't come to fruition, I will be shocked but willing to admit I was wrong.

Reaction Score
Diaco: On the four tailbacks: "I'm pleased with all four backs. We have roles that they are going to play. We gave Max DeLorenzo and Josh Marriner, Max in particular, a good, appropriate opportunity and there was no real separation there. At the end of the day, Arkeel Newsome and Ron Johnson possess high-level, tangible talents that in time, their maturity of their games will catch up through game experience. So if nobody really was taking it and running with it, something needed to tilt the scale. We're pleased with all of those guys, they're all going to play a role for us, they can all go in the games and produce. The tailback doesn't prevent us from winning."
Is it possible BD feels the same about McAllister and sees this as an opportunity for him to gain game experience for 2015? It's likely, because none of the others have separated themselves from the pack and we are very inexperienced at the position. Here are the CB's on the roster

7John Green5-10/179CornerbackRS SOMiami, Fla. (Felix Varela)
Javon Hadley5-10/164CornerbackSOMiami, Fla. (Miami Palmetta)
Byron Jones6-1/196CornerbackRS SRNew Britain, Conn. (St. Paul (Bristol))
Brice McAllister5-11/191CornerbackFREast Longmeadow, Mass. (Suffield (Conn.) Academy)
Nyrell Moore5-10/184CornerbackFRWest Haven, Conn. (West Haven)
Jamar Summers6-0/180CornerbackFREast Orange, N.J.
Nick Vitale5-8/176CornerbackRS SOMadison, Conn. (Stony Brook)
Anthony Watkins6-1/193CornerbackFRFort Meade, Md. (Lawrenceville (N.J.))
Jhavon Williams5-10/190CornerbackRS SODelray Beach, Fla. (Palm Beach Central)
Chris DeBerry5-11/186Defensive BackSRTorrington, Conn. (Torrington)

Reaction Score
Here's another name at a different position. How much longer does Jalen Stevens stick around?

Reaction Score
Dick post. As per usual with you.

Oh the irony. Seriously? It's an honest question. Moved to LB. Came in as pretty highly rated recruit and hasn't seen the field to my knowledge. True freshman Diggs has gotten time in front of him. People talk about more players leaving after this season. Could he be one of them?

Reaction Score
Oh the irony. Seriously? It's an honest question. Moved to LB. Came in as pretty highly rated recruit and hasn't seen the field to my knowledge. True freshman Diggs has gotten time in front of him. People talk about more players leaving after this season. Could he be one of them?

Oh stop it with the highly rated recruit nonsense. You recruitniks get way too caught up in that garbage.

Besides the fact that he's still a RS freshman, what about about Pudge's rule do you not understand?

Reaction Score
Hadley could make an impact at UConn
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/10/hadley-could-make-impact-at-uconn.html

>>"He is a trained corner so he works his game and he has done it for a long time," UConn coach Bob Diaco said. "He hasn't done it here in college football so as a young guy at least there is a volume of practice reps and time that he has been at that position. He is a tough guy, he is a gritty tough guy, he is competitive. What he might lack at this point in his career in size, overall speed he makes up for toughness. He has some fundamental base in playing the position. We are excited about him. He is in competition with John Green so we will see who ends up claiming that first and second down corner spot for the game."<<

Reaction Score
I never realized how easy it is to coach a college football team until I started reading the BY.
Am I the only one here not a professional coach?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never realized how easy it is to coach a college football team until I started reading the BY.
Am I the only one here not a professional coach?

Some parts are actually pretty easy.

When to use timeouts. When to go on fourth down. When to take 3 versus going for a touchdown.

It's odd how these people that are above criticism can't handle those simple functions. So... I guess nothing else can be questioned.

How dare anyone question the coach of a 1-6 team ranked 122nd out of 128?

What's next? Someone questioning Paul Pasqualoni? That guy coached in a million bowl games!

Reaction Score
That's how I used to feel about Edsall. Granted all these guys know more football than any of us. They get paid millions to do it, but it doesn't mean they can't get second guessed on a MESSAGE BOARD.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's how I used to feel about Edsall. Granted all these guys know more football than any of us. They get paid millions to do it, but it doesn't mean they can't get second guessed on a MESSAGE BOARD.

And I only second guess about things where I have a valid opinion.

Let me know when I second guess a decision about man vs zone or a 3-4 versus a 4-3.

But if you say and do ridiculous things I'm not going to ignore it. If you are going to stand up and lie about things I'm not going to pretend I don't know.

You want to shut people up? Win a game.

Reaction Score
Diaco has made some puzzling decisions especially on burning so many shirts on guys who get very limited time or do not look ready but he is a smart motivated guy who is taking the long view on building the program and for his career. Not that Pasqualoni recruited poorly as recall lot of excitement about many of his recruits at the time, it was that many of guys did not develop once they got here from both football and strength and training perspective, which is on the previous regime.

Although some of the returning guys were probably more ready now, Diaco saw the team was suspect at QB and was not going to be world beaters and decided to go with lot of freshmen over sophs and juniors even if not ready now, as they start getting developed as he probably rightfully feels they have better long term upside. Focusing on and talking up young guys and he gets a free pass until at least year three. When he gets to 6-7 wins in year three, he looks like a great program builder and either hopefully gets us to a stronger conference and gets the big bucks that comes with that or he parlays that to a P5 job if we are still stuck in the AAC. We will be a good team again just might be a little longer than many of us want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom