Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Depth Chart Changes: Homecoming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unless those CBs aren't available.

It really is entertaining watching some of the posters on here with half information trying to figure out what Diaco is saying. Here is what I think (okay...now I am one of the posters..lol)...we are VERY thin at CB....and while BD openly admits that McAllister is not ready to play, he has to field a team and it isn't going to be a walk on. I think there are more injuries in the secondary than we know and BD is letting us know that while BM is green, he is going to have to play.

And...redshirting is such a crapshoot, I don't think this needs to be a part of the equation. There is so much natural attrition with these kids, it's hard to be concerned with who will be on your roster 3-4 years down the road. Red shirting is a nice to have...not a must have. If the choice is play a walk on or burn a red shirt..you gotta burn it.

I hate when people say this. Of course we don't have all the info. If that's a requirement for posting here this is going to be one lonely place.

Reaction Score
Jimmy - "Who cares about 2014?". I do. And I can't believe a true fan like you are Is willing to throw it away. To respond to someone's earlier statement, I believe that a record of 3 - 9 is better than 2 and 10. And guess what, if we get to 3 and 9, maybe we have a chance at 4 and 6 which, in my book, is even better. Of course we are in this for the long run but if we sacrifice the short run, it just might be that the long run will be worse. I could go on but the point is, DON'T QUIT

Can we keep my comment within the context of this topic? The notion that a true frosh who is going to play a limited role in a new position, who Diaco described as "remedial" is going to make a difference in wins and losses is an astronomical stretch by any standards.

Do we get more value out of McAllister by playing him in a handful of snaps of the last 5 games in a lost season or a 5th year in 2018?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The first 70 guys weren't the difference between 1-6 and 2-5. But the 71st might be the difference between 2-10 and 3-9.

Seriously. Come on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last week they weren't even gameplanning for ECU. This week they are playing for 2014 wins?

Reaction Score
Last week they weren't even gameplanning for ECU. This week they are playing for 2014 wins?

Whaler - It appears you have thrown in the towel on this year. I haven't. I want to try to win every game every week. AND if the coach thinks playing you or me or a true freshman helps, then I support that decision. Not that you care, but my advice to you is same as to Jimmy. DON'T QUIT. The team and all of us need yo to stay strong.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I hate when people say this. Of course we don't have all the info. If that's a requirement for posting here this is going to be one lonely place.
Let me clarify...it's not that some people leap to conclusions with limited information, it's that they leap to negative conclusions even though they have limited information.

Here is what I thought when I read that Diaco said McAllisters skills were remedial but he was going to play..."wow...we must be really hurting in the secondary for Diaco to be talking about burning the red shirt of a player that he is openly saying isn't ready".

Here is what the negative nancies think..."wow...Diaco has to be an idiot to burn the red shirt of a player who clearly isn't ready when there are other cornerbacks who can play."

Maybe it is just optimist versus pessimist, it just always surprises me when the first assumption is that the coach is an idiot and the message board poster knows better.

Reaction Score
Just a splitting hair clarification - Diaco said that McAllister's "knowledge of position is remedial at best", not that McAllister is remedial.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me clarify...it's not that some people leap to conclusions with limited information, it's that they leap to negative conclusions even though they have limited information.

Here is what I thought when I read that Diaco said McAllisters skills were remedial but he was going to play..."wow...we must be really hurting in the secondary for Diaco to be talking about burning the red shirt of a player that he is openly saying isn't ready".

Here is what the negative nancies think..."wow...Diaco has to be an idiot to burn the red shirt of a player who clearly isn't ready when there are other cornerbacks who can play."

Maybe it is just optimist versus pessimist, it just always surprises me when the first assumption is that the coach is an idiot and the message board poster knows better.

I already knew they were hurting at cornerback. I saw the game last Thursday.

I'm always surprised that no matter what the coach does or says for some it can't be questioned.

Are all the Falcons fans wrong for pointing out Mike Smith was an idiot on Sunday? I mean they never coached an NFL team.

Reaction Score
I don't feel bad for Marriner. He's a RS Frosh and I'm willing to bet he has significant touches as his career progresses. RB's frequently get hurt and it's impossible to have too many kids who can run and catch the ball. He got 6 touches last week and I don't think it's unreasonable for him to get 8-10 touches a game. Whether or not he's satisfied with that I don't know. Johnson does seem to be a bigger version of Marriner.
Agreed it is like pitching in baseball you can't have enough depth at running back

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Just a splitting hair clarification - Diaco said that McAllister's "knowledge of position is remedial at best", not that McAllister is remedial.
Good point. Badly worded by me.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
Who cares about 2018? I care a lot more about 2018 than I do the difference between 2-10 and 3-9 in 2014.

Agreed. But do you think this particular decision makes a difference in either year? Probably not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agreed. But do you think this particular decision makes a difference in either year? Probably not.

No but I know it won't make a difference in 2014 but it might in 2018.

It's never one single decision. It's the fact there is no coherent set of consistent decisions. When the season was young the games were exhibitions. Now that the season is cooked they are important?

Reaction Score
I've never understood the red shirt views some have here. I tend to not care a less who will be playing in 5 years. And, well, you can RS after your Fr year, so there is the chance you will see him in 18.

Then again, I don't see us as having much of a choice - if Hadley were earning PT might we heard of him once this year? When you are building a program, you don't cut corners, regardless. In this program, the next guy up goes in, because he he has earned it. You don't take that away to cut a corner. The players see that sorta stuff and then they wonder why they can't cut corners.

Regardless, for those inclined to protect a RS - at what point in the season can you no longer burn one (IYO) - was ECU too late? Tulane? Temple? USF? Boise? Just curious as to where you draw the line.

And did Diaco ever say the games were exhibitions? I don't recall that, although I do recall some taking Jacobs article (who most promptly despise when he says something they don't like) completely out of context

"This is only the exhibition season!" .....

The first-year UConn coach said none of those things after the 35-10 loss to BYU or in the weekly media session Tuesday inside Burton Family Football Complex. Yet sometimes it's not the words that are said but the feeling one is left with walking away that can matter.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Redshirting players is the opposite of cutting corners. It's showing patience and taking the long view.

If you think UConn can be successful in the long term not redshirting players in general I'd strongly disagree with that. When you aren't landing top shelf recruits ready to step in and play it's how you build depth and put players on the field after they have developed rather than before.

Reaction Score
No but I know it won't make a difference in 2014 but it might in 2018.

It's never one single decision. It's the fact there is no coherent set of consistent decisions. When the season was young the games were exhibitions. Now that the season is cooked they are important?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you...BUT...

Diaco has been recruiting kids for a long time. He might think McAllister is a good player. He also might think he is not a special player. He might think "I know I can recruit 25 kids just like him every year" so in HIS mind he might be thinking that he will have better talent on the field in 2018.

The problem that the fanbase has is we fall in love with guys based on HS stats, a few youtube videos, and project success that may or may not ever come. The reality is that a good percentage of FBS players are fungible.

Diaco's view on half the roster might be "once I get 2-3 years of my recruits in here none of these guys will be playing anyway"...now of course he isn't going to say that publicly. Which means he might value redshirts on HIS guys more than he would value them on P's guys.

(I can't really comment on how much of this class is HCBD's or who belongs to P and HCBD just held it together - I don't pay that close of attention)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you don't see the value of redshirting... let me know if you'd like to enter 2015 without:
Vann
Adams
Ashiru
Campenni
Adeyemi

Did you like having Davis this season?

Would you take Foxx's 2015 over what he did in 2011?

Maybe this specific player doesn't pan out - but doesn't wanting to redshirt him and take the chance actually make me optimistic?

Reaction Score
I will respectfully disagree; it is cutting corners.

The frustrating thing about this thread is that it continues a theme of taking something other than facts and spinning them out of control. Who is the 4th corner this week? According to media reports it is HADLEY, not Brice. Diaco HAS to burn ONE red shirt, period. You do get that? You do see that he was trying to RS both Brice and Hadley. He will likely try and avoid burning 2. But he will not punish the other kids on the team who are trying to learn, do the right thing, and win by pulling you and me out of the stands and lining us up at corner to protect a RS.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you don't see the value of redshirting... let me know if you'd like to enter 2015 without:
Vann
Adams
Ashiru
Campenni
Adeyemi

Did you like having Davis this season?

Would you take Foxx's 2015 over what he did in 2011?

Maybe this specific player doesn't pan out - but doesn't wanting to redshirt him and take the chance actually make me optimistic?

I did not say that I don't see the value in a RS, so stop for once making stuff up to fit your facts. I don't see the VALUE (I'll use your words) of RS'g when you are good enough to play or are needed. And no, I did not think any of those you listed were ready to play or were needed as true freshman.

Oh, and Adams is back because he got huirt AFTER his Fr year, not because he sat as a true frosh.

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco is a smart guy. How do I know this? Because, Brian Kelly brought him to Cincinnati and then to ND. And say what you want about Kelly, and he is a ruthless bastard, but he does not suffer fools.

This year is a pass. Diaco knows that. Next year the clock starts ticking and in year three he is held fully accountable. He is setting the table to get everything he can ready for '15 and '16. Red shirt you say? Diaco doesn't start winning in a meaningful way by'16 he won't be around to enjoy those red shirts.

Delorenzo is gone after this season. He either told Diaco he wasn't coming back for his 5th year or Diaco told him.

And I guarantee that Diaco is hunting long and hard for a JUCO or 5th year transfer QB.that can run.

uconndogs...I certainly hope you are right for UConn's sake. Brian Kelly brought Charley Molnar from Central Michigan to Cincinnati and then to Notre Dame. Let me tell you that Charley Molnar is a fool.
I'm not saying BD is Molnar and as a UConn football fan I sincerely hope that he isn't. I just wouldn't put much credence in Brian Kelly assistants. I get the sense that Kelly's ego does not allow him to delegate too much of the decision making.

Reaction Score
Molnar might be another in the line of good assts who do not make good head coaches. Although isn't being the OC under BK a bit like being the DC for Belichek? I do believe BK allows the DC more of a ole than the so-called OC.

Reaction Score
I will respectfully disagree; it is cutting corners.

The frustrating thing about this thread is that it continues a theme of taking something other than facts and spinning them out of control. Who is the 4th corner this week? According to media reports it is HADLEY, not Brice. Diaco HAS to burn ONE red shirt, period. You do get that? You do see that he was trying to RS both Brice and Hadley. He will likely try and avoid burning 2. But he will not punish the other kids on the team who are trying to learn, do the right thing, and win by pulling you and me out of the stands and lining us up at corner to protect a RS.

You're wrong about a few things. Adams redshirted his true frosh year. I can buy the argument that he has to burn either Hadley or McAllister's RS. But Diaco has stated that McAllister is going to play in games. And because Hadley is listed on the 2 deep, we are basing this on the assumption that BOTH of them will play.

Reaction Score
Carl he is playing because Jones got hurt.

All of that might be true - I don't much care how he sees himself. I just would like to see some consistent logic applied to decisions.

Specifically decisions where you weigh risk/reward in game and decisions where you balance what you do today with what the future ROI is.

This feels EXACTLY like Boyle. There hasn't be any need to play him to date instead it's a wasted year and he's somehow regressing in games.

Obviously, if Jones isn't out, there is no need to bump up a younger player on the roster. Holy crap, I didn't think I need to point that out - the discussion here is about who gets bumped up. I thought at least.

I've made the point a few times now, I'm not going to put up all the info and links and articles blah blah that I've looked at over the past several weeks trying to get inside the head of this coach and figure out WTF he is doing. Vast majority of you all won't read it anyway, and if you are interested, it's not hard to find. I"ve given plenty of clues of what I'm talking about. I have no direct knowledge of this, but I'd bet the boat, that Diaco is assembling his game day rosters based on player evaluations, that are coming from a detailed, multifactorial approach to evaluation, of which physical skill level, is just one. There is a TON of off field stuff going into his player evaluations - IMNSHO - as well it should be, because I believe that college football exists, as an adjunct to an education and going from a teenager to an adult. I don't know how much more clear I can be about this. With the view I have developed after reading a lot about this quirky guy in the past few weeks tryign to figure out WTF is going on, the things he's said, done, regarding player personnel through almost a full year now - it all makes very clear sense. He has a very detailed plan as to defining what a complete football player in his program is supposed to be, and how those players are supposed to get there, and how they are progressing in that regard, is related directly to where they stand on the depth charts. Physical skill level, is only a small part.

One more way to put this - IF, IF - we had a solid roster of 3rd, 4th year players - that were of the same mold - as say a Byron Jones, or a Deshon Foxx - a rookie like McAllister would not ever see the two deep roster on game day. And I use Jones, and Foxx as examples - not because of physical ability alone - but what they represent off the field as individuals representing themselves, and their university as well.

This is nothing like boyle BTW. Boyle has been on the depth chart, and getting playing time since Cochran went out in September. it's pretty simple about Boyle, breaking it all down finally as the season goes on. If the kid would get in the game and do something good, instead of something bad - he would play more. Simple.

As I've said upteen times now - the player personnel choices that Diaco is making to assemble game day rosters? I got no problem with the process and selection. I've got lots of questions about WTF we are doing to assemble game plans, tactics and strategy in offensive and defensive structures, play calling from those structures, and game time coaching decision making - to achieve those wins. So far, all of that is failing.

THe individual player development part of Diaco's program is working great - it's a tried and true plan and approach. His team building toward winning, is what's not working - to date. Putting a true freshmen in the 2-deep when a 5th year senior goes out? That should tell you about the recruiting that's been done in the past 6 years. That's all.

Reaction Score
Redshirting players is the opposite of cutting corners. It's showing patience and taking the long view.

If you think UConn can be successful in the long term not redshirting players in general I'd strongly disagree with that. When you aren't landing top shelf recruits ready to step in and play it's how you build depth and put players on the field after they have developed rather than before.

Oh come on dude. Redshirting is a luxury that comes with having adequate depth charts. Redshirting is the end product of decent recruiting and player development, not the starting point - offensive linemen being the only marked exception. Our OL recruiting has been a disaster for many years now. Hopefully Pasqualoni's classes will come along in Diaco's plan, and Diaco's first class, and next class, stops that trend - now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh come on dude. Redshirting is a luxury that comes with having adequate depth charts. Redshirting is the end product of decent recruiting and player development, not the starting point - offensive linemen being the only marked exception. Our OL recruiting has been a disaster for many years now. Hopefully Pasqualoni's classes will come along in Diaco's plan, and Diaco's first class, and next class, stops that trend - now.

Redshirting is not a luxury for a 1-6 team. It's a necessity. It's how a program like UConn creates the depth you claim to need to have.

This conversation is lunacy.

Reaction Score
Have to say. Carl's post is spot on, and it didn't take him a chapter to make a very valid point. I get the counter argument, that this seems like a lost season, and how much could McCallister actually matter in the results, but you have to line up and play every game on the schedule. I far from love the idea of removing redshirts at this point, but if there is a necessity there, I don't see an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom